Why I'm not in a local chapter

Frantz

From time to time there are post about why more young people aren't involved. These thoughts have nothing to do with interest in automobiles, but in how we conduct the business of the clubs. From the get go, I'm not trying to start a battle, tell folks how to run their successful clubs, and certainly don't mean any sort of personal attacks. But, I do consider myself an active AACA member (I traveled from Pa to Charlotte and will be in New Bern for judging, and of course the local Hershey event). I'm younger than avg at 33 and somehow mostly outgrew my hot rodding days and fell in love with historic preservation (though I still have a 94 Mustang to be rodded and a 65 Marlin that will be rodded for the sake of preserving what otherwise would be a parts car due to current and likely future values). I apologize for the lengthy intro, but again, I wish to make these comments as constructive criticism, not as any sort of jab. Perhaps some regions are different, but I'm speaking for the few I have the geographic opportunity to take part with. Feel free to pass it all off to me being a millennial, but I really want to see more folks my age keep the history alive. 

1. Lack on online pay. This one is the biggest! I write one check a month for rent. I'm young and don't have a savings account, so I spend each paycheck. If I was better with money I would have one nice car rather then 7 or 8 projects. If I write you a check for $25-35 bucks I promise you I'll be irresponsible and forget about it. I'll likely get hit with an overdraft and then it double the cost of entry. So I simply don't write it. I would much rather simply click "pay now" and see it pulled from my bank account, much like the AACA web page does. Having to print out a form, fill it out by hand, write a check, and mail it to someone seems more outdated than our car's technology. From the club perspective it would likely greatly increase membership for folks who have less interest than someone like myself who may well join in passing. Some of these folks will be reached in time, others may never show up, but heck, its another drop in the bucket for the preservation hobby! Also, while many folks may be more comfortable with checks, myself and many young folks actually feel much safer with online transactions than mailing checks in the postal service to a club treasurer we don't know at all.

2. Attendance requirements. This may be just Hershey, I didn't see it posted on other sites. I get it, we should promote active membership. I tried quite hard to hit my requirements, but without an old car to drive myself, driving an hour to tour with my '15 Fiesta just didn't seem too appealing. So I tried to make it up with the business meetings. Not allowing members to even join until spring and then only having the bare minimum number to meet requirements (and only if you drive an old car which I had to borrow) wasn't very inviting. While trying to maintain eligibility I even had a friend drive me from a family party where I had consumed a few beers just so I could check in. Alas, I was sick and didn't want to pass on my germs for one of the meetings and it threw all my numbers off. I was graciously allowed to remain in the club if only I could do a little better next year. No thanks. Young folks still have jobs, have young kids, have other social events, and may only own heaps we hope to bring back to glory. I really wanted to be more involved, but the pressure of the requirement ended up being a huge turn off in a very busy year for my family. Plus I would have to write another check rather than just clicking some web page buttons.

3. Any requirements to be sponsored or recommended. That's just silly to even ask.

Actually that's it. The folks are great, the cars awesome, the intent of the club is true. Seems I'm just being stubborn. I'll eventually break down and join one of the local regions, so it won't matter. But I find the value of all this whining to be that others likely feel it and simply never say anything. I don't think it's actually asking the clubs to change their character to consider these easy points. One is simply updating their web sites to look and act like something from this millennium, and the others are to cut out the notion of removing temporary inactive but willingly paying members and new faces. Why folks can't easily give money and not have as much time as intended to participate boggles my mind. I feel we should be as inviting and welcoming as an idealist church. Welcome all regardless of automotive sins, and be tolerant of mistakes and busyness along the way, and an easy to access offering plate.

See me in New Bern and I will explain further.  The lack of paying online is a feature that seemingly is easily correctable BUT it is mostly an issue of the local regions/chapters who sponsor our events want the money to go directly to them and that is where the rub is.  Then there is the issue of the cost of the credit card fees (in many states you cannot charge more for use of CC) as these meets run at close to a break even or loss in some cases.

The national club runs the Auburn meet and we can take credit cards for that one.  Someday we may have the right solution to this issue as we agree with you.  Absolutely!

Attendance requirements.  That is up to the local region/chapter and some do and some don't.  In the case of the few I know that have it is a factor of benefits they give to the members and they want active members not just joiners.  Regions and chapters are autonomous so yes, you have to pay them directly.  They are separate legal entities.

The asking for a sponsor is not a requirement it is so we can send the "I Got a Member" pin if a member actually has helped us to get a new member. People love these pins!

