Fuel line routing on an A/C 64 Riviera

Guest Larry Lapham

Guest Larry Lapham

Hello All:

Newcomer here.  Saw a great discussion on filter to pump routing on a non A/C car.    I'm concerned with the other end.  Have refurbished and painted my gas tank and wire brushed, sanded and repainted the underbody. 

As I prepare to re install the tank I noticed the metal fuel and vapor return lines are virtually on top of the transverse muffler.  I don't see any body clips to attach to and the shop manual doesn't give enough detail to help me.  

Do I just bend the lines to maximize the clearance above the muffler ??  I am an old guy and took the tank out several years ago so I don't recall whether I may have removed a clip and just don't remember.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, 

Larry

Guest Larry Lapham

Hi Mozzie:

Thanks for getting back with photos.  Your car looks good underneath.  If I see the photos correctly there is a body clip on the passenger side just forward of the slot for the gas tank strap bolt.  Is that right?  I can't find any sign of such a clip at that point on my car but maybe I'm not interpreting the photos properly.

The sending unit on my tank is centered at the forward end and the pipes point forward.   That would mean a severe "S" bend for the flex lines to connect up.   Is that what you found when you stripped the car?

Thanks again for the help.

Larry

Guest Larry Lapham

Hi again Mozzie:

Just located the hole where that clip SHOULD be.  Apparently someone took it off .  They tie wrapped the lines to the frame crossmember above the swing arm.  Disappointing as I got this car with service records going way back from a woman who said she was the original owner but the car was a gift from a boyfriend who bought it through his company, hence no original Bill of Sale as it went with the company records after he died.  I tend to believe her, I pursued the car for several months but after one ad she decided she didn't want to "let it go" while he was alive.  So why the slop job on the fuel lines I ask myself .  Maybe I got snookered on the story but it is still a rust free beauty from California ( it came with the black license plate).

Do you have any idea of the part number for that body clip?  Or the correct description if it's not just "body clip"?  Maybe at "Cars"?   Anyway thanks again for your help.

Larry

Go to your local hardware store and see what you can find in the way of clamps in the electrical and/or plumbing departments.  I found some clamps that had been plastic coated that were close.  I took them home and bent them into the shape that I needed.  I used steel rods the same diameters as the tubing and a hammer and anything else lying around that I could find to shape the clamps to fit both sizes of the tubing.

Ed

Hi Larry,
The clips are pretty basic - you could just about make them with the right kind of metal strip. Many places like OPGI sell clips that are similar but in most cases they are just cheap universal clips that don't really match the originals at all. What I have noticed is that all the clips on the fuel lines appear to be much the same. 
I can't remember the orientation of the hoses from the fuel lines to the tank I'm afraid. I do know that the hoses are each about 8" long so they may well bend back on themselves with a decent radius. OPGI and other places sell the two fuel lines pre-bent to fit the car in stainless and natural. Be warned though that these actually have extra, large radius bends, to fit them in boxes so you'll have to bend them back straight (seems rather pointless).

fuelline03.jpg

fuelline04.jpg