Lack of flashing caused the leak.  I'm running all my own power. I'll have about 1k in it when done. But not having a whole new service from the electric company just a sub panel off my other garage.

Posted (edited)

I plan on doing much of mine myself,  but I still have to have an electrician (to make the building inspectors happy) set it up.  I have a few friends that are Electricians so I'm pretty sure I can do much of the work and they will just give me some pointers and help me if i get stuck on something. (One I Straightened and polished a bunch of the trim on his 65 Skylark project so he still owes me.)  I've done most of my own electrical to date on other projects, including completely rewiring our old house with an apartment over the garage,  Which I gutted when we moved in.  It's usually pretty basic unless you are trying to do some tricky.  Just keeping up with the latest codes sometimes becomes a problem if you aren't up on everything. 

I haven't even sat down to get a firm number but figured like everything on the project, figure high because it rarely ever comes in low.   I Imagine just the wire in the garage will be well over 1G.  Lighting another G or more likely 2 for LED lights.  

Small is not always bad.  

You get it done faster, it's alot cheaper to build , and doesn't drive your taxes up too much.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

Small is not always bad.  

You get it done faster, it's alot cheaper to build , and doesn't drive your taxes up too much.  

Kinda like telling a poor man that more money more problems...lol

• Haha 1

Not really.  You actually have time to work on your cars.  I spend all my time trying to get the garage done (just the shell and outside) as I have to keep paying that 340.00 building permit fee every year.   I might be building a big garage but I don't have alot of extra cash floating around so it's all as I can afford it.  If i had the extra Money I would hire it done,  just so I could get back to work on my cars.  As it is I have to sell my 40 Ford just to put a Floor in. I've sold off a few cars to pay for the materials and sold my old shop just to beable to start the project.  No heat, no real electric a gravel floor.  I'm doing all the work so it really crawls.  If i stop working on it and really pump the work into my business that will usually generate a little capital but it's all spent with a trip or two to the lumber yard.  I'm saving up now to buy Cedar shakes to do the upper ends.  They still need to be stained, which I'll be doing,  then I have to put them up. 

I have a friend building a similar garage(well it's all built as he has a much less restrictive income and 3 guys working steady for him on his projects) That's been giving me pointers on what I should and shouldn't do.  Trouble is it's usually expensive stuff to do it right so it takes a few months of work to afford the materials to do the jobs.  

If your size works for you great.  There are alot of days I would rather work on one of my cars.  I haven't even taken them out of the garage yet this year. Lately it's been yardwork and putting in flower gardens for the wife,  so nothing has been happening on the garage,   except of course just sending off that $340 check for the permit last week. I watch your project and others so we can all get different ideas and point things out we have made mistakes on to help save others the headaches and expense of doing it over or to pick up those ideas that might make our projects come out more user friendly as well.  

Ive not worked on a car since October last year...too busy trying to get my little shop done and keep my house afloat.  Many times the last 7 mos where ive thought about how id enjoy life if I xould get off this car addiction....

Just remember the car addiction is suppose to be the tranquilizer in our lives to give us peace and harmony.  I have to remind myself of that as I'm freezing to death on top of a ladder not being able to feel my fingers hammering nailers in place,  or outside in the sun in the summer getting cooked and sweating my butt off spreading dirt and stone.  I have to convince myself it will all be worth it when I can kick back and enjoy working on my old cars in their new palace.  LOL

Sad to think I could have bought a nice Auburn Convertible sedan for what I have invested in my garage.  I keep thinking how much money it's going to take to finish it, which means that much longer until I can actually start saving for one,  all the time they are one of the old cars that keep creeping up in price.  

I'm too committed now to stop,  so I have to see it through.  

After this winter I've been thinking I should have never started the project,  taken that chunk of money and moved south. 

Definitely does not bring me peace.  Hence my major downsizing

• Like 1

Is there any venting in the soffits to ridge or any insulation between the ceiling and the tin roof?   Just curious as I din't research these kits very much when I was looking to start my project.  

I got lucky and though I had dirt work to do today and spreading stone by hand much of it was in the shade and there was a little breeze part of the time which helped keep the bugs away. 

You should have your lighting done pretty soon.  With all the white surface it should be pretty bright.  My old shop had the lights at angles part way up the wall.  Seemed to give alot of light and not alot of shadows which was nice when working on something.  Do they require that you run the wiring in conduit since it's exposed?   Do you even have to get permits for any of the electrical work? 

I know if i could have gotten away with my building being an AG building I could have built anything I wanted with no fees or inspections.  They wouldn't let me since I don't have a farm,  though I have a 60 horse , horse farm on one side of me and the other neighbor has horses.  You have to love politics. 

