1981 Cadillac Fleetwood DFI location of oxygen sensor

ThomasBorchers

Hello again,

well, in the meantime I am a bit more familiar with the DFI system.

As Larry told me, I have checked the TPS adjustment. The voltage was too high for the idle speed. To adjust, I had to remove the TBI body, drill out this small welding spots which block the “adjustment” screws of the TPS. There I found out, that the cam of the throttle cam has a bit too much clearance in the TBI body. But I have replaced the TBI housing as it was.

Then I tried to adjust the engine at 400rpm but this was not possible. The lowest speed I can set is 600rpm. Under this, the engine shuts off. Perhaps this is the result of the throttle cam play, don’t know.

So I set the voltage of the TPS at 600rpm at 0,6 volts which should not be too much. So actually from this view, the mixture should not be too rich.

I tried to do the adjustment as described in the shop manual with ISC and TPS. But the ISC is not moving. Since I know, that the motor can work, if it has voltage, I think the actuation from the ECM is not working as it should. Probably…

I removed then the plug of the ISC, set the plunger to an idle speed around 800rpm. The idling was ok now, the exhaust was perhaps a bit black but not that much as before. Then I accelerated the engine and the was a “hole” in the acceleration, was not really possible to speed it up. When I went slowly back to idle, it run again rough and with more black smoke as before.

At this point I decided to order a new MAP sensor since this part is also responsible for the mixture.

Today a have installed the new MAP. Well, actually it is like before but I mean, that it now accelerates better as before. But going slowly back to idle, I have than again a too rich mixture and the engine shuts off. When I then shut of the ignition, wait some seconds, start again, the engine runs again better with good idling and just a little bit black smoke or perhaps it is just blue from oil.

At the moment I come to the result, that the ECM could have a malfunction and need to be replaced. ( again… ). What do you think? It shows no codes, the ISC is not working and then the rich idling…

I am sorry for my English but it is hard to say all this in a foreign language.

Kind regards

Thomas

• 6 years later...

Hi,

well, I changed the MAP but made no difference. The solution was a broken ECM. Then it was ok but after a short while I had no ignition spark. A nightmare...  Finally I bought a new distributor. But I have still to adjust it, seems that the ignition is now too late.

The car is running but the display shows again nothing and when I switch the ignition on, the blower is on the highest level. Seems that there is again a problem with the ECM or wiring or so...

Kind regards

Thomas