Stormberg accelerator pump

dons56

I have a 1956 Buick Special Riviera with a Dynaflow and Stromberg 2 barrel carburetor.  It has always been that when the car sits for several days it takes a lot of pumping to get enough gas to the carb to start the engine. Over time it has progressively gotten worse and I have gotten old and can't take the foot action necessary to start the engine.  The tag used to ID the carb for a rebuild kit has been long gone. My last trip to the auto parts store was a sad experience. They only showed a 4 barrel carter.   The engine runs good so I can live without a complete rebuild. Something I read recently indicated that the wearing part may be made of leather. If that is true, I should be able to repair the existing pump.  Can you help me avoid starting something I can't finish?

Stromberg Carbs have a number stamped on the top bowl cover.  CARS (908-369-3666) Lists a kit to rebuild the 1955-1956 Special 2 barrel Stromberg Carb. and the Numbers stamped on the carb that it covers. Your carb should be a Model WW. A new accelerator pump would be included. 

If you do not want to do a total rebuild, the pumps are available on eBay, as are the kits. The leather on the pump is shaped and probably swedged on and most likely cannot be replaced so the whole pump is needed.

Edited by Thomas J. Bianculli (see edit history)

Don - BEFORE throwing rocks at your accelerator pump and buying a kit, try these two links:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm#Acceleratorpumps

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm#Hardstartcold

If you DO require a kit, ask if the accelerator pump cup is leather or synthetic. The synthetic pumps do not hold up nearly so well as leather.

Thomas (post above) is correct about the number STAMPED, NOT RAISED, on the airhorn (top casting). Buick carbs should be a 7-nn or 7-nnn where the nn or nnn represents a two or three digit number. There may, or may not, be a letter following the number. If present, the letter is an engineering status.

Jon.

9 hours ago, dons56 said:

It has always been that when the car sits for several days it takes a lot of pumping to get enough gas to the carb to start the engine. Over time it has progressively gotten worse

I would bet that the modern gas has evaporated in the carb. 

My carbureted cars all do this, but you can add an inline electric fuel pump to fill the carb before starting. 

Put the electric at the rear of car is best, and with a push button is best.  Once the priming is done, the original fuel pump is all that's needed.

I thank all of you who have responded.  What a wealth of information.  I will get with my son (SpecialEducation) and try to formulate a strategy.  I like the electric pump idea.  We have an '82 Scottsdale with the same problem.  If that solves our problem on one it may well solve it on both.  Thank you so much guys.