'36 Buick Model 46 Series 40 Pit Falls

Guest Carlos-WI

Guest Carlos-WI

Good Afternoon Gents,

I'm new here and considering the purchase of at '36 Buick Model 46 and was hoping I might get some advise from those of you more experienced with this automobile.  It's a numbers matching car restored about 12 years ago.  It runs, drives (albeit slowly) and stops well.  If I buy it, this by far is the oldest car I would own.  I've restored in the past an old '60 Austin Healey 3000 which was my first attempt at an old car.  This will be my second.  So I guess what I'm looking for is advise or suggestions anyone might have on what to look for and what to avoid on the '36.  Any suggestion for performance improvements would also be welcomed.  I don't need it to be a race car or hot rod, but I would like a strong, reliable original equipment or period correct modifications that might improve handling or drive ability and reliability.  

Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,

Carlos

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Probably the most common upgrade for a 1936 Buick Special would be to change the rear end gears to those from a Buick Century.  This would increase the top end speed of the car. Other than that, a 1936 Buick Special should be able to keep up with traffic well and be enjoyed without any modifications. If there is anything that is not working as original, simply repairing it to the original condition should provide you with a car that you can enjoy.

I would also welcome you to consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club. The magazine would be helpful to anyone with a 1936 Buick. The website can be found at http://www.3638buickclub.org/.   

Drive train is bulletproof, but check for overheating. Some engines will overheat at freeway speeds, but are OK around town, and of course, parade speeds can be tough, too. Rust in rear of the trunk. Leaking torque tube. I'm sure other posters can add to the list.

'36 Specials aren't sports cars, but move pretty good for a mid-30's assembly-line product. A higher rear-end ratio will make freeway driving less exciting, but take away some low-end grunt. It's possible to add an overdrive unit, too, which offers the best of both worlds. Check recent threads on this topic. Some people (me included) like electronic ignition and radial tires, although you'll find detractors of both modifications. The motor's strong, so if your budget is, too, you can increase compression, get one of the 40-41 dual carb setups, etc. Optimize the electrics and brakes; both are more than satisfactory if in good condition.

Please post pics when you buy the car!

There is no such thing as "matching numbers" for a 1936 Buick. For Buick the chassis/frame number and engine number did not match until late 1950's. Sean1997 has a lot of information on Buick numbers

There is lots and lots of structural wood in a 1936 Buick. The condition of the wood should be your number one concern. The sheet metal is tacked to the wood frame, from the cowl to the rear of the car. This includes doors, floors, roof, door hinges, etc. If the wood is loose or rotted, find yourself another car or learn carpentry skills or be ready to hire a very good wood worker who also has patience with sheet metal, and get ready to pay him or her a lot of money.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

P.S.: No, there are no wood "kits" for Buicks. You have to make your own, using the existing wood as a pattern, or else find a friend who is willing to let you take his car apart to make patterns.

Edited by Pete Phillips
afterthought (see edit history)

Guest Carlos-WI

Thank you to those who've responded thus far.  I greatly appreciate all of so willing to share your knowledge of these cars.  I have to admit, jumping into a care nearly twice my age is a little daunting.  Can you tell me have any of you encountered issues finding parts for these cars.  My gut tells me no base on some testing.  Based on my Healey restoration, I've tried to track down some similar parts for the Buick and so far haven't had much issues.  Just wondering if there are items that are made of "unobtainium".  Again, thanks for your insights.

Cheers,

Carlos

There are several vendors who supply quite a few parts for these cars. Two that immediately come to mind are:

http://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/index.php

There are also a few people in the 36-38 Buick Club who are good sources for parts. The best source among those members of the 36-38 Buick Club for otherwise rare parts for these cars is probably Dave Tacheny. He has many parts cars and has reasonable prices.