Recommendations for First Pre-1940 Vehicle

Guest benjaminh

Guest benjaminh

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my first pre-1940 car, and am looking for recommendations as to manufacturer and model.

These are my requirements:

It really has to have the classic 1920's look: spoked wheels, long front end, semi-square body; I'm looking for something more like the Model A Ford, not anything in the "wind stream" look.

It needs to be driveable: it needs to be able to keep up with today's traffic, including highway traffic.

It needs to be RELATIVELY fuel efficient: I realize your not going to get the efficency of some of today's vehicles, but I want something that, for it's era, is pretty good on fuel.

I'm leaning towards the Model A Ford, as it meets these requirements pretty well, and is a pretty common car. What cars do you guys know of that meet at least some of these requirements?

Benjamin

You're not going to get 1920s/early 30s and "keep up with today's highway traffic" in one car. Late '30s, yes, early '30s, your cruising speed will be 45-50 at best. Beyond that, you have a wealth of choices and I might recommend an entry-level Buick or Chrysler, which have good power, big six-cylinder engines (or a straight-8 if the Buick is 1931 or newer), and decent road manners, plus the look you're going for. Still not 60 MPH cars, but big, affordable, and very road-worthy.

You're going to get a lot of suggestions here. Maybe go to some shows and look around and see what you like then narrow down the search a bit. There's a HUGE difference between a 1930 Ford and a 1930 Buick, but the prices aren't all that different.

Have fun in the search!

• Like 1

Guest benjaminh

Thanks for the reply Matt; I guess I hadn't mentioned the possibility of adding overdrive; apparently the model A can handle 60+ MPH with a transmission conversion...

Well, yes and no. I have an overdrive in my 1929 Cadillac and while it's technically capable of going faster, it's still happiest at 50-55. It's still ancient, the brakes are still ancient, the tires are still skinny, the suspension is still based on a conestoga wagon's, and, well, more speed isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm a big proponent of overdrives, but they aren't a cure-all and aren't just for making more speed. I wanted to simply cut down on the wear and tear on the engine as those big rods flail around in there, not necessarily go faster. With the overdrive, my Cadillac probably has the horsepower to go 80 or 85 MPH, but there's no way I'm trying it. Even 60 MPH is harrowing. Plenty of guys running around at 65 MPH in their Model As, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

It's not that easy. Wish it were, but it's not. The cars simply weren't designed to run in today's traffic, so you have to take that into consideration. It's more than just pushing the box through the air, it's keeping it safe and getting it stopped that are the real issues.

When I want to go fast in an old car, I take one of my '41s. They're fast. When I want to drive an old car that feels old, I take the Cadillac. It's slow. I like the looks of both, but the '29 will never be able to keep up with the '41s, overdrive or no overdrive. Sorry.

• Like 1

Hi Benjamin,

I certainly agree with Matt, your big hurdle will be keeping up with highway traffic and stopping, slowing down safely or taking evasive action at 70 miles an hour in an 80 year old car designed to top out at 50 and slow down over a long distance.

My 1931 Buick tops out at 70 without overdrive according to period literature but I worry going 55. It is much happier at 45-50, and then I am constantly on the lookout for someone stopping suddenly or cutting in front of me. Your awareness level needs to be like a motorcycle rider since most of the general public has no idea of your limitations.

I like having something different versus the Model A crowd so there again Matt is right on since my 90 series Buick coupe wasn't much more than a Model A but the parts availability for the other brands is nowhere near the great support the Fords have. It took a two year search to find an exhaust manifold for my car and the other bits I found were much more expensive than they would have been for a model A. 

So if you don't mind a more common car the A will differently be easier to keep on the road.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Chuck

I hate to say it, but what you want is a hot rodded 20's, early 30's car.

I did about 70kph (45mph) in my 28 Chrysler once and it wasn't the best feeling but it has tired engine. I am happy to putt around at 30 -35mph on city streets.

Guest benjaminh

Thanks guys for the reminder that these are, no matter what upgrades you give, still old cars. That definetely poses safety concerns about highway driving. Thanks for popping me back into reality.

Chuck: you have a good point about the parts availability; that's something that's a definete benefit about the Fords.

1937-38 Buicks are one of the nicest driving cars of the times, good power, easy steering and shifting, wonderful cars.

