Grumpy's Auto Shop

What is 'Antique'?

On 7/28/2016 at 1:18 PM, benjamin j said:

I am also in Ohio. On the year of make plates the rules are that you can display them but you must purchase historical plates and have them in the car with you at all times. you also have to abide by historical plate rules. the whole historical plate thing is a joke if you ask me because of the limitations and how it can effect your insurance. just like calling a 1991 a historical car is a joke.

Or, if that '91 happens to be a Hyundai Elantra.  Perhaps for those (and others) there should be another Plate which says, 'Hysterical Vehicle'.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

To go beyond the literal interpretation of a word is far beyond the grasp of many. I get the concept of an antique car because of the values I was raised with. I have a 1994 car licensed and insured as an antique. There is a reason and it ain't the cheap plates. If you know why, you understand. If you don't, maybe someday you will.

Bernie

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:54 AM, GregLaR said:

They may use the 25 year rule but I don't believe anyone considers a 1991 anything with it's plastic bumpers and on board computer to be "antique".

That's the same argument they gave when they went from body fames made out of wood to steel

You must really hate Corvette's

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

One more point.

This car is a 1976 Cutlass Supreme, and it is a Antique

26207740001_large.jpg

This is a 1976 Cutlass Supreme, and it is NOT a Antique. It is simply a modified used car

002.jpg

Current Florida Definitons:

• Antique or Historic Vehicle plates, for vehicles that:
    • Were made after 1945 AND are at least 30 years old, and;;
    • Have an engine that is at least 30 years old.
  • Horseless Carriage plates, for vehicles that:
    • Were made no later than 1945, and;
    • Are no more than 5,000 lbs.

Once upon a time there was a "Historic" or "Collector" plate (I forget) that was plain blue with white letters. Had one for a while on a 78 but never liked it.

If before 1975 you can get a YOM plate.

And then there was the "Q" plate.

4 hours ago, padgett said:

Once upon a time there was a "Historic" or "Collector" plate (I forget) that was plain blue with white letters. Had one for a while on a 78 but never liked it.

Mr. P

I just was given a Florida "Antique" plate three weeks ago when I registered my 62 Chevy in Florida and it was plain blue with white letters, so they are still issuing those colors 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Among the cars I currently own is a 1968 Firebird 400 4 speed, a full decade before the Cutlass listed above and infinitely more collectable. No one considers it an "antique" or has ever called it one. I don't either. "Classic" at best.

20160614_145257.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Among the cars I currently own is a 1968 Firebird 400 4 speed, a full decade before the Cutlass listed above and infinitely more collectable. No one considers it an "antique" or has ever called it one. I don't either. "Classic" at best.

20160614_145257.jpg

Look up the definition of a classic car.

One of the most common questions asked is: "What exactly is a Classic Car?"

The Club defines CCCA Classics or Full Classic™ Cars as "...fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1915 to 1948. All of these are very special cars that are distinguished by their respective fine design, high engineering standards and superior workmanship." They were usually quite expensive when new with relatively low production figures. You won't find your Mom's '72 Plymouth Duster or your Grandfather's Model A Ford in the ranks of CCCA. We applaud other clubs who do recognize these cars and recognize that owning one can be a lot of fun, but they are not what CCCA is all about.

Your car is a antique car,  as long as you haven't modified it.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

3 hours ago, helfen said:

Your car is a antique car,  as long as you haven't modified it.

Ha Ha! :lol:

You crack me up!

35 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Ha Ha! :lol:

You crack me up!

Glad to keep you happy.

I'd just call it "desirable" & from the tires think you call it "fun". However I remember it as "new".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

I'd just call it "desirable" & from the tires think you call it "fun". However I remember it as "new".

Yes padgett, when I do get the chance to drive it now and then it is a lot of fun! It is a total numbers matching car, rotisserie restoration. Only variation was the rear wheels. I wanted it to look sort of period correct with a nice set of fatties on the back but instead of buying a set of mags I decided to send a pair of stock Pontiac rally wheels over to Stockton Wheel and had them widened to 10 inches. The effect works well. Still gives an original appearance, but fills those huge wheel wells better than a 6 inch rim.

(I remember them new too, that's why it will never be an "antique" to me! B))

I grew up in the hobby and I have a hard time considering anything after about 1970 as being anything other than a used car. There are special and collectable cars that are newer than that but I have no interest in them. I also realize that people consider classic or antique cars as cars they remember when growing up. Someone that is 45 years loves second generation cameros as they were the 'Cool' cars in high school. I have been around AACA my whole life and it is strange to see a 1990 Honda  winning the same award as a 1914 Buick. I guess that's the beauty of this organization and a way to keep younger people involved.

Hmmmmm. No turn Signals, Real Headlights,.. 101 years old, and can get me to the Martin Guitar Factory and back from downtown Allentown PA Buick Nationals. Must be a Genuine Antique Car. Dandy Dave! 

IMG_1184.JPG

• Like 1