ScarredKnightfan

What does rare mean to you!?

4 minutes ago, John348 said:

As far as cars....big block Chevelle's were rare to see when they were new, now they almost seem to be a common car.

He,he...depends on where you were located...  My high school was almost next door to the Chevy dealership...  Around 68, the front row of the best used cars they displayed, were four 66 SS396 hardtops, and one SS396 conv.   All five were purchased by 5 kids in my class.   One was a kid we hung around with, and he took the cheapest one with that odd dark teal color that was not a good seller.  They were all priced between $1695 to $1895

I honestly think that the used car manager bought these at auction and knew they would sell to our school students

24 minutes ago, F&J said:

He,he...depends on where you were located...  My high school was almost next door to the Chevy dealership...  Around 68, the front row of the best used cars they displayed, were four 66 SS396 hardtops, and one SS396 conv.   All five were purchased by 5 kids in my class.   One was a kid we hung around with, and he took the cheapest one with that odd dark teal color that was not a good seller.  They were all priced between $1695 to $1895

I honestly think that the used car manager bought these at auction and knew they would sell to our school students

Now you have me thinking about our high school cars.. lol,...  There were at least two more SSbig block Chevelles.  One was a new 66 SS396 black coupe, purchased for twin sons to share, by a wealthy milk distribution family.  Right after they graduated, they also got a new Corvette.  They still own both cars, and when I asked around some years ago, It was said the cars are ultra low mile and mint, but never used.  The other SS 66/67 Chevelle was controversial at school.  He said it was a SS427 with the center grille emblem that said that.  Classmates said it was faked?  IDK

Also, a classmate bought a new 67 SS Impala HT 427 4 speed.  And two brothers that worked afternoons/summers caddying at a uppity golf country club, both bought new: a 68 SS396 Chevelle conv, and the other bought a 69 Camaro SS coupe that was HP SBC?, but I don't recall the size.

Fords: a 64 Galaxie R code 427-4speed that a friend kept for two decades outside and sold it for peanuts right before the nostalgia craze hit!  ..it was that awful tan/pinkish flesh color.  A kid who's dad died and mom got a huge settlement, the kid bought two cars at different times from the once famous Tasca Ford dealership, one was a stunning 68 mustang coupe, medium/dark blue metallic, 428 Cobrajet 4-speed.  That car survived and last I knew it was sitting in a residential garage with a blown-up motor.  That orig owner sold the 68 in late 68/early 69 and bought another new Tasca Mustang, but I don't recall...it was a more powerful/expensive one.

all of the cars I spoke of were 4 speeds.  interesting to me that I cannot recall any notable HP Mopars?

This was a dying ex-mill town, with mostly blue collar kids, too.

3 hours ago, F&J said:

and he took the cheapest one with that odd dark teal color that was not a good seller. 

I now find that was the best color they offered that year!!

8 minutes ago, Skyking said:

I now find that was the best color they offered that year!!

I agree completely.  I even saw a 65 Chevelle SS (5-10 years ago) with what appeared to be the same?  I just don't recall a 65 in that color back then.  The one I did see, was repainted a totally different color, but that dark teal was on the jambs where the repaint had peeled.

What's rare in one locality does not mean its rare in a different part of the world. 

A Holden Monaro is rarely seen in North America, but to an Australian, there as common as a Chevrolet here.,

Craig

17 hours ago, F&J said:

I agree completely.  I even saw a 65 Chevelle SS (5-10 years ago) with what appeared to be the same?  I just don't recall a 65 in that color back then.  The one I did see, was repainted a totally different color, but that dark teal was on the jambs where the repaint had peeled.

I have a friend that has a '67 Chevelle SS that dark teal with a black vinyl top that's outstanding!!  I'm not sure either if the '65 offered that color.  I guess a Goggle search for paint chips could confirm it.......

Rare is when the beholder's eyes are limited in number.

