Completed Pics 900 hour Resto 66 GS

JZRIV

On the smaller parts I didn't use primer. The factory did not use primer either. Its not necessary especially if the part is media blasted and prepped properly. The inner fenders, rad support and frame were shot with an epoxy primer.  I finish painted the frame with 7777 also. Epoxy primer is extremely tough and durable and seals the metal surface. It is not required however IMO due to high quality top coat chassis finishes available today

I used it on the frame and all suspension/chassis parts on a previous 67 restoration I had for 17 years and it held up well ona  car driven many thousands of miles. Thats why I chose it on this car. The nice thing about 7777 is its easily touched up and very available at most Walmarts.

Having said that If a car is going to be driven a lot in various weather conditions, there are superior chassis coatings that should be used instead of rattle can paint. Some folks go the powder coating route but my "personal" opinion is its way over used. Its expensive and in most cases the vehicle never sees enough road time in harsh weather conditions to get the benefit of the rugged PC finish.

If you are a newer ROA member, there is an 8 part series on the 66 restoration available on the website. There is a lot of references to various finishes I used. As I have said before, my choices for finishes are my personal choice and certainly not meant to indicate there aren't other suitable options.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

8 hours ago, rocky5517 said:

Very cool! I love the engine compartment. What color did you paint the inner fender wells, and did you use a rattle can?

Sam,

Yep rattle cans. I am too lazy to mix up paint and use my paint gun then have to clean it. LOL

I'm not thrilled with Rustoleum's quality as far as consistency expelling paint from can. I get one now and then that doesn't spray just right and its not the nozzle. I don't know if its the propellant or what but when it happens I grab another can rather than risk messing up a job. 

On September 5, 2016 at 8:34 AM, JZRIV said:

I'm not thrilled with Rustoleum's quality as far as consistency expelling paint from can. I get one now and then that doesn't spray just right and its not the nozzle. I don't know if its the propellant or what but when it happens I grab another can rather than risk messing up a job. 

I had a can of Rustoleum primer slowly stop spraying yesterday with half the can still full.  New nozzle did nothing.  I put the can in hot water.  Sprayed like a champ after that.

1 minute ago, RoadShark said:

I had a can of Rustoleum primer slowly stop spraying yesterday with half the can still full.  New nozzle did nothing.  I put the can in hot water.  Sprayed like a champ after that.

Yea that works sometimes. I also use an unnamed method of warming the can to raise pressure. That's why I think its a propellant problem. Sometimes I'll warm the can even when its not having a problem. Just sprays better with a little more pressure.

Oh, my!.... Breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL Jason. From the color to the detail.  I've always loved green on Buicks (my first '54 was Baffin Green Iridescent) and this green I think is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Congrats on a beautiful job? 

My thoughts on the door guards are that as one's eyes are traveling down the sleek and smooth side of a car such as this and encounter a vertical chrome strip for that split second... well it just ruins the whole moment;) and once they are on you certainly don't want to chance chipping the paint to remove them.  

Hope you will be posting more pictures here and don't forget to add a couple up in the Riviera photo thread.