E041 continued problems

Steve2150

It all started when I went to pass a car, floored the gas, trans did not kick down and it moved forward sluggish like it flooded. The service engine light came on and started smelling unburned fuel. Went to my mechanic he tried scanning it and found half of the ecm not working so would not scan. He replaced the  ecm using my original proms, also the water pump was leaking and he replaced that. He scanned after the repairs and still got E041, it showed cam sensor, crank sensor, both oxygen sensors, scanned again still showing E041, car runs a-okay. Lately first start of day requires numerous cranks, only started after 8th crank with finally putting my foot on accellerator like when carbeurated car flooded.

Sounds like more than a code 41 problem. Will usually run fine like that. They did away with the cam sensor a few years later.

I'd check the fuel rail pressure, may have a bad regulator.

What do you mean "both oxygen sensors" ? Reattas only have one.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Pretty certain the TV cable controls the downshift and the vacuum modulator controls line pressure and shift firmness. I agree that fuel pressure and regulator should be checked as well as vacuum leaks. The little brother to the 3800, the 3300 used in the early 90's, did not have a cam sensor and used a batch fire injector system. They ran fine as well as returned good mileage.

Something is amiss if there are indeed two O2 sensors? Maybe a second used to plug a hole in an aftermarket cat? Shouldn't be there, at least operationally.

Was not a 2nd oxygen sensor I mistook him it was a part that works with the sensor under the car. With the new cam sensor, crank sensor, oxygen sensor car runs more smoothly but drinks more gas then before, E041 still there, he is gonna do the electric testing this week.

Do you know how to use the built in diagnostics? You could perhaps find a clue in the readings from the various sensors while running. Do you actually have a before and after mileage readings to determine the fuel usage? Do you know where the fuel pressure regulator is? If so, check the vacuum line to see if the diaphragm is ruptured and it is pulling fuel through the vacuum port.