dalef62

1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

It now has a front bumper.  

Now on to the windshield frame, priming, painting and installing.

IMG_20191113_152627.jpg

IMG_20191114_084150.jpg

• Like 5

Primered the windshield frame for the FOR this morning.  Will need a little sanding and then paint.

IMG_20191116_105340.jpg

• Like 2

WOW! What a fabulous "trans FOR mation"....

FOR.jpg

FOR2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes it does look a little better...

Thanks 😊

While I wait on the windshield for the FOR, I can get some work done on the Hupmobile.  At Hershey 2018 I bought some stainless wire cover for the parking lights and headlights and now I have a chance to get them in.  One done, three to go.  Looks much better than the rubber hose that was there before.

I also carried out the correct engine for the 1950 Crosley Convertible that was in the car when I got it, but the compression was super low on all cylinders.  When I pulled it and put it on the shelf I loaded the cylinders with oil and kerosene.  Well it must have helped as now the compression is up and it actually runs and sounds good.  Now to clean it up and paint it.

Pictures show it after a few applications of stripper and cleaning.

IMG_20191119_161604.jpg

IMG_20191119_161612.jpg

IMG_20191119_161536.jpg

IMG_20191119_161550.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 2:59 PM, dalef62 said:

Yes it does look a little better...

Thanks 😊

I didn’t notice any difference!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Have to say, it’s a beautiful job. One thing I noticed is the hood latch on both the before and after versions is really high tech isn’t it? Ah, simplicity at its best. 

• Haha 2

Funny thing on the hood latch in the before picture.  A friend of mine picked the car up in South Carolina and put it in the back of his pickup truck to bring it to PA. He had nice weather from SC to PA, but it was late on a Wednesday evening when he got here and it was to rain over night and he was going to deliver it to me in the morning.  He had the "hood" in the back seat of his truck as he didn't want to loose it while traveling.  I asked him why he didn't just put a strap on it to hold it on and he said he didn't want to damage the paint!  I got the hood out and ratchet strapped it down.

• Haha 2

Dale, the Crosley looks great! I especially like the picture six posts above (the 'after' picture) - the angle you took the picture from gives it a purposeful & powerful look.

• Like 1

All of the stainless wire covers are now on the Hupmobile.  Not much change, but it is those little things that makes it look better.

IMG_20191121_112206.jpg

IMG_20191121_112228.jpg

IMG_20191121_112242.jpg

• Like 4

I got some paint on the engine for the convertible today.  It will not be a show car so detail is not as important on this engine.

Once I get it painted I will make a stand for it till I am ready to install it in the car.

IMG_20191123_105101.jpg

• Like 2

More Crosley engine work yesterday and today.  Since I got the convertible engine running and ready I decided to get another engine from my stash of engines.  It had some stuck rings.  Tore it apart and freed up the rings and put it back together.  It now runs and has good compression.

With that engine running I drug out another engine, a tin block Cobra.  With a little work it was running and sounds good.  Compression is good also.

So now I have engines ready for the 1950 convertible, the 1951 sedan delivery, and the 1946 sedan, cow car, ( Cobra).  

Today I drug another engine out and it was locked up, pulled the pan and it is rusted up too bad, junk!  So drug another engine out and it has low compression in cylinders 2 and 3.  It will need tore down to see what is wrong with the exhaust valves in those two cylinders.

Lots of engine work.  I could probably build up 6-7 more engines with spare parts laying around.

IMG_20191126_165301.jpg

IMG_20191126_165316.jpg

• Like 1

So Dale, I'm curious - can you just grab one of those Crosley engines and carry it from place to place? I know they are small, but don't have a feel for how much they weigh.

Yes, I just grab an engine and carry it if I am feeling strong that day, other days I drag it.  The complete engine with accessories weighs 156 pounds according to the manual.  My back says I shouldn't be lifting that much weight 😅😫😬.

My shop looks like a Crosley engine factory.  I now have 6 + engines that I either have running and ready to paint, or tore down for repairs, or totally junk.  

In getting some of my spare engines running I have found one crankcase with strapped mains, which is highly desirable.  I also have found 2 cast steel crankshafts, more desirable parts.  

I hope within the next few days to have the strapped main engine up and running.  I still have a few engines in the back room that might run without much work.

IMG_20191130_090520.jpg

IMG_20191130_090657.jpg

• Like 1