Best 66 mustang convertible spec

Hi guys 

looking for some advice wishing to drive a classic American in the uk , I love 50s cars but going to share with my son in law who will only consider a 66 mustang or corvette , so going with mustang , 66 corvette bit pricey . Firstly confused by codes read that a is standard c deluxe but is there much difference in the trim and is a code c worth more. Secondly what is best a good original or one that has a recent complete restoration , surprisingly not a huge difference in price. Neither me or my son in law are hands on mechanics so staying clear of unfinished projects. Some adverts say rare , but is this true as seems to be quite a few available and having looked at production numbers seems quite a few made too. So is there a prime checklist , say 66 code c GT or should we just get a great condition one original or restored? And not worry about codes etc.

cheers

pilgrim

The fifth digit of the VIN will be the engine, so the C code that you're seeing is a 289 with a 2-barrel carburetor. An A-code is a 289 with a 4-barrel carburetor, a bit more powerful and desirable. Then there's the K-code, which is the 289 Hi-Po with 271 horsepower, which was the most desirable Mustang motor in 1966. There's also a T-code, which is a 200 cubic inch inline-6.

The GT option package is not denoted in the VIN or on the door tag, and it's quite difficult to verify whether a 1966 Mustang is a real GT. Does it matter? Meh, if you're just buying it to drive and not as an investment, I would argue no. GT cars are most easily identified by fog lights up front, white stripes along the rockers, GT emblems in place of the Mustang emblems on the front fenders, a GT gas cap, and a rear valence with exhaust tips that come through with "trumpet" tips. There is no performance advantage to the GT, although it did come with the heavy-duty suspension and front disc brakes as standard (both of which you could get on other Mustangs as stand-alone options). 

What is your price range and which of the three body styles are appealing to you? This is far more important than the specification. If you want a V8 car, an A or C code car will be fine and you can always add horsepower if you want more, both engines are quite easy to modify and upgrade. Also, you should determine which transmission you would prefer, as 4-speed cars command a premium. I would argue that you should buy the best quality car in your price range that's the body style you want, regardless of engine or GT spec. There are a lot of beat-up Mustangs, buy a good one and you can always tweak it to make it what you want. Parts are plentiful and cheap.

If you Google "Mustang door tag decoder" you'll get a whole list of facts and details about the Mustangs that will help you figure out what combination is on a particular car and how it was issued by the factory. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Hi Matt 

great information , thanks , so my revised spec would be convertible V8 auto , like the fogs up front so GT , seen a nice original Florida car asking 33 and great looking restoration with fogs ,advertised in Vancouver asking 35 , but will consider what you have said and scan the internet again ,  will keep you posted 

many thanks

pilgrim