Lets talk about 348 409 stuff-1958 to 1965

3 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Nice looking in the photos. Don't let the valve covers fool you. There were no 425hp 409's in '65. It's either a transplant or a 340hp with 425hp decals. That air cleaner is also for the 425hp, I think.

I wonder if some just put on the 2X4's on an original 340 HP engine? It has factory A/C, I am pretty sure that you could not get A/C on a 400 HP engine, 340 only. I would have to check when I get upstairs.  It is a very highly optioned 65

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, John348 said:

I wonder if some just put on the 2X4's on an original 340 HP engine? It has factory A/C, I am pretty sure that you could not get A/C on a 400 HP engine, 340 only. I would have to check when I get upstairs.  It is a very highly optioned 65

AC was never optioned on the solid lift W. Only through the back door or a mule car.

3 hours ago, John348 said:

Hey Ed, 

Did you see this car in person? 

No I didn't go look at it. Reasons 1) Over priced

2) door and fender look wavy in yellow. not a good sign.

3) dealer was not too customer friendly.from previous experience.

4) Found a 1966 SS Impala 427 4 speed in excellent shape for $15,000 less. My buddy bought it without hesitation after the 65 owners kept raising the price.

66chvss 91ta68gto 088.jpg

66chvss 91ta68gto 082.jpg

Hey Ed,

Your buddy's 66 is a nice car! I wish him good luck with it.

On the 65, I can't see much detail on the photos, they were taken too far away from the car. From the photos it looks like an original interior. I have a friend of mine that has to have a 65 409 car. He has one now but it is a 340 HP powerglide, he wants a four speed. It is an interesting car to say the least. I did notice that there is an AM/FM, tilt, and a wood wheel in it as well. My friend said he is going to call tomorrow and get some better photos and the engine number. I realize that the 65's are low production, but seldom is one ever seen for sale.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Hey Ed,

Your buddy's 66 is a nice car! I wish him good luck with it.

On the 65, I can't see much detail on the photos, they were taken too far away from the car. From the photos it looks like an original interior. I have a friend of mine that has to have a 65 409 car. He has one now but it is a 340 HP powerglide, he wants a four speed. It is an interesting car to say the least. I did notice that there is an AM/FM, tilt, and a wood wheel in it as well. My friend said he is going to call tomorrow and get some better photos and the engine number. I realize that the 65's are low production, but seldom is one ever seen for sale.

I do not think this is an original 409 car. Here are a few that have sold.

2-LouBaska.jpg

1965 409 (3).jpg

1965 409 (4).jpg

1965 409 (7).jpg

1965 409 (8).jpg

1965 409 (9).jpg

1965 409 (10).jpg

1965 409 (12).jpg

1965 409 (13).jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

1 hour ago, countrytravler said:

I do not think this is an original 409 car. Here are a few that have sold.

I don't think is either, but I would not rule anything out until there is more information. Sold one's don't really help when someone is looking for ones currently for sale.

9 hours ago, padgett said:

Note the jacked up back of the hood on race cars. Heat would just roll out into the plenum area. SCCA made it illegal on Corvettes so I just used 6 inch hood pins and no latches. They outlawed that the next year.

Vette hoods were front hinged. Just say it opened on its own. lol

Just now, John348 said:

I don't think is either, but I would not rule anything out until there is more information. Sold one's don't really help when someone is looking for ones currently for sale.

I just posted them for reference. They showed up on my FB 409 page when they were for sale. About one a year shows up for sale.

Pontiacs are a lot easier, can turn a VIN into an options list for any car of the 60s and 70s. Know the team that worked very hard to make that possible back when I was seriously into authentication. Now I don't care that much.

Yeppers, multiplex was available in big cars in '65, smaller cars only got three knobs (hard to hold the scanner lid down).

65mpx.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John348 said:

My friend has been looking for a 65 409 car with a 4 speed, he is looking for an original protecto-plate car, condition is not as important as number to him.

They do pop up. Have him join my FB page and the 348 409 forum. 

Just now, countrytravler said:

They do pop up. Have him join my FB page and the 348 409 forum. 

There is also a 65 Impala FB page that may help.