Earlier cars have good handling abilities IF they are either excellent original mechanically, or if they've REALLY been restored correctly.  Worn out or poor restoration cars will have bad brakes, stiff steering, and so forth.  If you drive a properly set up earlier car, you'll usually find they're very nice to drive.

If you want freeways speeds, you're pretty much locked in to the late 1930's.  Some of the big Classics with correct rear end gears or overdrive will go freeway speeds, but as Matt says, it's really not what they were made for.  My '31 Pierce has an overdrive, and it's set up with excellent (original) brakes (about 16 feet of 2 inch lining and tool steel drums), and I can drive it 70 or 75 without any real issue with overdrive engaged,  but it's much saner to stay around 55....

• Like 1

Maybe you should look for a Shay Model A Ford roadster. That will look a LOT like a 1929 Ford roadster and will do freeway speeds. They have Pinto or Mustang II engines and are modern underneath. There are a few on Ebay and here is one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A-standard-/182219537465?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a6d217c39:g:-yYAAOSwARZXllj~&item=182219537465

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, benjaminh said:

How are the Buicks and Chryslers in terms of general handling abilities?

I have two 1931 Dodges and they are comfortable (legroom wise), well driving and great running cars. You would still have the same problems such as poor handling at higher speeds. Of course, braking hard will not stop you. It may lock up the brakes as they are hydraulic on the Chrysler products, but the skinny tires will allow skidding. 

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I currently have a 38 Studebaker Stste Commander. It's big heavy handles well, has decent brakes and doesn't get pushed around by the big trucks on the highway. I took it up to the  Indy track for the Haggerty show and we were able to drive the track. It ran at 70 for 4 or 5 laps just fine.  I didn't have to worry about someone cutting in front of me or any panic stops. The drive back home was on the interstate at 55 - 60 lots of cars and trucks passed me and I don't think I passed anyone but it was a comfortable drive. Lots of people gave me the thumbs up or waved with big smiles on their faces. 

I had a 49 Ford F3 pickup with a 5.0 fuel  injected 5 speed with 4 wheel disk brakes and modern wide radial tires ( I know it was a hot rod) and it could do 80-85 or more with no problem but that doesn't mean I would do it. It was still not as steady on the road as a modern car/truck or the 38. It had a Jaguare rack & pinion front end but was still a little unstable at 70 or above. A model A would just be crazy to try to do highway speeds and be safe for you, your family and others on the road. 

Go to some cars and coffee meets in your area and talk to owners maybe even get a ride or two.  Check to see if a local chapter of the AACA is having a meet and talk to owners I would bet you could get rides to see how a variety of cars drive. 

Speed is great but every time I have a fast trip to make it always takes longer than expected just because of people asking questions about the car. So speed can be very elusive thing.  Have fun 

I'd add this: the older vehicles were not designed to consider the impact to the occupants in the event of an accident.  Motor Vehicle Collison ( including rear-ending, debris, road departure) in those old vehicles was usually a bad outcome.  I recall reading somewhere that injuries and fatalities increased 2X for every 10mph increase.  One should consider overdrives, increase engine output and increased speed in light of the braking system - increased speed can result in one getting 'way ahead' of the braking capability.  Anti-locks, dual hydraulic cylinders were things of the future.  Collison design is WAY into the future - seat belts, padded dashes, designed steering wheels, air bags.....

Does that mean those cars are not thoroughly enjoyable to drive? Not at all.  They really, really are.  I LOVE my Chrysler - three years older than my Chevrolet - and I love THAT car but they are astoundingly different cars - ride, braking, driving experience.  So you might want two. or three or more.

I've never driven a 29-30 Cadillac but I hear they are awesome. Have driven 41 Cadillacs and they are just so nice.   Chryslers are awesome - and have bigger engines and 'wet' brakes. The 31 Dodge would be very nice ride, the As are plain fun - and parts everywhere. Chevys aren't common but great cars. Some of the big Buicks are just so elegant.  Packards will really go.  Shays are nice - not my cup of tea but nice.  And they are antiques and originals.

MOST cars didn't have synchronized transmissions until 31-32. And remember, those designs didn't really consider what was happening behind you - some models had surprising amount of blind spots.  Mirrors are not the best.

