1925 Studebaker ER (Standard), Starting Engine Problems

Hello Forum,

I can't get my engine started on my 1925 Studebaker Standard ER.  I followed the wiring diagram and it still will not start.  I did something wrong when I wired it from the instrument panel.  Can someone walk me through where each wire goes from the ignition switch to the distributer?  I have installed all new-old stock parts and have checked absolutely everything.  If anyone has a picture of the under dash to the firewall and to the connections, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

I assume you used the wiring diagram below.  First, you need to determine if this is a spark issue or fuel, so pull a plug and lay it on the head.  Check for spark while cranking (it isn't very bright so look closely).  Assuming you've done this and you don't have spark, there are a number of reasons besides wiring.  Verify you have voltage on the positive side of the coil when the ignition switch is turned on.  If not, then it's the switch or wiring.  If so, then it is the points, condenser, coil or distributor.  So let's assume you have checked voltage at the coil and there is none.  Next is to check voltage at the input and output terminals of the ignition switch.  Keep working your way back until you find where the issue is. Don't install a NOS condenser, they are often shorted.  Buy a new one and modify to fit inside your distributor.  If I look around I could probably find the NAPA part number I used.

Scott

SCN_0001.jpg

• Like 1