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Is there any venting in the soffits to ridge or any insulation between the ceiling and the tin roof?   Just curious as I din't research these kits very much when I was looking to start my project.  

I got lucky and though I had dirt work to do today and spreading stone by hand much of it was in the shade and there was a little breeze part of the time which helped keep the bugs away. 

You should have your lighting done pretty soon.  With all the white surface it should be pretty bright.  My old shop had the lights at angles part way up the wall.  Seemed to give alot of light and not alot of shadows which was nice when working on something.  Do they require that you run the wiring in conduit since it's exposed?   Do you even have to get permits for any of the electrical work? 

I know if i could have gotten away with my building being an AG building I could have built anything I wanted with no fees or inspections.  They wouldn't let me since I don't have a farm,  though I have a 60 horse , horse farm on one side of me and the other neighbor has horses.  You have to love politics. 

There is insulation under the roof.  Yes supposed to be in conduit if exposed.  No comment on permits. 

Understand completely on the permit issue. There is a reason my building is an unheated gravel floor equipment shed.  One being quickest least expensive route to a CO.   I was just curious if codes were different in NC than NY.   I know taxes are much less where you are.  I think building might be less restrictive as well.  They charge us more to live here to tell us what to do with our lives.  We are right behind CA in regulations.  If it wasn't for Family in the area,  we would be long gone.  I can relocate my business to any place in the US with USPS  and internet access.   Still wondering why I'm still here some days. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When I built my pole barn 10 years ago, I wanted 30' x 50'.  When I went to the town for the permit they said I'd need stamped engineering drawings, since it's 1500 sq.ft. or more.  So, I built 30' x 48'.  Now I'm contemplating a 20' x 24' addition, but that's less than 1500 sq. ft. so no problem.  The codes officer also mentioned that the town is implementing stricter codes this fall based on American Wood Council code standards.  I don't think that will really impact what I'm doing, but I'd still rather get it done sooner than later...

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think as long as you get the permit before the codes are enacted and you build it to the plans you submit you are OK if they meet code at that time.  

When I applied for mine,  they were back logged because codes for insulation were getting ready to change and they had a bunch of contractors trying to get in before the change,  so that seems to me it's only on projects submitted after that date.   It would make sense as some projects take 6 months or more,  even for the pro companies,  so you couldn't effectively have a code change half way through the project.  I could see that creating all sorts of problems as the entire design would then need to be changed to accommodate.  

I have been making progress though very slow on mine and will post updates this week with photos. Something about one worker who is also they guy that has to make the money to pay for the materials,  slowing the whole thing down. ;) 

Electrical is operational!  I have lights!  And Bob's old fan to keep me cool.

20190531_141128.jpg

• Like 4

Call me a trash picker but I was at the dump and this was gonna get thrown out...now got tunes in my shop. 

20190608_202749.jpg

20190608_202745.jpg

• Like 3

I have one that I bought over 40 years that is similar that I have in my shop in Flint.

• Like 1

The question is do you have any 8 tracks for it?  I think I still have 2 cases filled with oldies including the Beach Boys and a few of those oldies but goodies collections.  Dad had,  probably still has one in his garage.  Don't laugh,  they often work better than the new ones. 

I have a fancy Dewalt radio my Dad was getting rid of,  on one side of the shelf in my garage and a 20 year old small portable radio on the other side with a bent antennae.  I use that one for AM as it comes in real well.  I have the Dewalt set to the Local FM when the AM starts fading out in the evening or when I'm running power tools and creating too much interference.  Funny the Cheap crappy radio comes in better than the Fancy Dewalt radio.  My cooling comes courtesy of an old box fan that came with the house. I also use it to keep things dry on those rapid tempo transistion days as the moving air seems to keep everything from sweating. 

the first real work I've done with my old dump truck straightening the engine hoist so I can put the engine back in buttercup

20190721_140013.jpg

What's with the Dodge pickup hood ornament on that Buick?  :huh:

20190625_195733.thumb.jpg.f24e5d5adb55aa

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That is a Buick with a GOAT on the hood (not under the hood)

• Haha 2

Da*n garage is just never big enough! If you want to see the other shenanigans that happen here follow jackleg garage on facebook.

20191020_151000-2080x1560.jpg

20191020_151013-1560x2080.jpg

20191020_151040-1560x2080.jpg

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Da*n garage is just never big enough!

Good work!  It took me 20 plus years to cram my shop full of cars, parts and junk.  You did it in only 2 years!  Makes me feel like and amateur.  Good work!?:D 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Well, everyone needs a hearse in their barn. LOL 

That's my hotrod... but it's not Buick so....