By the way, we are in fact coming out with an all new website store in the next month or so.  It will be much simpler to use.

There may be other regions or chapters in this area that will work better for you so you should check them out...glad you are speaking out. See you in a couple of days!

• Like 2

On your first point, I can understand your point and in the future, I think it will happen for most Regions and Chapters. With the majority demographic of the club being older, it just has not happened yet. I am the Treasurer of my local Chapter and we have not had anybody specifically ask for online payment yet, but I see it coming in the future. Generally, we invite people to a meeting and they fill out a form that does take a few minutes to fill out and then they hand me a check and the form at the end of the meeting.

On your second point, I think that must be a Hershey Region thing. Maybe some others have meeting attendance requirements but I know of no others that do. I suspect that is simply because Hershey's Fall Meet makes it a bit different from other Regions. Hornet's Nest Region is about the only other one that has a somewhat similar event. 

On your third point, I think Steve has already answered it. There is certainly no requirement for have a sponsor to join any of the Regions or Chapter that I am a member of. 

Hopefully I might get a chance to meet you and talk with you in New Bern. I will be showing a 1937 Buick Century in DPC and will be judging.  

• Like 2

I am the Treasurer of my local Chapter and we have not had anybody specifically ask for online payment yet, but I see it coming in the future.

That's why I posted. I figured no one asks, then we just never hear from them. I'm pretty outgoing myself. A shy person may want to "lurk" until they feel a connection or are engaged and get a personal invite to a meet. I'm from an introverted generation in many ways, but I also find that once a connection is made, folks my age do open up and enjoy actual social events. It's just not a part of our daily fabric as we have "evolved" to connect primarily through technology.

• Like 1

Attendance requirements;

Seems odd that they may complain of lack of funds, yet exclude those who would gladly help fill the coffers yet take nothing in return but to be included. Somebody joining is a participant, maybe not in person, but part of the club none the less. That is a head scratcher to be sure.

Online payment;

I do not see the problem here. There are several secure ways to pay and ea one can direct the funds to the appropriate specific local club. It could not be easier. Setup a PayPal account, CC or any of the other options. Anything but the print, fill, write, snail mail and wait... wait... wait... This appears to just be either somebody in the local chapter who does not know how to do it and will not educate themselves on how its done or stuck in the 90's (1890s). This is another head scratcher.

I hear comments on how to get the next gen involved yet some clubs will willingly exclude them if they happen to have a busy life that does not allow for them to physically participate but have the money to support the club. If you are funding, then you are a participant! To not have online payments, is cutting your own throat. It's the best way to insure they join before they change their mind. It's a fast paced world and you must grab the brass ring while you can and not wait for another go-around lest somebody else gets the ring before you do. It takes a minute or so online, but the process of hard copy and writing a check is more than enough for many to not bother. I have not written an actual check in a couple years, probably fewer than 10 checks in the last 10 years. In fact, I have no idea where my checkbook is! I seriously doubt I have a stamp in my house.

Frantz has illustrated clearly why many younger folks are not part of the process. The clubs must evolve past the years of their cars and venture into today's world if you want them to be involved. Taking into consideration that life is very busy for us and if you have a young family, both parents (if you are not a single parent) probably work. The funds can be elusive and time even more elusive. Taking any extra time for archaic practices will leave you behind, far behind until you are no longer.

• Like 2

John, I may not have explained this well enough to people who do not understand the process of the club registration.  We have 15 or so events a year and this is not as simplistic as you have put it...we know how to do online payments.  We do it as I said for the national club membership, judging and our store and as I said in the meet we run in Auburn., that is simple.  We have almost 60,000 members and 370 regions and some have their preferred ways of doing business.

I have to head out to our meet in NC now but I will also add that until you understand the complexities of a Hershey Region and a Hornet's Nest Region who put on massive events (hundreds of thousands of attendees) then it is impossible to understand the need for active members.  I am not stating the policies of these groups are right or wrong but I do understand the reasons why they have the policies.

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The lack of paying online is a feature that seemingly is easily correctable BUT it is mostly an issue of the local regions/chapters who sponsor our events want the money to go directly to them and that is where the rub is.  Then there is the issue of the cost of the credit card fees (in many states you cannot charge more for use of CC) as these meets run at close to a break even or loss in some cases.