013.jpg

Or an unusual combination, but associated..

A 005.jpg

Bernie

I grew up in a small farm town but we had two supper birds and a judge on the street I lived on.  I did not think they were rare and still don’t think that the judge is rare. In 1979 I dated a woman who got one of the birds in a divorce. She was butt ugly and I was OK with that if it meant I might get the bird. She totaled it a year later.

It is interesting but some of the really desirable cars today were not popular when new. Remember a Ford dealer in Miami in 66-67 (is a bit of a blur) that had a whole bunch of new early GT-350s. Not 100% sure but think they were advertised at $2995. If anyone cares to research the Miami Herald I'm sure you could find the adv't.

67-69 Z-28s languished in Florida because they were not available with automagic or AC. In 1978 I had to put down a $1000 deposit at the Delray Pontiac dealer to order a Sunbird that was not available with AC. 63 built.  Later traded that car for a set of wheels. 

Had the GTP out today, fun car that surprises M3s and AMGs. 47 built in '93, the last of an era, and has no appreciable value.

For me, each of my cars is different, fun, and did not buy to appreciate.

I recently went to look at a 37 Cadillac that was never produced based on production figures.  It is body #3.  Story is 12 were produced.  Number 6 is known.  No one knows where the 12 came from, even GM Heritage has no numbers.  Is it "Rare" or just "Unique"?  Trying to buy it so no more details now.

how about just the engine, A 226 G series Ford 6 cylinder. Used only in 41,42 (limited production) and early 46. to the point not all parts are available now. 

Hadn't planned to respond to this, but since I've apparently already used up my quota of "likes" & can't "like" anymore comments now, figured I'd just type a quick "thank you" for the discussion to all. :)

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"It helps fill an empty place" __ Charly McClain __ 'Radio Heart'

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:50 PM, capngrog said:

As far as old cars go (not steaks), I would call this rare:  http://biggeekdad.com/2015/07/a-very-rare-old-car/

This is one of the coolest, errr, most cool old cars I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Grog

I remember this car at Harrah's in the late 60s or early 70s.

If I recall correctly, the extra engine was on a stand next to the car.

Yes, I would call this one RARE !!

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a circa 1955 Buckler Mk. 16 . It's a rough basket case . It's probably something most of you haven't heard of. Buckler cars were a small English company who built cars and components for sports car enthusiasts . The company was similar to Lotus in the early days and the products were along the same lines.  My car would have been sold as a frame kit and was intended as a entry level racing car or as the start of a road going sports car. There were at least a couple of hundred Bucklers built but they were for the most part sold in England. A small number , perhaps 25 came to North America.

My Mk. 16 was based on Morris Minor Susp. components and was intended for MGTD power, or later in the 1950's MGA power.  It is very similar to the Mk. 15 Buckler except for a 6 " longer wheelbase.  The Mk. 15's were normally Morris Minor  or later on MG midget / A.H. Sprite powered.

The point is that my project is one of two Mk. 16 survivors known to the Buckler club, and I think that probably qualifies as rare.  Not really very expensive but an interesting foot note in automotive history. And what I hope will be a comparatively  inexpensive vintage racer, If such a thing exists.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

... a tasty steak and a full belly!

Rare doesn't mean anything, it has no value nor meaning regarding cars(or anything). People want to think that something "rare" means valuable.  The only thing that makes anything valuable is "desirable" Many times when there are few of an item, it means they were not desirable so few were made or sold. Sometimes after enough time goes by, the undesirable becomes desirable and VOILA! valuable!

• Like 2

"Rare" in the auto world is worth about the same a "Goodwill" in the business world.  Something that you can't take to the bank.  No cash value but "Desirable" there is the sale maker.

• Like 1

I don't think the terms 'rare', 'desirable', or 'valuable' have much to do with each other.

But to toss those terms out as useless doesn't make much sense. Each has its own meaning albeit may be different  for different people.

• Like 1