What does rare mean to you!?

To me, the word -rare- is used a bit too much nowadays!  What do you consider rare?  Would this coupe fit your critical definition!? 
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/19/daily-dose-trivia-tue-70/

Some cattle humor, with a gorgeous, 2-tone GMC pickup:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/22/daily-dose-philosophy-fri-70/

Which of these 2 smart promo models would you rather have!?
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/21/thursday-survey-70/

A surprising street-eye level view of Metro City:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/23/scale-saturday-70/

Cort ;) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"I'm just saying" __ Shinedown __ 'Second Chance'

To me, rare means either single digit production or rusted out so fast there are only single digits left.

Rare does not necessarily mean desirable. Sometimes it means no-one wanted one.

Rare does not mean an option mix unless it involves overhead cams or lotsa gears. (GM could have built a million 69 Chevvies, no two alike).

• Like 2

Rare only means that few still exist. That does not equate to valuable or production numbers.

I would agree that "rare" is way over-used. Color combinations, IMO, do not make a car rare. 

One of our rarest cars, the 1933 Continental Flyer, is the only know LHD driver in the western hemisphere that's roadworthy. There is a singular RHD in New Zealand.

77646_4153836358294_825778822_o.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Quite often, rare means that almost nobody liked it.  So very few were sold.

Or maybe too expensive to buy in the beginning, so did not sell well....

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Or maybe too expensive to buy in the beginning, so did not sell well....

Or it was just a real bad car had no resale and were off to the junkyard as soon as a repair exceeded the value of the car, which was not all that much . Take the Vega for example, they made well over a million in the run, other then the Cosworth's (apply the too expensive reason on those, $500 less then a Corvette, and $1000 more then a Camaro) when was the last time anyone saw a Vega that was not modified? . My uncle had a Vega Kamback wagon he used  as a commuter car and junked it because it needed new tires and the car was worth less then the cost of the tires. He was a police officer in the South Bronx in mid 70's his reason for using it was even the car thief's would not steal it they had such a bad rep

I agree with all the reasons so far...but adding more..

My 32 Nash is the rarest car I have owned.  Body number 38. 

-it was not proportioned "typically", it's more of a European open car style. It also is "out of proportion", with a Waterhouse style super long door/super short Coupled rear body, but unfortunately it used the shorter 6 hood.   I think many went to South America as the style seems more accepted there.  I found no others in the USA, but 2 in South America so far, in 8-9 years of looking

-it was the smallest of 7 different sized Nash chassis/engine models....entry level model.

-But the special 5 passenger open car body, placed onto a cheap chassis with smallest engine, put the price in a very bad place from a salesman's point of view.  I think a person would spend the same $ for the smallest 8 Nash, with a not so expensive body.

-and it appears this body had plywood sills which hastened their demise, and were junked, not saved

...even the sales brochure illustration seems to try to hide it's "uncomfortable proportion" problems.  But it is my favorite car I have owned, as I really like the front half....it is such a high end styling treatment on such a "lower priced" USA 32-"anymake" chassis.  I know it is not valuable, but I don't care.

123661e.jpg

I love the convertible Victoria body style.  I would say Waterhouse is my favourite.  Your car is very cool Frank.

Rare for me depends on what era you are discussing.

1.  For prewar cars,  I think of rare cars as those built in single digits.

2.  For musclecars, I think of cars built in numbers measured in 10s and engine/transmission combo counts.  For example,  16 RAIV GTO Converitbles built in 1969.

I'm ok with using rare as a qualification for an option but not the whole car.  For example,  73 Gremlin with rare factory air conditioning.  That is different than calling the whole car rare because of the A/C.

19 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Not found in large numbers..

I think that really says it all :)...no need to make things complicated.  I think the trouble comes when rarity is conflated with value.

They made tens of thousands of 65-66 Mustang convertibles, not rare by any stretch, but for many decades they have had greater value than similar cars of the era.  If you find a triple-black one though, that color combination in that car would genuinely be rare, and would definitely increase the value.  If you find a green one with red interior, that color combination in that car would also be genuinely rare, and would definitely decrease the value.

Rarity really has relatively little to do with value.  I can think of a number of cars that are not rare and all and yet are highly desirable, and valuable.  And, I can think of a number of cars that are rare by any definition that aren't considered desirable, and have relatively little value.

Edited by GT52
add emphasis (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Skyking said:

Pink on the inside.......

I like mine medium well!

My mom used to tell a story (a true story, according to her, and I have no reason to doubt it) about a country neighbor that went to Richmond, VA, maybe about 1920 or so, to visit some cousins who had relocated there earlier.  The waiter was taking their orders and they ordered steak, rare.  He had no idea what rare meant but he didn't want to be different so he ordered his "rare."  When it was brought to him, he informed the waiter, "See by dogs, you can take mine back and rare it over."   

23 minutes ago, john2dameron said:

My mom used to tell a story (a true story, according to her, and I have no reason to doubt it) about a country neighbor that went to Richmond, VA, maybe about 1920 or so, to visit some cousins who had relocated there earlier.  The waiter was taking their orders and they ordered steak, rare.  He had no idea what rare meant but he didn't want to be different so he ordered his "rare."  When it was brought to him, he informed the waiter, "See by dogs, you can take mine back and rare it over."   

I never really thought about it until now, but how did the word rare apply to how meat is cooked?

I remember eating raw chop meat as kid (and I was a city kid!) Now I could never imagine anyone feeding their child raw chop meat

As far as cars....big block Chevelle's were rare to see when they were new, now they almost seem to be a common car.