Steve,

Our local chapter of the OCA (Capitol City Rockets) has accepted PayPal for membership and show registration for several years now.  It was trivially easy to set up and put a PayPal button on our club website.  I had zero prior experience doing it and got it to work the first time. (I'm both chapter president and webmaster).

We factor the PayPal fee into the on-line registration fee; the reality is that the extra $0.76 is essentially what you would pay for an envelope, stamp, and check anyway.  We were required to link the PayPal account to our club bank account.  This also has not been an issue and actually makes transfer of funds extremely easy.

• Like 1

I am very happy to see the points raised and answered, and not just ignored! Steve M. makes excellent comments as well and trys to explain (not give excuses for) why some regions/chapters do what they do. I don't belong to any local AACA regions, did 35 years ago, but have enough on my plate with a local single make club. You pick and choose what makes you feel comfortable. Frantz I am twice your age, like the pre war cars the most, and try to share the cars I own with younger people who are interested in older cars but perhaps can't afford one right now or are intimidated by "something that old".

I often ask people who seem to be sincerely are interested in my cars if they would like to sit in it, or even take them for a brief ride around the parking lot if we are at a cruise night. The best way to appreciate the cars are to experience them and answer questions. We all had to start someplace and asked questions of people who had been in the car collecting world for some time. I started when I was 13. AACA is a GREAT club, just drift to the section you are most comfortable with.

When I was a big part of the Amphicar club, we set up the PayPal account as well, 12 years ago or so. It was easy then as well, no problems. I do understand that the AACA is complex, and maybe I don't understand why. This is good info to put out there when you have time. It does appear to be overly complicated. When the RARE AACA event was anywhere near me, I was asked to not only join the AACA but the local chapters as well. Seemed redundant and a waste of time and money for very little if any benefit. Some uniformity should be implemented between the AACA and the 370 chapters. This will attract member instead of confusing and frustrating them. It's gotta be easier for all involved.

Once you are is a less busy time and can explain it, I am sure that you will have a large audience listening. I am also very happy that as not in my previous club, you will provide answers rather than either silence or pathetic excuses.

Go enjoy yourself! I may not be a member, but that does not mean I don't value your efforts, time and insight! (hats off to you all)

Mr. Frantz, you make some valid suggestions for improving procedures;

but clubs are about the CARS and the PEOPLE.

If you find a club that has both of those, and you like them,

don't sweat the small stuff.

There will always be excuses for all of us NOT to do something,

NOT to go out, NOT to participate.  But buck up, my friend,

and find a club that you like.  The more you participate, the more

people you'll meet locally and nationwide, and the more you will

learn about cars.  And you'll find yourself enjoying the hobby

a lot more than you thought you did before.

Life is an experience to be shared with others.

• Like 1

I'm as connected as I have time to be, I probably do more than I have time for at this point in life. I'm just pointing out why the local chapters don't have my money, and it's likely that there are thousands of memberships missed each year because of this. I don't think that's an exaggeration either. The one poster above is spot on with questioning if they even have stamps at home. I often don't either. I don't mail things. What's a small thing to you, is sorta a pain in the rear to someone who rarely makes such payments. I do 90% of my purchases online. Paypal really is too easy to set up for a club. Really, it's the clubs that need to buck it up and get with the times if they want new members, or more money. Heck you could even offer a "digital" membership that would cut down on your own mailing cost. I'd be happy with just receiving an emailed monthly letter rather than a printed one. I certainly wouldn't mind if they did a $5 higher dues to cover the "expense" of setting up online pay. Really, whats $5 a year? Call it a convenience fee for all online transactions and you're clear from most state laws if you really feel funding is an issue. Set bylaws to require involvement or other caveats for voting rights and I'll bet many of the other concerns go away. I get to go to all the events I have time for, I get to judge a few times a year, and I get access to the forums all just fine with my national AACA dues. I even have a snazzy AACA bath robe (which I certainly didn't write a check for). I'm willing to give local clubs my money, I just want an easy way that meshes with how everyone else gets my money. I mentally think of it as a donation more than a purchase.

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

Great opening post!

I was a member of National for 2 years before I joined my local chapter.  My original thought was, I'm in the AACA, I can go to any of the shows, I can help any chapter, I don't need to be committed to just one chapter. But in January, I joined a chapter and I have to say, I have had the best time!  I can still go to all of the shows, I can still help out at other Chapter meets, but I feel that I am more involved and making a bit more of a difference locally.  I am slightly older then you... ok, more then 10 years older then you, but still young enough to enjoy this hobby immensely!!!  And I feel that more people our age need to promote and enjoy our vehicles - whether they are stock or modified - and keep this hobby going strong into the next millennium!