8 minutes ago, John348 said:

Not everybody is a facebook person, I know I  am not and neither is he

8 minutes ago, John348 said:

Not everybody is a facebook person, I know I  am not and neither is he

Just trying to help. If he was, he would have found one by now maybe. Never know. Good luck on the search.

PS 

348/409 forum not a FB page.

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

If the aircleaner is any indication, this is a 425hp car. Same aircleaner as the Z16 Chevelles. The 325 hp would have had a single snorkel. 

This was my dads 65 396 425 65 in the background. Taken in 1970.

18920433_1578000592224065_4784238048549073006_n.jpg

I don't know if the yellow 65 is an original 409 car, but if it was sold new in Canada the GM Vintage Vehicle documents can verify that.

I know where there's a 1964 Pontiac Parisienne Custom Sport 409/425 in pristine condition. I have seen it twice. Been sworn to secrecy on it.

The owner is a really nice guy, but prefers not to show his car(s). This Pontiac has all the GM paperwork, #'s match, etc.

Was the cowl induction standard ? '67 Z-28 had something similar but was an option.

Given a choice I'd rather have a 66 Grand Prix with 421/tripower, 4-speed, and AC. But for now my Judge (4 spd - AC) will have to do.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, padgett said:

Was the cowl induction standard ? '67 Z-28 had something similar but was an option.

Given a choice I'd rather have a 66 Grand Prix with 421/tripower, 4-speed, and AC. But for now my Judge (4 spd - AC) will have to do.

I had the close Canadian cousin to that. 1966 Grand Parisienne factory 396 4 speed. Oshawa built with documents. It's in Sweden now. My brother sold it to a friend of ours who shipped it there.

18 hours ago, Mark I said:

There were only 50 Z-11s built. The shipping manifest from Tonawanda showed 50 QM engines shipped to Flint for production. 20 others were for over the counter sales.

There were actually 4 total black cars:

Mike Lenke - Ed Priester Chevrolet (CA)

Bures Hall - Mancuso Chevrolet (IL)

Jack Cooley - Olivier Chevrolet (LA)

V.P. Hartgrove - Stokes Motor Co. (NC)

Mark

I stand corrected.

Thank you,

Dave

5 minutes ago, John348 said:

Looks that way, until someone tries to hijack the thread (HINT HINT)

Where was it hijacked? No rules. Funny that some people said I'm out of here and they come back. HINT HINT!

The post says, Lets talk about 348 409 stuff-1958 to 1965.

If its close to it, I have no problem with it. Its educational and interesting.

17880745_10211014946962341_6289334817265884068_o.jpg

4 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Where was it hijacked? No rules. Funny that some people said I'm out of here and they come back. HINT HINT!

The post says, Lets talk about 348 409 stuff-1958 to 1965.

If its close to it, I have no problem with it. Its educational and interesting.

17880745_10211014946962341_6289334817265884068_o.jpg

You misquoted me, I said until they talk about Pontiacs and their GTO. So please use the entire sentence not select words.

53 minutes ago, John348 said:

You misquoted me, I said until they talk about Pontiacs and their GTO. So please use the entire sentence not select words.

Yes sir!!

If its close to it, I have no problem with it. Its educational and interesting. Really no hard set rules. lets move on and have a good time with it. 

We have enough negativity in this world.

8 minutes ago, padgett said:

Wouldabin surprised if not chastised by the glee club. "She's so fine my 409". Understand now ? 

I do understand that you were knowingly taking the thread in a different direction, so to answer your question, I do understand 

4 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Here is the best version.

I never heard of Junior Brown. The Beach Boys were really not my style of music, the guitar work on this version is very good. Always enjoy covers of songs done with a different interpretation of the original song Thanks for sharing that

4 minutes ago, John348 said:

I do understand that you were knowingly taking the thread in a different direction, so to answer your question, I do understand 

I never heard of Junior Brown. The Beach Boys were really not my style of music, the guitar work on this version is very good. Always enjoy covers of songs done with a different interpretation of the original song Thanks for sharing that

He is a country singer. Personal friends with him in Nashville. Met Mr. Brown through my son. My son is in the Music industry in Nashville. Here he is on WSM radio station.

19029426_10154444738192063_4138212613383870395_n.jpg