1928 526 Sedan

Guest mkhewitt

Guest mkhewitt
My father left me his 1928 Packard in his will. He loved the car, and loved to take it to shows. I would love to keep it, however, I'm a very small woman and literally can't stop it once it's driving, due to the cable breaks. I don't want it to rot in storage. It is in it's original condition, my father replaced the roof though, with another leather roof. It runs in great condition.

536520c1-a093-487e-b56a-d26a405bb5d2.jpg

download2.png

download3.png

download9.png

Please do not panic.  Your brakes can be fixed.  Years ago I experienced  one of these that someone got for the wheels and tyres, sold the radiator core, cut the headlights on their bar taking pieces where it mounted from the front fenders.  We towed it here on the end of a chain, had had to return the bolt-on wire wheels, for the "enthusiast" to use the rims to build wheels for a Rolls Royce.  He destroyed a good car . I steered it as it was towed about 40 miles, and I did the braking for it AND the tow vehicle , as was the best practice them.  The Packard rolled and braked beautifully , steered easily and precisely, and the brakes were excellent.   It can all be fixed on yours. Your dad wanted you to have it.  Do not panic.  People will help you to fix the brakes. There is a very good set of brake drums here if yours are worn.   You will not get a better hobby car for children of your own.  The worst defect is the wrong modern radiator core.  I have a perfect original radiator from another source with the very distinctive core pattern, which will fit in the shell in place of the modern one that looks bad..

If you promise to keep the care and use it for your family, and eventually leave it to one of your children,  I will give you that to help you and freight it to you at know cost.  Ask on this forum for help of someone in your neighbourhood who might show and assist you to put the car right.  And some day you will find the opportunity to help someone in some way , that needs, and deserves, and appreciates what you can do to help them. 

Favours need to be passed around.

• 8 months later...
Guest mkhewitt

Does anyone know of any mechanics in the North East Ohio area who would be willing and able to service a Packard? I just want to get it checked out since it's been in storage for a while. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

• 3 months later...
Guest mkhewitt

Ok, the car is running and the appraisal is done. I know it's taken a while, and I appreciate everyone's patience. With the appraisal, I am listing this car for sale at $25,000. Please send me a msg here if you are interested.

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...