As for having to write a check, I think I am of the last of those people who enjoy getting cards in the mail or anything else that has hand writing on it, so writing a check is no big deal.  And including a return envelope ensures I get mail that isn't a bill!!! :)

Like someone else says, there will be always be an excuse to do or not do something.  It just depends on what interests you enough to take the time to go for it and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Any local region interested in having someone set up a paypal just let me know! I live right in between Gettysburg, Hershey, and the little PA Dutch regions. A quick look at PayPal's site shows 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. For $35 in dues that would be $1.61 so you'll get $33.39 you didn't have before, at least from me! Of course you'll get stuck with me when you could spend less than 15 minutes to set it up yourself and hope I pick one of the other regions (-=

Frantz is 100% correct (or at LEAST 98%....... :P ).

I am obnoxiously close to turning 65 and even at my age pushing a button or two to spend money is my favorite way to spend.

I'm not an impulse spender but online bill paying is absolutely the way to go.

All paypal requires, above and beyond having an account, is an email address for the recipient.

Paypal is that simple.

I still dread writing checks after running my own business for 21-22 years when I was also the book keeper. I HATED writing checks then and always will.

I for one was a member for two years of my local chapter. Paying the dues online was not an issue, 1st year was complimentary and second I just handed them a check. I did not renew my membership after two years because I did not feel welcome there. Attended a number of meetings, not all, but a number and after the 2nd year the then President approached me one night at the meeting and asked if I was a new member. I'd been to a number of meetings and pot luck dinners so I have no reason to understand why he did not recognize me as a member.  I am not an introvert and usually have no problem conversing with anyone and the attendance at the meetings is not that large. The chapter had a number of members that had been together for probably over 25 years and just didn't seem open or that friendly to new blood. Seemed to have their cliques. Not sure what it was. Chemistry just wasn't there.  I'm not young and probably the age of a good number of members. So I remain a member of the National and some other clubs but not the local AACA Chapter. Although I've been a member of National for some time, and I'd like to serve the National in some way, I guess the lack of local Chapter membership and administrative service will preclude me from that.  Never had that feeling at a National meet and always had a positive experience with other members there as well as our National Officers who I meet. So maybe someday I'll give them a try again, but for now I belong to the clubs and organizations that make me feel at home. Just my two cents worth on why I don't belong to my local chapter.

16 hours ago, Frantz said:

.. I live right in between Gettysburg, Hershey, and the little PA Dutch regions. A quick look at PayPal's site shows 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. For $35 in dues that would be $1.61 so you'll get $33.39 you didn't have before, at least from me! ...

Regions' dues vary, but are almost always less

than the national dues.  They're more likely $15,

$20, or $25.  Active regions I know don't profit from

their dues--in fact, our regional newsletter strives for

excellence and it, alone, costs more than we get in dues.

Regions subsidize their modest dues with profits

from shows and flea markets.  Those profits all come
from hundreds of man-hours of enthusiastic volunteers.  

Whenever it's right for you, take your warm, winning 

enthusiasm to a near-by region, selflessly volunteer for some activities,

and make some friends.  Maybe that's five weeks from now;

maybe it's fifteen years from now.  But the region should be

happy to have you, and It will be a grand beginning,

• Like 2

I guess my old age is showing but I find it mindboggling that someone declines to participate in a club/activity simply because of the method used to pay dues or fees.. Not disparaging anyone but really this reasoning appears as being rather trivial. Obviously, regions vary a lot but you are very fortunate to live in an area that has many excellent ones - don't let the small stuff keep you from enjoying them.

I used to have a PayPal  account but closed it because of people fraudulently paying for items I was selling.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

I guess my old age is showing but I find it mindboggling that someone declines to participate in a club/activity simply because of the method used to pay dues or fees..

It's not old age;  it's your good nature and moderation!

Those are good qualities whether you're 9 or 109!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Regardless of any other points being made.... why would a club not want to do something really really easy in order to get more members? Take me out of it.... When someone is first exposed to a local regional AACA webpage, what's the reason to join? Often the overall website offers little in the form of giving value to paying money, and then asking them to print out a form and send a check gives a very archaic sense to the nature of the club. That should be reserved for our cars.... Do you really believe that making paying for membership online would not result in more people being involved? Even if the person never showed up to an event, it would help with added funds for greater awareness and better events! If I wanted to join today, I couldn't. I left my checkbook at home.

