Headlamp Upgrade to LED or Halogen

pint4

Does anyone by chance have the names of any suppliers who sell replacement 6 volt headlamp bulbs that are Halogen or LED.  If anyone has any experience with either one and has an opinion, I would appreciate your input before I purchase any bulbs for my car.  My original bulb is a 6 volt 2330L.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I would skip LED headlights until the price comes down and the lighting performance increases.  Plus they look out of place on a classic car.  A good H4 halogen housing will be cheaper and provide a better beam pattern.  I have Cibie 7" H4 headlights in a couple of my cars and they perform better than many modern cars I've driven, including some with projector headlights.  They have fluted lenses so they keep the original sealed beam look.  There are cheaper H4 options but they won't have as good of a beam pattern.  After Cibie I'd look for Koito H4's but they're not available in the US.  Marchal made an excellent H4 but they're nearly impossible to find in good condition. 

Amazon has the best deal on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q

For bulbs, 6 volt halogen H4 bulbs will fit in the Cibie housings.  LED/H4 hybrid bulbs may be tempting but they scatter the beam pattern due to improper light source size and placement. 

Edited by theastronaut (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I have many spare headlight bulbs should you decide to continue with the original type. I tried to adapt an H4 bulb into a vintage headlight (separate lens, bulb, reflector). I was able to fit the bulb, but the alignment with the filament and lens was off and resulted in the wrong focus of both beams.

(o[]o)