75RivGS

Road trip 2016; '72 Electra Limited

To keep it Buick related a couple of photos incl the '72 Electra Limited. This year's trip put less miles on the odometer than 2015: 5,300mls. The only thing the Buick required was re-adjusting the dwell now and then and less than a quart engine oil. The Electra did it's job flawlessly.

This year's trip went through CA/NV/UT/WY/ID/WA/OR.

trip%202016%20pt%201.jpgtrip%202016%20pt%202.jpg

One time the in Oregon (where you can't pump gas yourself) the tank was filled up with diesel. 

Tried to avoid Interstates as much as possible.

Highlights: Zion N.P. / Bryce Canyon N.P. / Cathedral Valley / Capitol Reef / Logan Canyon scenic byway / Craters of the Moon / Perine bridge / Niagara Springs Scenic byway / Sawtooth scenic byway / John Day scenic byway / Painted Hills / Hell's Canyon (beautiful!!!) / Olympic N.P. / Umpqua river scenic byway / Lassen Vulcanic N.P. / Yosemite N.P. / King's Canyon / Seqouia N.P. 

DSCN8562.jpgDSCN8629.jpgDSCN9133.jpgDSCN9135.jpgDSCN9820.jpgDSCN9918.jpgDSCN0685.jpg

More:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/75RivGS/library/2016 Electra road trip?sort=2&page=1

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Looks like a hot trip and the Electra took a bullet in the headlight at least once.  But I love this picture!

photo DSCN0613.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome trip route Rob. Thanks for pics. You live the American dream. Beautiful and diverse country.

So was the Road Island Diner any good? Where was it?

Road trips are awesome!  Once you have done one it is easy to understand the allure of Route 66!   

I LOVE road trips ... & sure miss being "on the road".  Looks like you had a wonderful time ... certainly have a bunch of awesome pics.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"This is not where you belong" __ Restless Heart __ 'Why Does It Have To Be (Wrong or Right)?'

@John (JohnD1956): sharp eye; yes earlier that day, while driving, we heard the sound of breaking glass (thought from the trunk area), pulled over and it took quite some time before we discovered it was a sealed beam. Never experienced a breaking head light before.

@ Jason (JZRIV): Road Island Diner was is Oakley, UT. The (several... we were thirsty) milkshakes and malts were outstanding there :) 

The Electra now get its deserved rest in CA till mid next year. Plans for another road trip are being prepared already.

• Like 3

re: the broken headlight. I noticed it because when Ed and I were on our way home from Portland in 2014, he had the same thing happen.  I don't know if my car threw the rock up or when exactly it did occur, but it was troublesome cause Ed had bought a new set of the T3 repops specifically for the Portland Meet. Those things are way expensive considering what a regular halogen light bulb goes for.  He was a bit disturbed that one took a rock.  Even though it was broken, it continued to work for a day or so.  But that was little comfort.

Again loved hearing about your US travels. For even better appreciation from folks here of your travels,  you may want to mention where you live.

and like leon bee. I'd like to hear more about the diesel in the gas tank fiasco. I mean I guess most yachts run on diesel but not land yachts... :-) 

Thanks so much for sharing the story and wonderful pictures.

Always love these old family owned motels

DSC01588.jpg

• Like 2

We are gonna have to email this guy to ask him how he got the diesel out. And who did it?

Sorry for not replying here earlier. Somehow I don't get a message when there's a reply here. (will look into my profile hereafter)

Luckily the employer, who filled the tank, found out his mistake before I started the engine. It was all siphoned out (took quite some time) and I got a full tank of premium for free. Only a little smoke after starting.

I'm from The Netherlands and this was my 7th US road trip in a Buick since 2008. (66 Riviera GS, 71 Electra 2dr, 68 Wildcat 2dr, 2x 69 Electra 4dr and 2x 72 Electra). Can't think of a better way to spent my holidays (luckily my wife agrees fully). 

• Like 1

I drove my newly acquired '65 GP lo miles survivor 12k miles last summer, starting immediately after I bot it in July, and we just came back from 1000 mile (each way) trip to Chicago, and turned around the next day and drove my also recently acquired '65 Electra to Mid-Ohio, 800 miles each way! 

0722161916a.jpg

Edited by CORVAIRWILD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Corvairwild, I'm sure you have some great pictures and stories to tell about your 65 Electra trip. Could you please start a thread of your own and show and tell them. We try not to go off subject of individuals posts. Thanks

I will soon. I tryed to attach many pix of the 225, but only the GP posted. I will dictate using talk to text, but much error correcting is required, simpler, but still a job

PhotoPictureResizer_160812_140356319-1280x720.jpg

0630161751.jpg

0812161538a.jpg

0814161358b_HDR.jpg

0814161114.jpg