I've been an online member of forums for years, and have given far more than the dues owed to local regions in online donations. They make it easy for me to do so.

37 minutes ago, Frantz said:

why would a club not want to do something really really easy in order to get more members?

Probably because no one SO FAR has wanted it badly enough to volunteer to do it.  Many clubs are composed primarily of Late-If-at-All Adopters.  Your very generous offer to help set up e-payment would likely be well received if well-presented in person.

In the single-marque club in which I'm most active, we prefer Paypal rather than necessarily store members' credit card info.

Interestingly, we have a few members who are hard-over on insisting that we offer a Life Membership.  We do offer one, two, and three-year memberships.  Thus far, the Board has declined tto authorize a Life membership.

54 minutes ago, Frantz said:

what's the reason to join?

To associate with like minded folks. To get and give a sense of association, knowledge and values.

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

Do you really believe that making paying for membership online would not result in more people being involved?

I don't think it would matter one way or another. It's hard to imagine having to write and mail one check per year being a deal breaker. Then again I'm not of the instant gratification mind set..........Bob

• Like 4

One point that I think is missed in this discussion is the different focus between a local chapter or region and national AACA. Our local chapter is a local club that meets monthly, as well as conducts other local events. The group is in fairly constant contact through email notification of other local area hobby events. 

While people now often find us via our online presence, that is not how I originally joined. After I bought my first antique car, a friend told a local chapter member about me buying an old car and introduced me to that friend. That friend of a friend invited me to a meeting. At the meeting, we joined the Cape Fear Chapter, the NC Region, and AACA. For over a decade, I participated in local chapter AACA events and NC Region events, but never participated in any national event. AACA Membership was required to join the local "club". Beyond that national membership was basically a magazine subscription.  

The Chapter Treasurer routinely provides a prospective member a packet with information about the Chapter, Region, and National as well as the forms to join. The Chapter Treasurer collects one check for the total dues and the Chapter Treasurer then sends a Chapter Check for the Region dues to the Region Treasurer along with the Region form, and a Chapter check to National for the National dues along with the National form.  

After a decade of local participation, I then started participating in National AACA events. At least for us, The chapter membership is an active membership in a local "club". There is little incentive for online payment since it is an active local club with regular events. It is an in person experience, not an online activity. This is how it works for us in Southeastern NC. We are doing a better job of getting new members involved in National events. Today in New Bern (2 hours from my home), we had about 23 Chapter cars. We also had a few other Chapter members who showed up as spectators without their antique car. 

The Chapter membership is not about collecting dues. It is about people joining a local group and becoming friends and participating in local events as friends. For us, I guess it basically breaks down to writing a check for $60 once a year ($35 National, $15 NC Region, $10 Cape Fear Chapter) and enjoying a national magazine, a Region mailed Newsletter, A Chapter emailed newsletter, and participation in as many local, state, and national events as you want to attend. Some of my best friends are people that I met through AACA  membership. 

• Like 2

I belong to two local car clubs, neither of which have a website nor accept electronic payments.  They are "in person" experiences and are great1  If writing a check to a local club is a deal breaker, you just do not have the passion for this hobby ... or any other.

Just my opinion,

Grog

• Like 2

Many of you are taking my statements out of context and missing the point. It's not just about me. I'm not just complaining. I'm saying you ARE missing members because of the lack of online payments. Yes, it's a local club with in person connections, but you may never make those connections with many who don't join. I'm familiar with what one gets, I'm saying no one generally will know without joining. If someone checked out the web site, saw a good online presence, clicked "pay now" and started getting emails and said "hey, these folks are doing something local and I can be involved" that would be a good thing. That's what I was trying to say.

Suggesting I lack passion when I worked all day on Thursday, waiting for my wife to get home at 11:30 and hit the road from PA to New Bern NC at midnight so we could make it for judging school and not hit all the Washington and Richmond traffic is a bit silly. I have plenty of passion. But I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who would prefer online pay. As I mentioned, I didn't quite have time to meet a local regions attendance requirements last time I was in a region, so I personally am not missing out too much by not being in a club as I spent more time participating in North Carolina events than local ones. However, I would still be a paying member if it was easy.

