Sign in to follow this  
Gwood

chevy cameo

Anyone know how to tell a cameo pickup from a regular chevy pickup? is it in the vin number?

Any info would be helpful, Thanks Glenn

You must be talking about a shell of a truck, as the dead giveaway is the fiberglass bed and the distinctive tail lights.  I owned one in the 1970's, when few people were collecting trucks and fewer people knew what a Cameo was all about.  Neat trucks.

So really the difference between a 1955 cameo and other chevy trucks of that year is the cameo had a fiberglass truck bed

The Cameo was made 1955-59. It was an upgraded truck with chrome bumpers, grille, etc instead of the painted variety The interior was upgraded from the standard pickup of the day, and it had the wide fiberglass bed. Each year tended to be fancier than the previous year. It was one of the first trucks to break out of the work vehicle mode. I had a 58 gold and cream Cameno that replaced a standard 55 chevy 1/2 ton. There was no comparison to the two for comfort and style. Here is a 57 th?&id=OIP.Mc7f2dd28b328c39354f5eb284144

I think I just cried a little.  In my little town of Alexandria, Louisiana, we had a small grocery store, Owl's Fine Foods.  Yes, a few cents more expensive than the bigger stores, but they had good stuff and delivered to your home if you were a faithful customer.  The delivery vehicle was a 50's Cameo pickup.

They went out of business in the 70's, I think.  Back then, you guys will remember this, trucks just weren't that sought after.

One day, my mailman rang my doorbell, I went to the front door.  He said he knew that I fooled with old cars (guess the ones in the driveway were dead giveaways!), and would I be interested in a Cameo pickup.  I honest to goodness had no idea what he was talking about, but for his $300 asking price I'd come take a look.  And yes, it was the Owl's Fine Foods truck.

It was a nice truck, used but not worn out, and I couldn't get over the fiberglass bed and how nice the back of the truck looked.  I bought it, and started looking for information on Cameo pickups.  My research (paper, remember, no Internet then, so magazines and letters) led me to the President of the Cameo Pickup Club in Dallas, Texas.  Wow, here there's a club, and I didn't know anything about the trucks!

He asked for pictures, and next thing you know he's on my home landline (the only option, remember, 1970's), and asking if I'd sell him the truck.  Well, maybe, not really attached to it but I like it.  He offered me $1500.  Guys, that was a lot of money in my younger years, in a little town in Alexandria, so I said sure.  Just like a lot of history, you have to go back to the time and place and understand the conditions of the times.  It didn't make sense for me to keep it then, but of course, looking back, wish I'd just put it away in storage.  Useless wishing.

Very interesting trucks, to say the least.....built at a time when trucks were just plow horses, and rarely thoroughbreds.....

Yes, times were very different in the 1960-70's. Money was hard to come by. There was a story behind my Cameo also. I was working on a ranch in West Texas that was owned by a Hollywood producer who had inherited it. The ranch was his toy. He used a 59 Cadillac coupe deville for a ranch car! (this was in 1962) Money was no object to him. He had bought the Cameo for a ranch truck and I convinced him we needed a 3/4 ton for the ranch work. He sold it to me instead of trading it in. I don't remember what he sold it to me for, but it could not have been much, on the 50.00 a week salary he paid me. It had been used on the ranch but still looked pretty good and ran ok. As a guy just out of high school I did not realize at the time that the ranch was just a toy and tax write-off for him.

Have a couple Cameo stories. First is of a house painter that brought his 55 by the shop and it was completely spackled with latex house paint and no head on the 235 engine. Said he needed $250 so I gave him the money and a guy listening to the transaction asked if I wanted to double my money and I said sure. Total ownership time about one minute. The second is a 57 that came with the factory Hydramatic trans and V8. It had a 440 Chrysler engine that there was a big hole in the passenger floor to clear the exhaust. The center had been cut out of the dash and the center of a Ford dash with radio welded in. Could have put 20 cats in the cab and yelled scat and each cat could jump out a different hole---a tad rusty. Decided to put back as original as possible and it has one it's class at every show entered. Bed was rough but no after market beds back then so LOTS of glass work.

Cameo002.jpg

Cameo001.jpg

Cameo003.jpg

Little off the Cameo subject, punch in on the net, "1957 Palomino", GMCs version of the Cameo. It has a great little story about it. GMCs had Pontiac engines back then.. Only 1 Palomino was made. The other similar GMC pickups 1955-59 to the Cameo, were called Suburbans...