1929 Chrysler 75 Steering Wheel failure

Greetings One and All,

I recently acquired a 1929 Chrysler 75 after initially being beaten to it. Anyway my daughter and I took it for it's second run in my hands last Tuesday afternoon. It was a spirited run through the streets around Sydney harbour on a near perfect winters day. Needless to say it was very enjoyable and probably encouraged me to press on a bit. Before we headed for home we decided to stop for coffee. As we slowly pulled gently to the kerb outside the cafe the steering wheel hub broke. I think the car was looking out for us because I'd certainly been loading the steering up in the preceding drive. The failure occurred in fine cracking in the hub boss, I only had light pressure on it at the time and didn't run up the gutter (or anyone else) so no shock load. The wheel had looked OK if a little shabby and gave no indication prior to it breaking with a cracking noise. I noticed the image in the 1930 Chrysler V70 Parts Catologue that the 1930 V70 wheel appears to have a steel? Reinforcing ring.  Is this the case? See the photo of the broken wheel and the very elegant temporary repair.

So a question for the Aussies - does anyone have a steering wheel they'd be prepared to sell.

Regards,

Graeme

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Spinney,

I have no idea whether the wheel is original or not or what an original should be made of. This one is definitely cast alloy / muck metal of some sort with cast in undercuts and casting part lines. It doesn't appear to have any bog / filler in it. I'll take some photos that show detail when I get a wheel to replace the broken one with.

The jury rig raised a few eyebrows as we were outside the cafes in Kirribilli and amused the evening passers by.  The blade is jammed into the woodruff key hole but worst part of it was the screwdriver handle caught on my legs whilst turning. 

I think 72's, 75's and 77's had a four spoke wheel and the lighter cars three spokes - but I really can't say for sure. 

Regards,

Graeme

WOW!  I'm going to be more gentle with my wheel now. 

I'm not sure that would be repairable. Even if you invested the time and money, you will not feel confident that it won't  fail again.

There is a bloke in Sydney who has a huge range of early Dodge parts, he may have a steering wheel that might be compatible,  but others can confirm. You can find him on gumtree.com.au, search for chrysler parts.

Hey Spinney,

Unfortunately I don't. I don't have a parts manual for the 1929 series 75. I would like one so will keep a look out. I do have a parts manual for a 1930 series V70 but that doesn't help. It does have some good assembly drawings in it. 

I may post a wanted to buy and see how I go. 

17 minutes ago, Graeme1938 said:

Hey Mo,

All of the Chrysler parts have been sold. He doesn't want to sell parts just as job lots. I can understand his point. 

Cheers

So it's going to cost you $985,000 to buy a dodge steering wheel from him that  may or may not be compatible...lol

I will keep an eye out for a steering wheel for you.

Hi Chris,

I'm not really connected in the vintage Chrysler world but they are an accepting group. 

I have made a friend in the Blue Mountains who is having a look for me. If he doesn't have a useable steering wheel I'll do the ring around. It's been a busy week so haven't been able to devote time to the pursuit.  I've been trying to get fuel and carburetor issues sorted out as well.  It had some pretty major oil leaks too but I think I've got them beaten. Next thing is braking.