Look at the guy the other day who posted about the I8 to V8 swap. I have no idea if he's a member or not. But it seemed to me like he just "found" the site and was looking for help. It's likley hes not currently plugged in with a car community or he wouldn't have been as likely to go looking for advise from strangers. Sure he got an old car without a motor, but he got the idea that putting in a V8 would be easier than finding a correct I8 from somewhere. If we made it easy for folks like him to join us "by accident", someone local might be able to make that connection and at least ask if he'd be interested and then help him find the right parts. Still his car at the end of the day, and even with a swap, he's still quite welcome. I'm sure many of us (myself included), started interest in old cars with more of a performance fascination. Maybe if they are a member and want a hot rod, they'll settle for a repopped body, or at least not cut up a good one and hot rod with a sense of future restoration (I'm planning that for my rolling body '65 Marlin). Maybe they'll realize they can have quite a bit of fun with putty put put rather than VROOOM, or maybe they'll take interest in a car than went VROOM pretty well from the factory. All sorts of preservation things will happen naturally just from exposure to the nature of the idea of preservation. IMO it's our duty to expose as many folks as possible. Sure, I may well just go home and sign up for a local region, and yes, I'll volunteer to take on the addition to the web page, That's just one chapter, and I'm just one member. I'm more than able to suck it up, but don't we also want members who don't know it's worth while?

• Like 1

Our own region in Pennsylvania has no requirements

for attendance or participation;  but clubs are comprised

of volunteers who put on all the activities.  Volunteerism

and participation are what regions are all about.

I think electronic payments are a good idea.  But clubs

are democratic--the foundation of our entire country--

and sometimes my seemingly best ideas get no traction.

In that case, I humbly move on with the group to the next topic.

Sometimes good ideas come up later and bear fruit.

But if I didn't want to take 5 inconvenient minutes to write a check,

how would I feel when asked to volunteer 3 hours at a 

car show?  Would I spend 40 hours to produce an issue of the 

club newsletter?  It' been a fulfilling experience in which I've gotten to

know many fellow car fans locally and around the country and

greatly increase my automotive knowledge.  It beats watching TV.

I have found that what one gets out of a club is proportional to what he puts in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

It's not just about me.

And yet your every argument is based on your opinion. Do you have some empirical data to back your claims.

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

I would still be a paying member if it was easy.

I think you will eventually find that "easy" is not  always "best". ..............Bob

I am not in any clubs for two reasons, first I own so many different car I would have to join 10 clubs.

Second, I was in an association that had many members, but few workers and many hypocrites!

Now I go to cruse in's, no rules, no problems, good food and friendly participants.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

And yet your every argument is based on your opinion. Do you have some empirical data to back your claims.

Every response here on both sides of the issue is based on that author's personal opinions.  One person can't understand why it is so difficult to write a check if you intend to spend hours volunteering.  In MY personal opinion, I hate writing checks and mailing letters.  I pay all my bills and memberships online for convenience. Despite that, I spent ten hours yesterday in 100 degree heat volunteering at a club car show.  I also took over webmaster duties for the club, resurrected the stale website, and added the electronic payment features.  We now get about 10% of our members (and show attendees) who pay on-line. The on-line presence is also a better way to connect with younger potential members.  Welcome to the 21st century.

Empirical evidence? Sure... currently there are 0 members joining the three closest regions to myself via online pay and at least one who didn't join yet because of it being lacking. One of them would be getting 1 the day I found out. I'm just passionate enough to share what I find to be a outdated system. Don't worry though. I'm back home, printed out a form, and will be sending it in this afternoon since I had my checkbook in the office. Will let you know how it all works out!

I accept and understand that certain clubs' policies will be disqualifying to certain people--recall Groucho Marx saying that he would reject any club which would accept him as a member.  To me, the disqualifying aspect of the region/chapter Mr. Frantz first described is an attendance requirement.  I belong to an AACA region 80 miles from me because I like the people and their activities, but can only participate once or twice per year.  Similarly, I belong to a national veterans' organization in which I do not participate--I retain the membership because I want to support their activities with my dues if not my time.

As I mentioned earlier, the club in which I'm most active have some members who have actually quit (more who have threatened to do so) because the club didn't offer a life membership.  Although I do many payments electronically, I wouldn't mind showing up at a regional activity and paying the treasurer in green dollars.

We make many tradeoffs in life, and I think it comes down to the personal assessment of whether the positives of any organizational membership outweigh the negatives--to me.  It's just me, but if I derive perceived benefit from an organization, the lack of an electronic payment option is not a show-stopper--but a requirement to attend 10 out of 12 monthly meetings per year would be.

• Like 2