Cast iron pistons 3 7/8. `16 thru `28.

I started a topic on the 23rd requesting an iron piston for my `17 Stude. 4 cyl. I was referred to web cite vapinc.com. They listed among other things iron pistons. I contacted them today and it was stated by a new employee that all of the iron pistons had been sold and the company was eliminating all of the automotive parts. Does anyone know who bought all of the iron pistons or might have a good spare to sell? Both 4 and 6 cyl. engines used the same bore for the years noted.  Art in N Cal.  :rolleyes:

Edited by rvanti2
Spelling error. (see edit history)

I have a nice set of Big Six pistons with rings and rods. Cast iron, four ring and measure 3.871" OD. I would sell the set. 

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com 

According to the parts manuals the std sized pistons were as follows: 1914-15  p/n 13077 (bushed), 1916-17 p/n 16736 (non-bushed), 1918 & 1919-1920 EG p/n 32623 (non-bushed), 1920-1921 EG, 1922-1924 EK, 1925 EP p/n 105063 (bushed). These were all 4 ring pistons.

Scott

Art,

What I don't know is the difference between the Big Six p/n 105063 pistons I have and the 1917 4 cylinder p/n 16736 pistons you have...wrist pin diameter, overall piston height, center line of wrist pin to top of piston and to top of compression ring, etc.  If the two parts are similar and the dimensions close maybe the Big Six pistons would work out for you but I would replace all 4 to ensure a good balance.  Let me know if you want some measurements.

Scott

17 hours ago, Stude Light said:

I have a nice set of Big Six pistons with rings and rods. Cast iron, four ring and measure 3.871" OD. I would sell the set. 

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com 

Definitely, I will take all of those measurements. I will use 4 of yours if they work. Our rods are already done. I hope we can work it our. How much for the set. Art.

Art,

Sorry, life got really busy this week. Piston measurements:

Diameter: 3.871"

Height: 4.7"

Wrist pin diameter: 1.00"

Centerline of wrist pin to top of piston: 2.5"

Centerline of wrist pin to bottom of piston: 2.2"

Ring thickness: 0.187"

Compression ring to groove gap: 0.006" (Spec is 0.001 - 0.002") so they are a bit worn.  If this was your daily driver you may want to add ring spacers and recut the ring groove but I wouldn't be too concerned. Before I rebuilt the engine on my car, it was running around with a 0.015" the compression ring to groove gap. 

These are from a Big Six.  All six pistons/rods look pretty much the same but one rod cap is missing the bolt.  You can see one side is pretty clean and the other has a little surface rust (typical of all 6).

$120 for all six.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.comDSC08044.JPGDSC08045.JPGDSC08046.JPG