Jump to content

Battery for '63 401--group size?


Recommended Posts

I searched the forums and found references to a suggested 27F battery for my 1963. However, searching the local stores--Autozone, Advance, O'Reillys--I'm seeing groups 24, 25, 26, and 34, but no 27. Thoughts/suggestions? 

 

And, no, I forgot to check what kind of battery I currently have before I left for work this morning... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked the website for the local Autozone and they show one in Stock.  You might have to order one.  If the counter person has to deal with year, make, and model or his  computer won't tell him anything, ask to speak to the manager.  There should be no reason you can't get one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 27F? I'm on the website and it must be staring me in the face. Can you post the specific link? All I see are 24, 25, 25S, 26, 34, and 75.

I would prefer not to order one, as my car is registered for a show this Wednesday, so any guidance as far as the other groups would help; I've seen notes here also suggesting a 24 is adequate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-automotive-battery-group-size-27f-price/p-02850928000P

 

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/duralast-gold-battery/249479_817435_0/

 

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-silver-battery-group-size-27-710-cca-27f-3/2040183-P?searchTerm=27f+battery

 

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NBD7527F/

 

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBL/AGM27/N2493.oap?ck=Search_N2493_1431117_-1&pt=N0056&ppt=C1980

  This is not a 27F just a 27 but they probably have the 27F - hard website to navigate if you won't go "year, make, model."

 

Don't go on "Group size" alone.  Look at the CCA for each group.  Some batteries are smaller physically but put out more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps.)

 

The Group 27 just fills the battery tray from side to side and is the correct height.

 

 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link and explanation. Now, as I'm a bit out of my wheelhouse, can someone explain why several of these sites claim this battery will not fit my car? Also, if it helps, I do have the larger two-note horn on the driver's side of the hood, which I understand in certain circumstances might interfere with the battery cables. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just walked in to my local NAPA and they had the right battery in stock. I have noticed sites will say an item is not correct for a 1963 Riviera when I know it is correct. One example that I can think of is oil filters. I am thinking some of these sites don't have items referenced back as far as 1963. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first generation Rivieras came with a type 27 battery.  That battery, if installed per the factory, would have the positive post nearest the radiator BUT the post would have been at the front of the battery, in front of the filler caps.  The 27F (for Ford), if installed per the folks in the ROA, puts the positive post nearest the radiator BUT it puts that post on the back side of the battery.  It's much easier to run the battery cables that way.  Keeping the positive post away from the hood and the inner fender is just plain good thinking.  It will short against the hood and destroy a whole bunch of wiring; take if from one who's been there and done that.  Luckily for me, the short ended at the aftermarket amp meter and didn't get to the entire harness.

 

Buick came out with a service bulletin after there had apparently been some problems with the bell of the larger four note horns wearing through the insulation on the positive battery cable and causing some damage.  They suggested that the positive battery cable be run between the battery and the hold down bolt on the back of the battery tray.  All this did was keep the positive cable from coming into contact with the horn bell.  Still might be a good practice just to get it out of the way.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Interstate battery distribution center near me. I have been buying what they call blems for the last 15 to 20 years, I forget just how long. I call from time to time and ask if any group 27 blems come in. I have one in the Riviera and one in the '60 Electra. I think the Impala and the PA convert are both group 24's. All Interstate blems, $45 exchange. I had to buy a new long 6 volt for the Packard. They had it in stock.

Good place and always friendly staff.

Bernie

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what is currently in my 63.  Certainly not correct ( too wide) as the top holder bracket is too narrow and is holding it in by pushing down on it and not clamping it in.

 

my question is " should it be turned 180 degrees and have the Positive red cable next to the radiator. Car has four note horns and certainly don't want to risk a fire.

 

Also happy to change the battery if need be.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Riviera People: I've used a group 65 in a First-Gen with great success. The positive terminal is on the driver's side rear.  For added protection (sounds like a commercial) you can install a plastic cap made expressly for the terminal end so the positive terminal doesn't inadvertently touch any sheet metal  that will ground it and cause a melt down.   Mitch

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2016 at 1:39 PM, Adambravo said:

Thanks for the link and explanation. Now, as I'm a bit out of my wheelhouse, can someone explain why several of these sites claim this battery will not fit my car? Also, if it helps, I do have the larger two-note horn on the driver's side of the hood, which I understand in certain circumstances might interfere with the battery cables. 

They probably don't list it because your Riviera is not high on their priority list for parts.  They just use something that's close that they have a lot of on hand.  What did you wind up buying?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2016 at 2:51 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I have an Interstate battery distribution center near me. I have been buying what they call blems for the last 15 to 20 years, I forget just how long. I call from time to time and ask if any group 27 blems come in. I have one in the Riviera and one in the '60 Electra. I think the Impala and the PA convert are both group 24's. All Interstate blems, $45 exchange. I had to buy a new long 6 volt for the Packard. They had it in stock.

Good place and always friendly staff.

Bernie

 

+1 on the Interstate warehouse above ^^^^^^^

 

Running 4 of their blems AKA Econo Power batteries. New guts/plates, old cases. No problems.

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 years later...
On 7/24/2016 at 7:34 AM, Paul K. said:

 

+1 on the Interstate warehouse above ^^^^^^^

 

Running 4 of their blems AKA Econo Power batteries. New guts/plates, old cases. No problems.

Paul, you are Lucky. NAPA and Interstate batteries have disappointed. Could very well be the local environment, but who knows.

Turbinator

Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern group 27s appear taller than the equivalent batteries from the 60s; this forces one to bulge the factory battery hold-down bracket over the top of the battery, whereas photos from when new show the bracket laying flat across the top.  The height issue is compounded if one chooses to install one of those Delco battery toppers.  Unfortunately, as previously stated, 27s are the best fit from all that's available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2016 at 3:00 PM, RivNut said:

The first generation Rivieras came with a type 27 battery.  That battery, if installed per the factory, would have the positive post nearest the radiator BUT the post would have been at the front of the battery, in front of the filler caps.  The 27F (for Ford), if installed per the folks in the ROA, puts the positive post nearest the radiator BUT it puts that post on the back side of the battery.  It's much easier to run the battery cables that way.  Keeping the positive post away from the hood and the inner fender is just plain good thinking.  It will short against the hood and destroy a whole bunch of wiring; take if from one who's been there and done that.  Luckily for me, the short ended at the aftermarket amp meter and didn't get to the entire harness.

 

Buick came out with a service bulletin after there had apparently been some problems with the bell of the larger four note horns wearing through the insulation on the positive battery cable and causing some damage.  They suggested that the positive battery cable be run between the battery and the hold down bolt on the back of the battery tray.  All this did was keep the positive cable from coming into contact with the horn bell.  Still might be a good practice just to get it out of the way.

 

Damn … we have folks who know stuff.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...