3 minutes ago, John348 said:

I never really thought about it until now, but how did the word rare apply to how meat is cooked?

I remember eating raw chop meat as kid (and I was a city kid!) Now I could never imagine anyone feeding their child raw chop meat

As far as cars....big block Chevelle's were rare to see when they were new, now they almost seem to be a common car.

And if you believe what you see at car shows, all Chevrolet Novas and Chevelles built after 1967 were SS models.

4 minutes ago, John348 said:

He,he...depends on where you were located...  My high school was almost next door to the Chevy dealership...  Around 68, the front row of the best used cars they displayed, were four 66 SS396 hardtops, and one SS396 conv.   All five were purchased by 5 kids in my class.   One was a kid we hung around with, and he took the cheapest one with that odd dark teal color that was not a good seller.  They were all priced between $1695 to $1895

I honestly think that the used car manager bought these at auction and knew they would sell to our school students

24 minutes ago, F&J said:

He,he...depends on where you were located...  My high school was almost next door to the Chevy dealership...  Around 68, the front row of the best used cars they displayed, were four 66 SS396 hardtops, and one SS396 conv.   All five were purchased by 5 kids in my class.   One was a kid we hung around with, and he took the cheapest one with that odd dark teal color that was not a good seller.  They were all priced between $1695 to $1895

I honestly think that the used car manager bought these at auction and knew they would sell to our school students

Now you have me thinking about our high school cars.. lol,...  There were at least two more SSbig block Chevelles.  One was a new 66 SS396 black coupe, purchased for twin sons to share, by a wealthy milk distribution family.  Right after they graduated, they also got a new Corvette.  They still own both cars, and when I asked around some years ago, It was said the cars are ultra low mile and mint, but never used.  The other SS 66/67 Chevelle was controversial at school.  He said it was a SS427 with the center grille emblem that said that.  Classmates said it was faked?  IDK

Also, a classmate bought a new 67 SS Impala HT 427 4 speed.  And two brothers that worked afternoons/summers caddying at a uppity golf country club, both bought new: a 68 SS396 Chevelle conv, and the other bought a 69 Camaro SS coupe that was HP SBC?, but I don't recall the size.

Fords: a 64 Galaxie R code 427-4speed that a friend kept for two decades outside and sold it for peanuts right before the nostalgia craze hit!  ..it was that awful tan/pinkish flesh color.  A kid who's dad died and mom got a huge settlement, the kid bought two cars at different times from the once famous Tasca Ford dealership, one was a stunning 68 mustang coupe, medium/dark blue metallic, 428 Cobrajet 4-speed.  That car survived and last I knew it was sitting in a residential garage with a blown-up motor.  That orig owner sold the 68 in late 68/early 69 and bought another new Tasca Mustang, but I don't recall...it was a more powerful/expensive one.

all of the cars I spoke of were 4 speeds.  interesting to me that I cannot recall any notable HP Mopars?

This was a dying ex-mill town, with mostly blue collar kids, too.

Guest Skyking
3 hours ago, F&J said:

and he took the cheapest one with that odd dark teal color that was not a good seller. 

I now find that was the best color they offered that year!!

8 minutes ago, Skyking said:

I now find that was the best color they offered that year!!

I agree completely.  I even saw a 65 Chevelle SS (5-10 years ago) with what appeared to be the same?  I just don't recall a 65 in that color back then.  The one I did see, was repainted a totally different color, but that dark teal was on the jambs where the repaint had peeled.

Guest Skyking
17 hours ago, F&J said:

I agree completely.  I even saw a 65 Chevelle SS (5-10 years ago) with what appeared to be the same?  I just don't recall a 65 in that color back then.  The one I did see, was repainted a totally different color, but that dark teal was on the jambs where the repaint had peeled.

I have a friend that has a '67 Chevelle SS that dark teal with a black vinyl top that's outstanding!!  I'm not sure either if the '65 offered that color.  I guess a Goggle search for paint chips could confirm it.......

I grew up in a small farm town but we had two supper birds and a judge on the street I lived on.  I did not think they were rare and still don’t think that the judge is rare. In 1979 I dated a woman who got one of the birds in a divorce. She was butt ugly and I was OK with that if it meant I might get the bird. She totaled it a year later.

It is interesting but some of the really desirable cars today were not popular when new. Remember a Ford dealer in Miami in 66-67 (is a bit of a blur) that had a whole bunch of new early GT-350s. Not 100% sure but think they were advertised at $2995. If anyone cares to research the Miami Herald I'm sure you could find the adv't.

67-69 Z-28s languished in Florida because they were not available with automagic or AC. In 1978 I had to put down a $1000 deposit at the Delray Pontiac dealer to order a Sunbird that was not available with AC. 63 built.  Later traded that car for a set of wheels. 

Had the GTP out today, fun car that surprises M3s and AMGs. 47 built in '93, the last of an era, and has no appreciable value.

For me, each of my cars is different, fun, and did not buy to appreciate.

I recently went to look at a 37 Cadillac that was never produced based on production figures.  It is body #3.  Story is 12 were produced.  Number 6 is known.  No one knows where the 12 came from, even GM Heritage has no numbers.  Is it "Rare" or just "Unique"?  Trying to buy it so no more details now.

Hadn't planned to respond to this, but since I've apparently already used up my quota of "likes" & can't "like" anymore comments now, figured I'd just type a quick "thank you" for the discussion to all. :)

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"It helps fill an empty place" __ Charly McClain __ 'Radio Heart'