dalef62

1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Pretty small detail to see in the photo. I don't think my FOR has the spring blocks anymore.

Looking good. The powder coating looks real nice, it makes me want to learn how. I briefly looked into  it a few years ago and thought of making an oven out of fire bricks so it could be disassembled and stacked on a shelf when not needed.

Jim,

Here are a few detailed pictures of the spring blocks.  In the first picture you can see the spring mount unit with the block for the spring block tab towards the center.  The second picture shows the notch in the spring mount shock mount, also towards the center of the vehicle.  The third and forth are before and after paint, I didn't remove the shock mounts and the last picture is Alan's with the spring mounts installed correctly.  The last picture is also of mine before major teardown.

2009-05-04 04.31.53.jpg

2009-05-04 04.31.32.jpg

2017-03-03 02.02.58.jpg

2017-03-06 03.38.29.jpg

misc 078.JPG

2008-10-23 23.09.45.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

More parts fresh out of the powder coat oven!  Still hot!  First picture is the clutch and brake pedal arms and mount, second picture is the brake and clutch linkage, and the third picture is the bed latch pin brackets. 

I'm still waiting on the brake parts so I can get the brakes all buttoned up and the chassis back on the ground.  Ted is probably still digging out from all the snow last week!

2017-03-20 00.58.40.jpg

2017-03-20 01.00.23.jpg

2017-03-20 01.00.42.jpg

I started working on the body as I wait for the brake parts.  First thing I wanted to do was work on the grill area, there were several areas where the grill was cracked and waving in the breeze.  The mig welder made short work of the cracks along with some grinding.  Some dollie work to all the dents and bent areas and the grill area looks pretty good already. 

Next project on the body is either the floor area or the sides?  And hopefully the brake parts will make it from the snowy east coast so I can finish up the chassis.  Choices, choices...

2017-03-20 22.48.57.jpg

2017-03-20 22.49.07.jpg

Yesterday was filled with stripping the old wiring harness from the body and removing bolts and clips and such.  It is now ready for a major overhaul. 

And look what came in the mail yesterday, the brake parts and mounts.  Unfortunately, some parts were not in the box that I ordered so a call was placed to the supplier, phone tag was the name of the game last night.  I was missing the master cylinder, one wheel cylinder and 4 brake springs.  Hopefully we can get that corrected and get the needed parts. 

The weather is to start warming up over the next few days so I hope to get a lot done to the body and chassis soon. 

2017-03-22 03.18.19.jpg

2017-03-22 03.18.30.jpg

2017-03-22 03.20.14.jpg

2017-03-22 23.52.25.jpg

Last night I got the parts that were missing in the first order so I am back at the brakes again.  I installed all the springs, all 4 or them and the emergency brake levers in the rear.  Then I installed the rear brake drums and adjusted the rear shoes.  Next will be the front drums, but I will wait till after lunch to grease the wheel bearing and install them.  Might have it on its wheels this afternoon, even if they are junk wheels and tires.  Might have it on the road soon???:D:P:unsure:

2017-03-29 19.48.14.jpg

2017-03-29 19.48.39.jpg

2017-03-29 21.38.48.jpg

2017-03-29 21.39.04.jpg

Rubber hits the road!!!  Well... garage floor.  Got all the drums on and adjusted and threw some old used wheels and tires on it and it is now on the ground for the first time since last summer.  Making progress.  Hope to have it on the road soon.:lol:

2017-03-30 02.19.15.jpg

2017-03-30 02.20.32.jpg

2017-03-30 02.20.48.jpg

2017-03-30 02.21.09.jpg

2017-03-30 02.21.27.jpg

April Fools!!!  I wish it was that far along!!!!  

Oh shoot, Dale, you had me on that body being painted. As quickly as you have been getting the chassis done, I had no problem believing you had gotten around to painting the body. 

Chassis looks great. Those smoothly rounded drums are pretty slick. Did the Crosley cars use the same drums?