But for feeling 'good', creating good will and good feelings in others, being looked at - and envied - at 30-40mph - you can LOOK around ( somewhat - remember safety) - you might not go fast - but you GO. And your best girl riding with you, wind and coolness of the open windows - cannot be described.

My cars are happy - and I am happy - 45ish max. 

Welcome - hope to see you on a tour.

• Like 2

While your first post would sound like you want 20s styling rather than 30s styling. I will have to add to what Trimacar already said. If I was looking for a pre-war car, I would look for a 1937 or so Buick Century. The first car listed on the 36-38 Buick Club website appears to be a really good deal. If I did not already have a 1937 Buick Century, I would be seriously interested in that one... Here is the link: http://www.3638buickclub.org/advertisements.html

Really you have 2 choices. Buy a nice car that has the looks you want and don't take it on the Interstates and don't go over 50MPH except for short periods.

Or buy a hot rod or replicar with modern underpinnings that can handle 70 - 80 MPH for long periods.

There are quite a few hot rodded cars of the type you mention and some of them are well done.

Buying a car from the early 30s and expecting it to handle modern highways unmodified just isn't realistic unless you get something like a Duesenberg.

There are quite a few postwar cars that will do what you are asking especially the more expensive models. From 1957 up pretty much any car  except for the very cheapest.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Consider a 1934 - 1936 six cylinder Auburn.  Being a six cylinder, it is not a CCCA classic, meaning it does not command the higher price of the eights.  They came from the factory with a fully counterbalanced crankshaft, a synchronized three speed transmission, four  wheel hydraulic Bendix brakes which will lock the wheels up if needed.  And best of all a two speed Dual-Ratio rear differential which allows you to drive at freeway speeds all day long. They look like my avatar, but the hood is two inches shorter.  Parts are available.

Guest benjaminh
21 minutes ago, Curti said:

Consider a 1934 - 1936 six cylinder Auburn.  Being a six cylinder, it is not a CCCA classic, meaning it does not command the higher price of the eights.  They came from the factory with a fully counterbalanced crankshaft, a synchronized three speed transmission, four  wheel hydraulic Bendix brakes which will lock the wheels up if needed.  And best of all a two speed Dual-Ratio rear differential which allows you to drive at freeway speeds all day long. They look like my avatar, but the hood is two inches shorter.  Parts are available.

That's a pretty nice car; the 1934 models are close the the stylings that I'm looking for, too. They don't seem to be that "available" though, at least not at a reasonable price...

A 1928 newspaper clipping I came across

gives a picture of speed at that time.  The Jordan

car company did a study of people's desire for

speed.  Of those surveyed, 90% never traveled

more than 45 m.p.h.  They liked their cars to have

some reserve capacity, however, for passing, for

quick acceleration, and for ample power on hills.

Do you live in an area where there are plenty of

small, sparsely used country roads?  Pennsylvania

is great for that;  people who live near big cities

have a harder time.  If you really want a late 1920's car,

consider driving it the way it originally was, enjoying

the trip and the scenery.

Let's come at this from another angle. Suppose the OP is willing to accept that an 80 year old car is not going to perform to modern speeds and is willing to accept its limitations. Now what would be the most practical choice from the standpoint of  service, availability of parts and  ease of repairs?

Ford I think would come first. Packard should be in there. I am thinking of the 110 and 120 line starting in 1936 which is a little newer than he wants, the earlier ones being rather expensive.

What would you suggest for a beginner not to get in over his head?

Guest benjaminh

Thanks all of you, and thanks Rusty for your points. What are your suggestions for a pretty cheap beginners car, with the 1920/early 30's look?

Benjamin

Best choice Ford Model A for a beginner. Or a V8 Ford, slightly newer, more money but faster. There are some good buys in independents but then you get into the problem of parts and repairs. Some are well supported by owners clubs others aren't.

Chevrolet was most popular back then but not as durable.

Chrysler products (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler) are well made and durable but not supported by the reproduction parts industry as well as Ford.

The independents made some good cars that now sell at a discount to better known makes. Parts supplies not as bad as some people think because they used standard units like Continental engines, Lockheed brakes, Timken axles Warner transmission etc which are supported by parts suppliers or interchange with other cars. However this is getting into deep thickets for a beginner.

