LED or Halogen 6 volt replacement Headlamps

The original headlamps on my car were 6 volt 2330L bulbs.   I am looking to replace them with Halogen or LED 6 volt replacement bulbs.  Has any one done this upgrade and which did you try, LED or Halogen?  Was there an appreciable difference?  I want to be able to drive my car so I am looking for something better than the original Tungsten filament bulbs.  I am also looking for the names of a couple of different sources for purchasing both the LED and Halogen bulbs.  Would like to be able to compare prices.

Thanks,

Bob

I have a 1938 Plymouth P-6.  I have run the tungsten filament bulbs for 45 years.  When I had to redo the wiring to the headlights I went to Halogen bulbs that come from down under.  They are created with  the Chrysler base I needed and are focused.  I noticed a big difference the first time I drove it at night.  I am now getting ready to upgrade the brake/taillight bulbs to halogen also.  I am in Atlanta city and really worry about people not seeing me at night.  I bought the bulbs from a British Car parts supplier in Michigan( I think).  I think this is their website www.lbcarco.com.  I have noticed that the last time I went to the site the bulbs were a little hard to find, but they still import them.

I installed Halogen bulbs in the headlights and LED bulbs in the tail lights. I'm happy with both. I got red LED bulbs for the tail lights The salesman said that red would show brighter than clear. Zeke

I have been told that the 6 volt Halogen bulbs consumer 9 amps each and the 18 amps will consume most of the generator capacity leaving little else for the other bulbs, radio, etc.   Does anyone make a LED headlight bulb that would be a direct replacement for a 2331 tungsten bulb? 

56 minutes ago, pint4 said:

I have been told that the 6 volt Halogen bulbs consumer 9 amps each and the 18 amps will consume most of the generator capacity leaving little else for the other bulbs, radio, etc.   Does anyone make a LED headlight bulb that would be a direct replacement for a 2331 tungsten bulb? 

At least when I bought the 6v halogen bulbs for my car from Classic and Vintage Bulbs in Australia they had 25w and 35w versions. 25w @ 6v is just a little over 4 amps. I used the 25w as the current draw on them was the same as the #1000 bulbs I had been using and I thought the 35w bulbs would overload the headlight switch and generator.

Your base is different from mine, but I would have thought that they would have the same choice in lamps with different bases.