Something Died in my Heater

Wait it out? Eventually whatever it is will desiccate and dry out and won't smell any more. Put in a bunch of odor absorbing charcoal canisters you get from Home Depot in the mean time. Not a great solution, but if you don't feel like tearing the dash apart on a wild goose chase, that's what I'd do. The smell isn't permanent if whatever it is is well and truly dead and not just nesting in there. Something died in my father's basement and we spent the better part of a Sunday tearing the place apart looking for whatever it was. No dice, probably in the walls somewhere. The smell went away in 2-3 weeks. Just be sure to keep the windows open and maybe some air moving through the car so the smell doesn't soak into the soft interior parts and linger there.

Not a great answer, I'll admit, but tearing apart dashboards and ventilation systems is a recipe for disaster when you go to put everything back together, especially on a complex car like this. It may never work right again...

14 hours ago, johngoodman said:

I can definitely smell something dead in my heater vents. Looking at the Service Manual, I have to pull quite a bit of panel off to get to it. Anybody done this before? Any suggestions?

DSCN0469.JPG

This is pretty much what you need to get down to in order to remove the heater/AC unit. That is it, there on the right side still attached to the 'firewall.'

22 hours ago, Bill Reichert said:

.........You could have warned him to be seated before the pics! Might as well do the heater core while it's torn apart.  Unless you live in sun drenched Az!

:blink:

Well, he is warned now. Was just showing him the greatest access to the heater/AC box. Even we lucky folks in AZ get a little frost in the winter time. A little warm air is nice then.

I have had many a/c evaps with plugged drains, and the reason for checking for a plugged drain , was that the car owner was complaining about the stink when they turned the a/c on. My guess would be a plugged drain.

• 2 weeks later...