MrEarl

MrEarl's Daily Therapeutic Dose of Buick

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

My first thought, sell the skirts and use the money for wide whites. 

Thatb was what I had wanted to say, but thought it would be viewed as "judgemental"

I also love Cadillacs, and our '41 and '54 have fender skirts - and so does our '95 Fleetwood Brougham

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Thatb was what I had wanted to say, but thought it would be viewed as "judgemental"

I also love Cadillacs, and our '41 and '54 have fender skirts - and so does our '95 Fleetwood Brougham

That's OK as I'm honestly unsure about them yet. These are not factory designed like the Cad's therefore an aftermarket accessory. It's going to take further thought before I say yea or nay.

1 minute ago, dei said:

That's OK as I'm honestly unsure about them yet. These are not factory designed like the Cad's therefore an aftermarket accessory. It's going to take further thought before I say yea or nay.

Keep the skirts,

Add the Wide Whites,

Maybe a Fox Tail on the antenna (Ariel?)

Your favorite gal's hair ribbon on the mirror - or Fuzzy Dice

I stii get lost in the 50s, and think it can be cool - well maybe skip the Foxtail?

But a pair of Glass-Paks would be neat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The skirts are easy to pop on and off. It really depends on what they trigger for you personally.

I put a pair of steel packs on my Riviera and don't really care for them anymore. Luckily I have a full stock system (a couple pieces from Jolly John) that I can put on. Actually "I" was in my 50's when I put them on. Stuck in the 50's or my 50's.

That '58 already has a lot of Wurlitzer flavor in the quarters. I wouldn't push it. But if you did, the extended continental kit with Lady Luck painted on it can be added to Marty's list.

I hope I didn't sound judgemental. Sometimes it just slips in between cynical, opinionated, and discriminating.

Bernie

• Thanks 1

I'd really need to see a shot of the entire car from the side before I could offer any opinion on them one way or the other...

Planning on getting her out tomorrow and will post shot.

Late on the picture and not the best shot but...

IMG_2785.thumb.JPG.b5eebc0510b26442799d83c87a8d1c49.JPG

• Like 2

Hmmmm, I dunno whether the color difference is part of the problem, but I'm thinking the fender skirt diminishes the impact of the sweepspear.  It's as if the spear accentuates the wheel opening, however, the skirt 'plugs the hole' so it's as if the sweepspear looks superflous or out of place...  I guess I prefer the 'naked look' on this car.  ;)

• Thanks 1

I didn't intend to hi-jack MrEarl's thread here but guess it is "Buick Therapy" at a stretch...

I discovered the skirts are a tight fit with the profile of radial tires and body roll that comes with coil suspension rubbing a bit on the tires when properly in place. :(

It is going to take some massaging with regard to the flange before I'll be able to trust driving with them on.

They are Fox Craft units I bought years ago while running bias ply tires and those have different profiles than radials. I am of your opinion and unsure if I really like the look for the reasons you stated... 

For now they are going back in the garage as Wall Art since I have other projects that require attention to keep the '58's on the road...

Edited by dei (see edit history)

On 3/16/2018 at 8:13 AM, dei said:

I didn't intend to hi-jack MrEarl's thread here but guess it is "Buick Therapy" at a stretch...

no problem, in fact thanks for keeping up the meds while the doctors away :D

• Haha 1

NOW THAT'S "SPECIAL:)

tumblr_o99acixxfT1qcdxvpo1_1280.thumb.jpg.22b5382c42cf1b49c5c7eae492b6ba12.jpg

• Like 1

The life of a chick magnet is not always easy.

PoolRM.jpg.02d26d41759133bf879835d90c25a4a0.jpg

I have absolutely NO comment on what the man at the top left may be saying.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No skirts! Bad enough when I see chromed ones on 58 Limiteds. Like your idea to put the$$ toward wide whites. Not gangster walls, though. They look dumpy on 58s.   2 1/2 to 3 inches max. I've enjoyed your posts. Your Limiteds bring back great memories of my 755 known as the bottomless wonder. Plywood trunk floor etc. ; but never let me down on BCA tours and 2 National Meets in the 70s. Eventually it made it's way to Gene Reynolds and was totally dismantled to supply spares to keep other 58s running.

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2018 at 11:21 AM, Glassesguy said:

Your Limiteds bring back great memories of my 755 known as the bottomless wonder.

Any pictures of her to help with MrEarl's Daily Therapy?

Getting a jump on Tail Light Tuesday. 

IMG_2854.thumb.JPG.6e7f615455f84d8d17adadfd6007f165.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Taillight Tuesday is here once again - so:

here is the rear - our "Fiorello",

Mayor LaGuardia's 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton

image.jpeg

• Like 4

And here is a Taillight Tuesday 1960 Electra at the Henderson Collection in Mobile, Alabama we saw last weekend in connection with the AACA SOUTHEAST WINTER MEET

image.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/26/2018 at 7:06 PM, dei said:

Any pictures of her to help with MrEarl's Daily Therapy?

Your picture in post #592 is right on to what mine looked like - missing louver(s) and skinny whites.

• Thanks 1

IMG_2901.thumb.JPG.e778a602097ce240ae0415e1c50093b4.JPG

• Like 1

Not afraid to put her to work.

IMG_2953.thumb.JPG.7dbaed5e587b42a647ceca2905fcb5b3.JPG

• Like 3

Made some progress on my 1915 McLaughlin touring car lately so an update is provided.  Last I posted I got it running with the original Marvel carburetor.  Body is back on the frame. battleship linoleum is applied to the running boards and I installed the old top just so I can get it off the floor.  Last fall I did a bad job of painting of the hood in  black single stage.  I had to sand off the paint on the louvered sections and redo them but I managed to save the tops with 1000 grit  and then 2000 grit before machine compounding and polishing.  Today I installed the hood on the car and it is wonderful to be past that issue, looks good to me.  I have an arrangement with a local restoration shop who does small jobs for me and he doesn't mind me bringing in jobs if I do them myself.  So I sandblasted the windshield, I provided the sand and the labour he let me use his shop and equipment.  I pointed out a small dent in the tubing and asked him how to repair it.  Turns out it was a small job and he fixed the dent for me, again looks good.  Windshield parts are painted black and ready to go on.  Next step rear fenders, end is in sight now, I am going to install the original upholstery at least to begin with.  The last load of nickel plating is due from the platers soon.  I plan to drive the car locally this summer and work out the bugs if any before hitting the road.  Thanks, Gary Van Dyken

DSC_4414.JPG

DSC_4411.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

Made some progress on my 1915 McLaughlin touring car lately so an update is provided.

Hey Gary, looks like some great progress! It would be great to see this in the Me and My Buick Forum as a running thread of the project.  http://forums.aaca.org/forum/58-me-and-my-buick/

What ever happened to  tail light Tuesday?

231637003_DSC09097(1).JPG.ca4ef3adc32a7e0323d7d76db4f79ea7.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1