Paul, the front drums are the same on the 1950-1952 Crosley cars, the rears are similar. 

I need to work faster at times, some times I sit back and think of what I should be doing instead of doing it.  That Farm O Road that is painted is my brother in laws, which I did about 3 years ago.

Yep should have recognized it. If Big Al had been supervising I would have.

Only 4/1 joke I fell for this year.

On 4/4/2017 at 1:35 PM, dalef62 said:

I need to work faster at times, some times I sit back and think of what I should be doing instead of doing it. 

Dale, you are not the only one, I do the same thing........way too much!:)

A lot of times I over analyze something, spending more time thinking about how to do it than it would take to just go ahead and get it done. Maybe I'm just a procrastinator at heart. 

John,

I will be making the wiring harness for this.  There is not that many wires in the harness and I have made several before for the Crosleys, including my brother in laws FOR a few days before he took it to the national Crosley meet a few years ago.  I do plan on using the cloth covered wire for this, all the other ones have been with the modern plastic coated wire.

There is a gentleman in the club that makes wiring harnesses for the FOR but at $550.00 I will make my own.

Starting to work on the body by clearing out the passenger area, removing the seat braces and such.  It really is amazing that most of the bolts once loosened turn right out.  I have a couple nut/bolts that are rusted enough that I can't get a socket/wrench on them and will probably need a little heat to loosen them.  The next thing to decide is whether I want to replace the entire floor area or just sections of it???:unsure:  I replace the entire floor on my brother in laws FOR and it wasn't that hard, with the exception I had to add some to the 4'X3' sheet of metal to make it big enough.

Also a couple of pictures of the sides, the drivers side is good with one small hole at the front.  The passenger side will get replaced as it is pretty rough.  And one hole on the lower cowl panel on the passenger side.

Well back to work!:) 

2017-04-06 01.21.15.jpg

2017-04-06 01.21.27.jpg

2017-04-06 01.56.00.jpg

2017-04-06 01.56.15.jpg

Taking some time off the FOR to sell my dads collection of cars.  He has decided it is time to let his collection loose and let others enjoy the hobby.  I have been quite busy showing and moving cars the last month.  Several cars have sold but have lots to go.  If you are interested, check out the buy/sell forum "Lifetime car collection for sale (pictures posted)" and buy a car. 

I've been following along on the car sales Dale. I know that's hard work!

I love the Ambassador, but like your dad I need to thin the herd too, not get more. :)

I haven't posted a report on the FOR in quite some time so I thought I would give a quick update.  Still no work done on the FOR as this year has been busy selling my dads car collection.  Had 17 cars to sell and now have 6 cars left.  I have bought his 1929 Hupmobile and I will be doing a few things to it to get it back on the road this winter, I hope.  I have been busy repairing crash damage on two of my vehicles, in June, my Thunderbird :angry: was hit in the front by a driver that cut the corner short while turning and didn't see me.  Then in September, just 4 months after getting a 2014 Ram Pickup a guy rear ended me at a traffic light, he didn't see my BIG Blue Ram truck??:huh:  Both accidents were not my fault, and repairs are still ongoing on the Thunderbird, after buying a complete car for parts, and gathering NOS parts online.  The Ram is repaired and looking good again.  Thanks to a Crosley Member I also got the "Crosley" license plate frame replaced (free):) that was damaged in the Ram accident!!  Car guys are awesome.  The FOR body has been taken off the cart and stored in my back room like a crate of potatoes...   LOL  I hope to get to it soon as I want to take it to the nation Crosley meet in July.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  Here is hoping for a better 2018!!!!!!!!!

hupmobile.jpg

thunderbird.jpg

ram before.jpg

ram after.jpg

• Like 1

Dale, sorry to hear about your accident issues. The Huppmobile looks great, will we be seeing a thread started on it?

Merry Christmas!

Glad to see you are back posting (sort of) on the FOR.  Been missing your posts and progress and such an interesting vehicle.