NC pole barn

Understand completely on the permit issue. There is a reason my building is an unheated gravel floor equipment shed.  One being quickest least expensive route to a CO.   I was just curious if codes were different in NC than NY.   I know taxes are much less where you are.  I think building might be less restrictive as well.  They charge us more to live here to tell us what to do with our lives.  We are right behind CA in regulations.  If it wasn't for Family in the area,  we would be long gone.  I can relocate my business to any place in the US with USPS  and internet access.   Still wondering why I'm still here some days. 

• Like 2

When I built my pole barn 10 years ago, I wanted 30' x 50'.  When I went to the town for the permit they said I'd need stamped engineering drawings, since it's 1500 sq.ft. or more.  So, I built 30' x 48'.  Now I'm contemplating a 20' x 24' addition, but that's less than 1500 sq. ft. so no problem.  The codes officer also mentioned that the town is implementing stricter codes this fall based on American Wood Council code standards.  I don't think that will really impact what I'm doing, but I'd still rather get it done sooner than later...

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think as long as you get the permit before the codes are enacted and you build it to the plans you submit you are OK if they meet code at that time.  

When I applied for mine,  they were back logged because codes for insulation were getting ready to change and they had a bunch of contractors trying to get in before the change,  so that seems to me it's only on projects submitted after that date.   It would make sense as some projects take 6 months or more,  even for the pro companies,  so you couldn't effectively have a code change half way through the project.  I could see that creating all sorts of problems as the entire design would then need to be changed to accommodate.  

I have been making progress though very slow on mine and will post updates this week with photos. Something about one worker who is also they guy that has to make the money to pay for the materials,  slowing the whole thing down. ;) 

The question is do you have any 8 tracks for it?  I think I still have 2 cases filled with oldies including the Beach Boys and a few of those oldies but goodies collections.  Dad had,  probably still has one in his garage.  Don't laugh,  they often work better than the new ones. 

I have a fancy Dewalt radio my Dad was getting rid of,  on one side of the shelf in my garage and a 20 year old small portable radio on the other side with a bent antennae.  I use that one for AM as it comes in real well.  I have the Dewalt set to the Local FM when the AM starts fading out in the evening or when I'm running power tools and creating too much interference.  Funny the Cheap crappy radio comes in better than the Fancy Dewalt radio.  My cooling comes courtesy of an old box fan that came with the house. I also use it to keep things dry on those rapid tempo transistion days as the moving air seems to keep everything from sweating. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I had to redo my septic drain field recently. In digging up the yard the wire to the shop got uncovered. I asked everyone a THOUSAND times if they'd hit the wire and all answered no...  Now its all buried and its rained 3 days suddenly one leg of power to my shop is dead!  There are not enough explicatives in ANY language .....

I cut a line running from the house to the well once while planting a large root ball tree and used an underground splice kit. Lasted about 3 years. Ended up trenching and laying another, this time in conduit with a nylon string accompanying the wire. Hopefully your splice was done better than mine.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I just did a short yard plug away from the house.  Absolutely put it in the gray plastic conduit.  I only want to dig the trench once.

Well this has already been the the trench a couple years now. I don't know what you mean "short yard plug" this is 2-2-2-4 service entrance cable, not sure I can fit that in a plug. 

2 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Well this has already been the the trench a couple years now. I don't know what you mean "short yard plug" this is 2-2-2-4 service entrance cable, not sure I can fit that in a plug. 

I needed a plug out in the yard to plug in stuff. Christmas lights, etc.. I put it in a flower bed.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mine looks much the same.  Don't feel bad.  It's because you are always in a rush to get to the next project like me.  Not that we don't like a clean garage, there is just more important tasks to get done.

One good thing with cleaning, I always find tools I have been looking for. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This past weekend I went to help clean out the old family house. 60 years of memories in there (not quite 60 for me personally). Anyhow here's 1/10th or less of what I toted home: table and full array of parts cleaning equipment (uncle was a gun smith).

20200528_175415.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Also, now that I have a lift... there is no going back.  This weekend I made a minor change that on the ground, screwing with Jack stands etc might have taken me 2 hours. Took 30 minutes on the lift and then I had an extra 90 minutes of cruising time!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Also, now that I have a lift... there is no going back.  This weekend I made a minor change that on the ground, screwing with Jack stands etc might have taken me 2 hours. Took 30 minutes on the lift and then I had an extra 90 minutes of cruising time!

Well that's awesome man!  And I'm envious of the lift you have!   Enjoy the new ride!    

• Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, NC-car-guy said:

This weekend I made a minor change that on the ground, screwing with Jack stands etc might have taken me 2 hours. Took 30 minutes on the lift

Exactly! It's all about using the right tool for the job.  ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...