MrEarl's Daily Therapeutic Dose of Buick

MrEarl

1 hour ago, billbuickgs said:

Lamar ,

The last RED picture is a 53 Skylark , Your not heading down  the " 53 HIGHWAY " are you ???????????????????

Bill

Nah, last I heard the toll fee was pretty high on that road. Wouldn't mind cruising down it though.

46 minutes ago, Thriller said:

Nah...he's just a fan of curves ???

You got it :D

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 7:40 PM, dei said:

5a2b3b7d0d74c_1958BuickSpecial-PortHuron-2006-pic2copy-re-touched.thumb.jpg.7737ca716c07e2c878ffbd0aa25f4564.jpg

dei, that view looks very familiar, and I believe we've parked at that spot. Where is it?

Love your '58 !

Thanks Marty!

Appreciate the like.

This was taken "a few years ago" in Port Huron, Michigan almost under the Blue Water Bridge spanning the St Clair River with her recent finished twin bridge looking north out into Lake Huron. 

While I'm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada this particular day I crossed into Michigan over the Ambassador Bridge at Detroit with two other friends following north along the Detroit River, drove along Lake St. Clair, along the St. Clair River, spent the afternoon at a Classic Boat Show hold on the Black River and just had to take pictures at the mouth of the St. Clair River.

Under normal highway driving (on I-94) it is about an 1 hour and 15 minute drive but... along the route I described we enjoyed the unobstructed views taking our time and made a FULL day of it returning home via the same route. 

On the way home we stopped at Port Huron's Tourist Information restored / re-purposed gas station.

5a2ca8c3dd3c3_58BuickGasStation(2)-Copy.thumb.jpg.a33519f2095f48212f513fb3635dd522.jpg

'Twas a great day! :D

• Like 5

No I did not Ed. We were all still so pumped enjoying the moments I actually didn't notice the Riv till you mentioned it just now...

Naturally, a man who is a Riv nut would notice them :) just like I can spot a '58 in a Walmart parking lot going down the road! LOL

5 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Is that one of those 4 door Rivieras?

Possibly a Chrysler product in the background not a Riviera?

Yup, went back to my original scanned photo and zoomed in just before it started to distort. You're right that it has four doors so can't be a Riv. 

Good eyes.

Edited by dei (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, dei said:

Yup, went back to my original scanned photo and zoomed in just before it started to distort. You're right that it has four doors so can't be a Riv. 

Good eyes.

Yep, I noticed the length of the quarter panel, the extra door handle, and the window down on the back door, actually quite a bit different. It is "kind of close" at first glance, but definitely not a last generation Riviera.

5a2b3b7c97f1f_1958BuickSpecial-PortHuron-2006-pic2copy-re-touched_jpg_a95d3a71a10ca437f2526ff2b391e664.1.thumb.jpg.2994f6c44a439208a26acb0d4a6307f6.jpg

Sorry Ed.

• Thanks 1

Same day different view looking south (down River).

5a2d3b03e4527_1958BuickSpecial-PortHuron-2006-pic3.thumb.jpg.2527e35107e0c056a7a212ed6e6f4943.jpg

Of note:

Imagine what looks like a small river is the only distance between the United States and Canada.

Now imagine the volume of water moving through there. Water from Lake Superior, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron end up here and continue on through Lake St. Clair, Lake Ontario and all the way down the St Lawrence River to the Atlantic Ocean.

Enough with the geography lesson and on with context of the thread...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

Sorry to hijack MrEarl, just wanted to mention the above ...

Good eye, Randall.  How close is the shape of the Chrysler (LHS?) To that of the four door Oldsmobile Aurora?  The Riv and the Aurora were built on the same platform.

19 hours ago, dei said:

Thanks Marty!

Appreciate the like.

This was taken "a few years ago" in Port Huron, Michigan almost under the Blue Water Bridge spanning the St Clair River with her recent finished twin bridge looking north out into Lake Huron. 

While I'm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada this particular day I crossed into Michigan over the Ambassador Bridge at Detroit with two other friends following north along the Detroit River, drove along Lake St. Clair, along the St. Clair River, spent the afternoon at a Classic Boat Show hold on the Black River and just had to take pictures at the mouth of the St. Clair River.

Under normal highway driving (on I-94) it is about an 1 hour and 15 minute drive but... along the route I described we enjoyed the unobstructed views taking our time and made a FULL day of it returning home via the same route. 

On the way home we stopped at Port Huron's Tourist Information restored / re-purposed gas station.

5a2ca8c3dd3c3_58BuickGasStation(2)-Copy.thumb.jpg.a33519f2095f48212f513fb3635dd522.jpg

'Twas a great day! :D

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

Did you get a chance to talk to the owner of the other Buick (Riviera) in the background?

dei,

I knew that we had parked in that area and taken that same photo many years back - just after leaving friends north of Detroit in Romeo Township and Washington, MI and then crossing the Blue water Bridge to travel to Niagara and on toward Hershey, PA - once with my wife and another time trailering our 1912 Oakland with an old-car buddy

Also have been in close proximity on both sides at Niagara River and at Sault Ste Marie -

We enjoy touring with our Canadian friends, and look forward to the 2019 Vintage Tour for pre-1932 vehicles

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3

That's from the ridge between Lewiston and Youngstown near the Niagara River.

Here's a shot looking over my Wife's shoulder at the Niagara River flowing into Lake Ontario. Old Fort Niagara is at the top right. The Youngstown Village Diner is a 45 minute ride along to Lake from me, as long as I stay on land. You can sit in the restaurant and see Canada and the Fort from your table.

080.thumb.jpg.a70c718d633be934e14c9d707bd0e94f.jpg

That day we had stopped at my Nephew's shop, nearby, to check progress on the convertible.

5a32d307cdc0e_098x(7).thumb.jpg.8578892c11aa320461709554748c21b1.jpg

The dirty kneed lad is making C-shaped cuts in the body stiffeners so the subframe mounts can be removed. We left him working and got lunch in the neat place. It's good to be the old guy.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bernie!

I have been to that Canadian Niagara River Water head on the Canadian side looking back at your view point but have not been on that particular side of New York State. Also can't see T.O from the Canadian side without traversing through someones property to the lake.

Might make for a good weekend trip in the Special next summer.

And now, back to your regular "MrEarl's Daily Therapeutic Dose of Buick" thread...  :lol:

• Thanks 1

Who loves you Baby?

Kojak-Buick-68-Corgi-Jr.jpg

• Like 1