Carolina Roastmasters. - A-town bound

38Buick 80C

Two 38 Roadmasters were to be bound for Allentown from Concord yesterday.

My 80C

Dad's 81F

And the wife's Enclave

The Enclave has been in the shop 25 of the last 31 days. After finally retrieving it mid day, we attempted to set off... Or at least the 81F did...

And failed to make it to my house 5 miles away. So on to a Verano for Dad and off we set about 3PM.

This is the maiden voyage for the 80C since completing the restoration (aside from a few details).

We made it to Charlottesville VA overall the car ran good but I do have some ankle biter issues so far.

1. With lights on I am in a discharge scenario, luckily didn't use them much and won't need them much the rest of the trip.

2. I am running about 190-200 occasionally poking up to 212. It seems to heat up if I run 65 for a prolonged time. Ease off to 55 and she comes down a bit but still 190.

3. After my last stop for gas we reached some rolling hills. She is a bit down in power going up hill and she is backfiring too. Once it leveled out backfire virtually went away. Not sure if it is bad gas or with #2 maybe timing is retarded?

Shooting for another 250 miles today.

• Like 12

Brian,

Do you have a bypass valve in place or have you replaced the bypass valve with a freeze plug with a small hole in it? If you have the bypass valve in place, I would guess the there is a possibility that the bypass valve spring is a bit too weak. Obviously I suggest you recheck the timing too.

Rolling hills and down on power, Must feel like driving the Enclave across RT20 in New York State. What's the 25 day fix on that?

On the Roadmaster, always remember, a thoroughly serviced cooling system (hoses not collapsing, belt adjusted, jackets clean, pump in good condition, with unrestricted air flow) is more reliable than a gauge. All the natural laws work for you in a cooling system. A gauge is a secondary system based on assumptions. Stop in a Harbor Freight or Radio Shack and get a cheap infrared thermometer. Don't worry about the actual reading. Just look for a good temperature differential. If the system is rejecting heat you will be OK.

Bernie

• Like 4

Hello from Gainesville Virginia the site of the first breakdown. about 75 miles in.

Did advance the timing this morning. Thought it helped but symptoms returned. Running a bit cooler but hill issue and backfire finally caught up with me.

Combined with system never went it to charge today. Change the regulator about 10 miles into the drive and that didn't help, so drive it until the battery and hill fuel issues did me in.

But my clock is working now...go figure.

Dad went to Walmart to get a battery charger. We are by a residential neighborhood so some one has stopped and offered us a power outlet. Wife and kids went to eat. I am laid up in the back seat in the shade posting on the forum and letting the car cool.

Charge the battery and change the Generator to the spare and try again. Worst case if the battery charge gets me another 75 mile charge it again and a final 75 gets me to my brothers, which was destination for today. Then only another 90 or so to go to Allentown. I have to set up the flea market Monday morning so...

• Like 1

Oh as for the overheating, I doubt it is the cooling system. I recored radiator, fixed the by pass valve to recirculate through radiator always (by installing a tube that does not allow spring to compress) water wetter. Didn't paint the fins on the radiator. Up to this point it has always run 180 and running 190 now that I advanced the timing I will take as normal for hours of at speed driving.

In weather like this you probably will need the fuel pump on.  Especially on the hills as you noticed.  

Our cars start acting up above 85 degrees and need the fuel pump on all the time.  

Brave man not getting more miles on before an adventure like that.  

• Like 3

Good for you Brian!  I too had to wait about five minutes after a gassing-up for my 38 Special to cool down in upper 80's heat before it would start. 

Glad you got the charging problem fixed and ignition advanced. 

Try to get everyone to bed early so you can drive in the cool of the morning if you can...

Good luck & keep it safe...

• Like 1

Made it home today in a little over 11 hours. Trip back was mostly uneventful.

Car ran 212 most of the day

Charging gremlins at the beginning of the day (no charge at low rpm, Ok at high rpm) but it "fixed itself" by the second gas stop

Vapor lock up hills even with electric pump

Hard starting at fuel stops due to vaporlock/heat.

Did virtually all interstate on the way home instead of taking my time like I did on the way up and it was hot as we got south. So we'll see if I do the drive to Hershey in the fall or not...

A mile from home though my phone (aka my radio) set on random started playing the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel, very appropriately. The song finished as I pulled the car in the garage

• Like 3

Brian,

I love your car, and YOUR attitude, been there, been through many of the same issues.

Not to PICK on anyone, FOR SURE, but these issues are just some of the reasons I modified my 41 Limited.  NO disrespect to purist, I also understand your positions.

My car loves 80 MPH,  gets 20+ MPG, tires are available EVERYWHERE.  In the  21 years its been on the road, NO issues.

You look like a MOVIE STAR staring at the camera, with car in background, Lol.

Sad that my bride of 55+ years fell and injured her hip recently preventing us from attending the show, but looking forward to reading general comments on the show.

Dale in Indy

38 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

That sign!!!

:ph34r::D

you like that do you Mr Earl...something I picked up at Hershey and meant to post about and never did...

BTW congratulations on your BCA Literary Award! The article on Doraville was a great one.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, MrEarl said:

oh and never too late to post the sign. I started a forum just for that, ya know...

I got to get those pesky mopar's out of the way. Tried to before we left for A-town so I could put the Buick on the lift for cleaning and nut and bolt check, but the '69 wouldn't cooperate. I have a few things left to do the 80C then next car in line for restoration is the '69 Charger (wife wants a car with seat belts and factory air...what's the fun in that!!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

then next car in line for restoration is the '69 Charger (wife wants a car with seat belts and factory air...what's the fun in that!!).

Oohhh,  ask me, ask me!!! 

As a matter of fact, don't ask me.  I'll tell you.  It's terrific ending the day refreshed and content while still seeing 4-500 miles of planet earth up close and personal.

• Like 1

Brian,

I was too busy in Allentown to check our I pad, yet alone do postings.  Just now had a chance to check your posts.  Did not realize you had quite this adventure as well as running to very active vendor area.  Thanks for all your work in that area so we could keep our cars from would looked like could be a Saturday afternoon flood at one point.  But drainage sure worked, except for the one low spot.  I am sure that will be addressed.

John

Edited by jscheib (see edit history)
  • Like 3