Wiscconsin

1950 Buick, won't turn over

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. A little more backgound information would certainly help people give you some better advice. What has happened since the last time you were able to start the car? If it was running and you changed the battery and now it won't run, then retracing your steps of installing the battery might help. If it has been inoperable for some period of time, some other things might need to be checked. Please give us some more background information. 

I once had a problem with a 1954 Buick that ended up being a broken neutral safety switch. Repairing the neutral safety switch was a quick easy fix on that car but it did take a little bit of time to figure out what the problem was.

car has been starting lately - month ago,   just put in new battery, lights work, now it won't even try to  turn over, connections were clean seem okay.  ???

Id need to look at my wire diagram manual to see what type of starter relay it uses, where it is, like on the starter or fenderwell, before I could tell you what to test with a voltmeter or test light. 

and like said above, a neutral switch if it is an automatic trans.

Let me know if you need the diagram.  I would look for my book for scan to post here

this car is a friend, he does not have internet, I'm trying to help him,,   the car is at his house.  I don't where the starter relay is located, I believe it's on the starter??  He has sold his home and has to move the car, the battery seems to be fully charged but still does nothing when you turn the key,  the car has been started about a month ago, this seems to be a new issue......

We appreciate your assistance and help

JIm

(Sigh) Insufficient data---do try to be a bit more communicative.

Any sound whatsoever when starter engaged (don't know Buick--ign key start?)

After dark, turn lights on, hit starter--lights dim?? go out?? no change??

After two-three attempts to engage starter, any warmth in visible connections, in relay/solenoid whatever on top of starter, starter case itself over field coils, starter end plate? Any hot electrical odor?

Car has been starting lately--how regularly?? every day? once week? once month? Daily driver?? Started, run around once a month to keep seals alive??

Month ago, just put in new battery--you mean put in new battery, then sat unstarted/unused for month, now wont't engage starter?

Have you pulled plugs, tried to rotate by hand, to see in starter bendix locked in flywheel??

The more detailed info re' past performance, recent history, what you've tried, the easier to suggest possible fixes...

Great questions  - this is a friends car,

No sound,  key start

Lights appear to be bright

I will check on other questions

Car was started about a month ago, battery seemed low so he bought a new one and installed it....terminal connection were cleaned at that time.  I Believe this battery has not started the car since being installed

Plugs have not been pulled,  trying to rotate not yet...

JTM: My apologies--your post came on while I was typing...if car has to be moved quickly/immediately, simply tow it to some near place, fiddle with it at leisure. Check MoTor for towing inst if automatic. OOPS--is that the buck-toothed Buick?? Not an easy rig to tow---Pus by hand, with friends, to close friend/neighbor??

Otherwise need for more data applies. With sympathy,  Bud

If I recall rightly, 1950 Buick had the starter wired to the gas pedal, you push the gas pedal to the floor to start? There is a vacuum switch on the carb to cut out the starter if the engine is running? Could be the problem.

I would try hot wiring it and see if I can get it to turn over. Maybe get it to start and move, or at least figure out if it is the starter, wiring, or what.

JTM: "Lights appear to be bright" doesn't answer lights question--

No change=no current draw

some dimming=current stopped/blocked somewhere in starting system

major dimming/lights out=battery failure (enough to power lights, not enough for starter, or MAJOR elec/mech block==release key immediately or something'll burn out that'll probably be expen$ive...

Hot wiring direct to starter sounds like good idea, subject to any possible Buick idiosyncrasies that might prohibit..

NOTE: My sense from your posts is that neither you nor your friend're experienced in these systems, or most of these "shade-tree mechanic" basic checks would've been done; if so, try to find someone who is to guide you, as it's easy to burn out elec parts...

Sorry my friend just called .....he failed to put the car in park.  Old age is setting in.....several day of worry.

Thanks for everyone's help.....

Lots of concerns for nothing.

Jim

• Like 1

Years ago, while at work, I got a frantic call from my wife, before cell phones, she had to run into the house. She said our '67 Skylark convertible wouldn't start. I told her to go out and put the lever in park. She waited all evening for me to get home from the second shift to ask me how I knew that. I told her "Male Mystique".

Bernie