What does rare mean to you!?

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:50 PM, capngrog said:

As far as old cars go (not steaks), I would call this rare:  http://biggeekdad.com/2015/07/a-very-rare-old-car/

This is one of the coolest, errr, most cool old cars I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Grog

I remember this car at Harrah's in the late 60s or early 70s.

If I recall correctly, the extra engine was on a stand next to the car.

Yes, I would call this one RARE !!

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a circa 1955 Buckler Mk. 16 . It's a rough basket case . It's probably something most of you haven't heard of. Buckler cars were a small English company who built cars and components for sports car enthusiasts . The company was similar to Lotus in the early days and the products were along the same lines.  My car would have been sold as a frame kit and was intended as a entry level racing car or as the start of a road going sports car. There were at least a couple of hundred Bucklers built but they were for the most part sold in England. A small number , perhaps 25 came to North America.

My Mk. 16 was based on Morris Minor Susp. components and was intended for MGTD power, or later in the 1950's MGA power.  It is very similar to the Mk. 15 Buckler except for a 6 " longer wheelbase.  The Mk. 15's were normally Morris Minor  or later on MG midget / A.H. Sprite powered.

The point is that my project is one of two Mk. 16 survivors known to the Buckler club, and I think that probably qualifies as rare.  Not really very expensive but an interesting foot note in automotive history. And what I hope will be a comparatively  inexpensive vintage racer, If such a thing exists.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

... a tasty steak and a full belly!

Rare doesn't mean anything, it has no value nor meaning regarding cars(or anything). People want to think that something "rare" means valuable.  The only thing that makes anything valuable is "desirable" Many times when there are few of an item, it means they were not desirable so few were made or sold. Sometimes after enough time goes by, the undesirable becomes desirable and VOILA! valuable!

• Like 2

"Rare" in the auto world is worth about the same a "Goodwill" in the business world.  Something that you can't take to the bank.  No cash value but "Desirable" there is the sale maker.

I don't think the terms 'rare', 'desirable', or 'valuable' have much to do with each other.

But to toss those terms out as useless doesn't make much sense. Each has its own meaning albeit may be different  for different people.

• Like 1