Das Awkscht Fescht

Dave Mellor NJ

This is the weekend of Das Awkscht Fescht in Macungie Pa. It is one of the last places outside of Hershey where you can still find some old car parts. There are family activities all weekend plus one of the best "original" car shows on Saturday and sunday. Stop by space  L-234 and say hello

Anyone who hasn't been to this show should go to see for himself:

1100 antique cars Saturday;

1100 antique cars Sunday;

Diverse cars, even a few brass vehicles;

No modified or hot-rod vehicles;

Attractive park with large shade trees;

Large craft show;

A medium-sized automotive swap meet for 3 days;

Entertaining music in the band shell;

Swimming pool in the park.

It's worth a trip, even if you live a couple of states away.

I don't know of a better local car show than Macungie!

When we lived closer this was always one of our favorite events.  last time I was able to get there was a few years ago and it was still a great treasure hunt in the swap meet.  Bought a neat early motoring print, some superb early spark plugs and a few really nice pieces of early automobilia.  It's located very near the center of the antiques world there in PA where there are a lot of great general antique markets, shops, malls, etc.   This event is well worth going to, and you should include enough time to shop the markets including Renningers.  I always find great stuff there and in the past have seen everything from early motorcycle stuff to brass lights, etc. 

Terry

Just got back from there . It is a great day, there was very light 10 second drizzle this morning cleared to hot sun . left about 1;30pm and 88* F , firework are on for tonight . Also met Dave in swap area , was a pleasure .

Tom

Was turnout good earlier today?  I headed out and a little bit of drizzle, decided not to go, was afraid of getting caught in a downpour that never materialized.  I have a Maxwell I drive with the top down because I cannot fit it in the garage otherwise.  I will likely go tomorrow and walk around some.

Saturday was a nice day. Overcast and light sprinkles in the morning kept the temperatures down. Great display of cars including some rare and unusual models. A 1960 Edsel in its original condition was a highlight. Nice to see the collection of Oakland's as the featured marque. Sadly, the swap meet continues to shrink; and many of the vendors complained that this would be their last year. A large section of the swap field was given over to a strange BBQ contest- one without any tasting by the audience. I guess we were supposed to take the judges word on it.

Oh my, how the face of the Fescht has changed.  I've attended sporadically beginning with the first one in 1963, and haven't missed since 1978.  I'd say the Fescht reached it's heyday in the mid '80's to late '90's.  You could always count on the field full of very early cars seen every year.  Then, row upon row of Model A's and a variety of makes from the thirties through early fifties.  Nice ones too!  Except for an excellent turnout of Model A's this year, those thirties-early fifties cars have become rare.  Replaced by late sixties through eighties vehicles, most likely air conditioned.  Many of driver-quality.  Also, a lot of "personalized" cars, because the Fescht committee frowns upon modifieds. The flea market, yeah it's gotten smaller each year.

Maybe it's the direction of the hobby, but as I walked around this past weekend remembering days gone by, I thought "how depressing".