37 Pontiac 6, 223 engine, timing hole cover

kookie1

Does anyone have a photo of the timing hole cover?     As I understand it there was an original timing hole cover but many were either never replaced after timing the engine or simply lost, either misplaced or dislodged and lost while in operation.    If I remember correctly I read here that someone still had their original timing hole cover.    Apparently they're a rare sighting on an engine.

I don't know if this will be a help or not.  This timing hole cover (pn 487833) fits all 6 cylinder Oaklands from 25 until end of production and Pontiacs from 26-33.  In 33 the 223.4 was an L8.  Your engine is a 222.7 L6.  I do not have a  parts book for your year.  Am attaching pictures and dimensions of my cover.

outside diameter 2", width across spring 1.5", thickness including rivet but not spring 1/2".  Hole in flywheel housing is 1 1/4".

IMG_20160720_203725.jpg

IMG_20160720_203800.jpg

IMG_20160720_203852.jpg

Edited by Guest
better images (see edit history)

Thanks, Tinindian, for your info, it does help.    It gave me another idea in case I decide to make a cover.    My 223 engine has a 1-1/4" square hole as you can see.   I've since seen the rubber Chevy covers you can purchase that are oval shaped but I don't know the size of them at this point.   I really wanted to know if Pontiac actually made a cover for this engine and what it looked like.   Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

Thanks again for your input!

Timing hole_1.25Sq.JPG

Thanks, 1940TORPEDO, for the shot.    It looks rather deep, that is thick, but who know, although you can't really tell how deep it would be in reality from a diagram pix.    I was hoping someone who actually had one would add a pix of it here but who know, it could happen eventually.

I know now, thanks to you, they really did make a timing hole cover in '37.

• 5 months later...

Hey, PP you found a hole cover!!    U da man!!    I never thought I'd see an actual '37 hole cover.  

Where did you find one?     Is that a metal grab flap on top or maybe it's a grab strap to pull it out of the hole.  It's hard to tell from the picture.  Now that I think about it, I assume the hollow portion with the raised ridge goes on the inside to hold it in place, right?   So what sticks out of the hole when it's plugged is the grab strap or whatever you call it.   I'm just guessing here as you probably gathered.

Thanks for the photos PP!

HaHaHa!!!    OK, thanks for the thought, but I guess I'll have to wait until they figure out how to print foam rubber in a 3-D printer!!    I won't be holding my breath.    I thought for sure Steele Rubber would have already been making them but I guess I'm mistaken.

Anyway, thanks for responding, PP, you have a great week!

Hey Kook!! My parts book shows that 1941-42 years used a different timing hole cover than the rubber one `37-`54..  And guess what? It`s metal.. So I dug thru G-pa`s boxes of stuff and I have found one. The hole in the `41-`42 bell-housing is slightly different from your picture, the lip around the hole is the same height all around the hole, but hole is the same size 1 1/4" square.  Tom

Hey Tom, that's an idea.    I would not have guessed the bell housing hole would still be the same size five years later.    Thanks for looking into G-pa's boxes.     Would you be interested in letting it go?     I still need both arms and legs thou!   Ha! Ha!    Paul