Jump to content

'41 Buick, Material underneath Front Seat

Recommended Posts

Vehicle: 1941 Buick Roadmaster 4-door sedan


I have been busy rewiring my interior lights and installing seat belts. In the process my front seat cushion underlayment (best term I can come up with) has suffered a few more breaks.

This is a cardboard-like material that lies directly under the front seat, nestled within the lower portion of the seat frame.

I would like to make a replacement piece but I have no idea what this is made of or what might be a suitable substitute.


Does anyone know what this is and what I should use to make a replacement piece?  It looks a bit like a fibrous cardboard that is solid and crumbles and

breaks easily. I have included a couple of photos.





Under Front Seat 02.JPG




Under Front Seat 01.JPGI


Link to post
Share on other sites


Could you use a sheet of "Masonite" ?

We call it "Pig Board" out west, and you nail the perforated version on the garage wall and use special hangers to mount your tools.

Ooops, somehow that does not sound right.......................


Oh well you know what I mean.


Mike in colorado

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having the trunk re-lined in my '41 Cadillac and the upholsterer is using something he calls "black board" which is a stiff cardboard designed just for this purpose. It's coated to make it at least a little moisture resistant and if I had to guess, I'd say it's about 1/8 inch thick, maybe less. It is, as the name implies, black. I've never seen anything like what you're got in your Buick, but it looks a bit thinner. I bet the actual material isn't critical, as long as it allows airflow under the seat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies! I know a local upholster and I will check to see if he has this.

I am familiar with Masonite but this stuff is not as stiff or hard as that is. I suspect the panel board will be the way to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Panel board or cowl board. The same stuff (without the holes) is used for the front kick panels. It comes in different colors.If your upholsterer does not have any, you can order it from Restoration Specialites and Supply in Windber, PA. I suspect the holes are to allow the heat to come up from the under-seat heater, which I assume this car has? Otherwise, there wouldn't be any need for the holes.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...