Where are you located Benjamin?  I am aware of a very nice Marquette two door sedan that I believe is still available, an older but thorough restoration that needs to be woken up.  $12K range, I think, maybe a bit less.  that is the one year only (I think or year and a half production) "baby Buick" - engine is a close relative to the Olds flat 6 of the time.  Assume a little more power than an A but not a highway car either.  I will tell you from experience much over 50 MPH in a model A and concerns about handling, wind pushing the car around, etc. on a fairly empty road take attention.  Not the right cars for the highway and I think the same goes for other models of the earlier part of the decade.

That said, I think the look is spot on, and a great car (quicker to sell, then say the Marquette due to a fairly ready market as long as price is realistic) to determine if you have a deeper interest in the hobby.  I also think the A is less body style centric - that is to say, open/coupes are likely a little quicker to sell, but the sedans move as well, people like the look, ride and ability to tour until late in the season in the bigger closed cars.

But if you want to do some occasional highways I would go a little later, really like the suggestions above, and having had one, am a little biased towards a Jr. Packard.  Ours was fine at 65, no OD but did have a high speed ratio in the rear.  That was an 8, but I understand the 6 is a stout engine as well, with just a few less HP and a lot less overall weight as the car is a bit smaller.  I am keen on the 8 cylinder Buicks of the era as well, a car I would consider myself for that kind of use.  I think the parts and support situation for them is pretty good, at least from what I have heard.  Once you get into the mid to late 30s road ability does improve quite a bit.

Good luck and glad to see some new prewar interest!  :-)

Good suggestion from Rusty, if you are on a budget and looking for a Ford V-8, a '35 - '38 model might be a good choice.  '32 - '34 is a big step up price wise, generally speaking and again with '39 - 40, old favorites of both hot rod and restorer types...

I grew up touring with my parents in the 1970's with Ohio Region AACA members driving mostly 20's and 30's cars. One friend had a 29 Packard along with a 29 Model A Ford and an other still has a 28 Buick. All had overdrives and ran about 60 MPH on the interstate which had 70 MPH limits at the time before Jimmy Carter's 55 Speed limit in 1976 ish was mandated but the roads then had less traffic. My Dad had and now I have a 36 Ford with a 4:11 gears that keeps it about 50. With 3:78 gears they will cruise nice at 55 and with a Columbia at 60-65. My suggestion is an Model A or Early V8 that has great club support and stick to secondary roads( A's are little simpler with gravity Gas tanks and less electrical issues than the Early v8's as mine still has unsolved issues after all these years). We had a local club member who just a few years ago drove his non-overdrive Model A from KY to California and back following up later with teardrop trailer to Alaska running mostly secondary roads but sometimes interstates at 45MPH.An overdrive in an A could increase that speed to 55-60.  AACA members Joe and Betty Swann did 10000 plus miles last year at 35MPH in 1912 EMF.  Secondary roads can be more fun if you have the time. Short runs on the interstate in an A at 45 can be less stressful in off hours. In my brass cars which I drive 30-40MPH only on secondary roads, I run with a bicycle flasher as my biggest concern is distracted drivers from behind. Let us know where you live as folks could comment on secondary road use options. Where I live in Ohio, their are good options to stay off the interstate weather it is Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati. More densely populated areas like Chicago, LA, New York may not be as easy.

Tom Muth

What do you have experience with?

It was only about 20 years ago that I first drove a Model T Ford after knowing about them for the previous 30 years. It's a lot different getting behind the wheel. I can still remember the deep empathy I felt for those old timers who dragged one out of a hedgerow and spent ten years restoring it. After I learned to drive it I had to teach the owner, a new purchaser. I think he sold it a week later.

If you are new to old cars keep an eye out for the advertisements on TV where the people made online hotel reservations. It can be a lot like that.

Bernie

Hi Benjamin, lots of excellent advice from experienced guys here.  I think a Model A would be the ideal first choice due to easy parts and service availability and they are just a great car, but stick to the two lanes under 50mph.  I would add that if you are considering a coupe or roadster make sure you can comfortably get in and out, they are tighter than we sometimes think.  A sedan should be less of a problem there.  A 1932-34 would be great but they are big $$$ compared to the humble Model A, enjoy the hunt, Todd C

Getting a copilot slot in a Model A to get the feel of the car should be as easy as a couple car show conversations or googling the local MARC or MAFCA region. IF you are in CT PM me; or post your interest and location on Fordbarn,  AACA and Fordbarn will be two of your best resources.