1925 Dodge Brothers Coupe *SOLD*

055.JPG

*SOLD*

I got this lovely Dodge Brothers coupe in a trade recently and I have to say I like the look. Far more substantial than, say, a Model T or even a Model A, it has an upscale vibe that I find appealing. I also like the low, wide stance, which seems much more muscular and sophisticated than the usual spindly mid-20s shape. Quite honestly, I know nothing of the car's history other than someone spent a rather big pile of money restoring it, certainly several times more than the very modest asking price. The Cobalt Blue is a period-correct color, although I don't know if Dodge was like Buick in offering each model in just one color. At any rate, it looks right, especially with the black fenders and disc wheels. The doors open and close easily, the hood fits well, and the turtle shell deck lid latches easily. The brightwork was originally nickel, of course, but today it's mostly chrome for lower maintenance and a permanent shine. I like the softer look of nickel on cars of this vintage, but I also remember the hours I spent polishing the stuff on my father's 1925 Buick and I don't think I'd miss that part of it. The bumpers are straight, the monogrammed Moto-Meter works properly, and the rear-mounted spare gives it a rakish look tilted forward like it is. This is a very handsome car from any angle.

The interior is black vinyl, which isn't correct but looks pretty good and the workmanship is excellent. Pleats look right and there's a rubber mat on the floor that is expertly fitted, not some Home Depot leftover installed by a guy with an Xacto knife. It's strictly two passengers, no rumble seat or opera seats behind, just a storage compartment for tools. The big steering wheel is substantial and I love the delicate spark and throttle levers in their own nickel-plated quadrant. Controls are quite simple, with a key surrounded by the headlight switch (all lights operational, by the way), and a centrally-mounted gauge pod with ammeter, speedometer, and oil pressure. The speedo doesn't work and I haven't investigated why, but the other dials function properly and the instrument light comes on when you hit the headlights. Incidentally, 1925 Dodge Brothers cars were 12 volts from the factory, which will be a big relief to those guys who think they need 12 volts to make a car go. It also means headlights are bright and bulbs are easy to get. The windshield has two panes, both of which open for ventilation, the side windows crank into the doors, and the rear windows have their own little latches so you can slide those down into the bodywork as well. Heck, even the vacuum wiper works! There's also a good-sized trunk with a complete set of tools and a jack inside. Nice, right?

I don't know a whole lot about Dodge engineering in 1925, but the big four-cylinder engine displaces a rather burly 212 cubic inches, more than a match for, say, a Buick Standard Six. Again, its history isn't known, but there's clearly a lot of money spent under the hood with fresh engine enamel, proper cloth-covered wiring harness, and vintage hoses and clamps. Someone made it look right. It also runs quite well, starting with a whispering sound that I haven't figured out--is it an electric starter or something else? Press the foot pedal and it makes a strange quiet wooshing sound, and then it's magically running. Very cool. You guys will note there's a fuel pressure regulator at the bottom of the vacuum tank and there's an electric fuel pump underneath, so the tank is bypassed, probably just by running the fuel line straight through it. Whatever the situation is, I'm not going to mess with it because the car starts and runs quite well. Someone tweaked it and I'm not going to un-tweak it. I'll post a video below so you can see it running--you'll notice the water pump has a little leakage, but it's not major and might even be able to be fixed by simply tightening the packing. That's the only thing I see that I might try to fix. Dodge guys will sympathize with me as I initially struggled to figure out the transmission, which is both non-synchro and oddly configured--not quite a reverse-H, but something unique to Dodge that puts high gear away and up, where 2nd is on a regular 3-speed. Brakes are external contracting in back, so they're adequate but you'd better plan your stops. There's also a recent exhaust system that is nice and quiet. You already know how much I like disc wheels, and these look great with 20-inch Bedford wide whites of indeterminate age.

It comes with tools and an owner's manual. It's a fully finished, ready-to-enjoy genuine antique that's a little out of the ordinary for the bargain-basement price of $16,900. I like the look and I've driven it a bit and it works like it should. If you're a Mopar guy or someone looking to try a really old car on for size, this is a great way to get started on a budget and not have to spend more money finishing a project. I doubt this coupe will last very long. Thanks for looking!

001.JPG003.JPG005.JPG007.JPG

016.JPG017.JPG025.JPG029.JPG

030.JPG032.JPG033.JPG034.jpg

043.JPG045.JPG048.JPG051.JPG

053.JPG054.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)