dalef62

1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Just a quick picture of the wooden dash plaques for the show on Memorial Day.

Then it was on to filling the transmission, transfer case, and differential with grease.  Then the top could be installed on the transmission after making a gasket.  So much easier filling the units while the body is off.

IMG_20190521_104819.jpg

IMG_20190521_153957.jpg

• Like 1

Then it was on to installing the u-joints in the freshly painted driveshaft and installing it on the chassis.  Easy, right???  Nope, u-joints went in as planned but when I bolted it to the transfer case and then lifted it to the rear end and...  hummmm  1" too short???????  What's wrong?  Did it shrink?  Is the slip joint stuck?  Nope, after some measurements and calls to my brother in law to measure his FOR rear axle placement, it was determined that the leaf springs were installed backwards, rear end was 1" further back than it should be.  Not to hard to fix all the bolts are clean and everything went well and now the driveshaft fits and the drive line is complete. 

Just about ready for the body to be put on.

IMG_20190521_170627.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today I worked on finishing up what needed to be done on the chassis to prepare it for the body.  I redid the front brake line to the passenger side and then installed all the webbing material to the chassis where the body will sit.  Then it was time to mount the body back on the chassis.

I had to get my brother in law and my dad to assist in this as I didn't think I could do it all myself.  

All went well and the body now sits on the chassis and I hope to not have to take it back off again!  Does it look any different from the last picture?

Progress is being made!!!!

2007-01-01 12.00.22.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.48.jpg

2007-01-01 12.01.03.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.11.jpg

2007-09-21 23.21.15.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Good shot with dash not installed, really shows how far back the engine sits. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dalef62 said:

Does it look any different from the last picture?

Ya know I think I can spot a bit of improvement :lol:

Nice work Dale!

And the work continues...  Today I started on the steering column, wire brushing and cleaning.  I also primed it and a few other parts laying around.  The draw bar will probably not be used but I had it sandblasted with the other parts a few years ago and never primed it, so today was the day.  That bar is 3/4" thick!

IMG_20190523_155827.jpg

IMG_20190523_143939.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Continued...

Steering column is primed and tomorrow I can sand it.

IMG_20190523_155832.jpg

IMG_20190523_155820.jpg

• Like 1

Today I sanded the steering column and also prepped the headlight buckets and a few other little things for paint.  The headlight buckets were in remarkable condition, I could have used them just the way they were.  Then before lunch I sprayed a quick coat of gloss black paint on them.  Once they dry I can then install the steering column in the FOR and make it easier to move around.

IMG_20190524_114846.jpg

IMG_20190524_114905.jpg

• Like 2

Alot can happen in one week.  Last week this time I had a bunch of parts scattered around, today I have the beginnings of a vehicle.  It is really coming together nicely.  Today I mounted the steering column and hooked up the steering.  Now I can steer it without having to turn the tires by hand!  The steering wheel is temporary. Next will be to put the steering column brace on.

IMG_20190525_110026.jpg

• Like 3

You are to the point that I always consider the really enjoyable part of restoring a car - bolting back all the restored parts. (But with that comes some trepidation, at least for me, that a perfect refinished part may get damaged during the reinstall.)

• Like 1

Today we did the benefit car cruise for ALS.  As usual I didn't get a chance to look at the cars till a lot had left.  Had over 80 cars and made a lot of money for ALS. That previous owner of the Dairy Queen has ALS.  It was a beautiful day for a car cruise!

IMG_20190527_161220.jpg

I started working on the front bumper today.  Someone had cut off the brackets and then welded in two blocks on the inside.  Then they drilled some extra holes in it and mounted it on the back of the FOR.  Those two blocks had to come off as they are in the road for the brackets.  They didn't give up easy!  About two hours of cutting, grinding, and beating them and they finally submitted.  Now to weld in all the unwanted holes and weld throughs.  

IMG_20190529_101635.jpg

IMG_20190529_101647.jpg

• Like 1

I got some more work done today on the FOR.  Was able to weld in all the unwanted holes in the bumper and grind everything smooth.  Then I straightened out some of the dents to get it looking pretty good.  Now to get the brackets welded on and primer and body work it.

Also mounted one of the new tires and put it on the car where the tire was that went flat faster than I could put air in it.

I can't believe how green this camera on my phone makes the paint look.  It is not that bright of a green.

IMG_20190529_144322.jpg

IMG_20190529_144308.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Little steps today.  I mounted all the linkage for the throttle on the dash, with the exception of the hand throttle handle, and then I mounted the heat shield for the muffler.

IMG_20190530_145212.jpg

IMG_20190530_145225.jpg

• Like 1

Should that rear axle be rotated so the pinion is parallel to the gearbox output shaft? As it is, the universals will be rotating in an ellipse and vibrate, not to mention wear out prematurely.

Spinneyhill,

Unfortunately there is no adjustment on the angle of the rear end on the FOR.  For the speeds that they travel and the miles that are put on them I guess Powell Crosley didn't care?  On another note, the transfer case and the pinion are not on the same center line on the car looking down on it either..  Here is a picture of my brother in laws FOR with the same angles. 

misc 007.JPG

misc 078.JPG

Today's projects include the gas tank, windshield frame, seat brace and wheel covers.

The gas tank is much worse than I thought, having severe rust through just above the seam on the one side and pinholes above the seam on the other side.  The filler neck is also loose, easy fix.

The windshield frame will need a new piece for the one side, which is available.

The seat brace is just getting a little filler as are the wheel covers after a wire brushing and some massaging with a hammer.

IMG_20190530_145114.jpg

IMG_20190531_105004.jpg

Are those wheel covers marked with a logo or are they just smooth moon style caps?

Keiser,

They are just smooth moon style caps.  Actually they are the Crosley wheel cover bases without the chrome skin with the "Crosley" logo on them.  They will be painted green like the rest of the FOR.  I have seen some with a star on them in white.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just a little update on the FOR.  I mounted the steering column support today.  One more step in the right direction.  Was also at my brother in laws over the weekend to get some dimensions and such from his FOR.  Now I can make the brackets for the front bumper, make the brackets for the emergency brake handle, make the linkage for the transmission (after I change the clutch fork to an offset one), and several other things that I wasn't quite sure of.

Will be taking a short break from the FOR to work on painting a customers hood on her truck.  Then it will be time for vacation!  Our plans have changed from going to Switzerland to going to Scotland and Ireland as our daughter and son in law are now in Scotland.

IMG_20190603_102216.jpg

49 minutes ago, dalef62 said:

Our plans have changed from going to Switzerland to going to Scotland and Ireland ...

So what a deception! You will not visit me...

Roger,

I was so looking forward to meeting you and that all changed!  I won't even get to see your new green Cadillac.

No problem Dale! By the way, the green Cad is in transit, I have no idea when it will arrive. Most probably not before July.

Enjoy your holiday!

Posted (edited)

Today must have been "Paint Day" as I got two jobs wrapped up that needed painted.  First was a customers truck hood, She got a hi-rise hood and wanted it painted to match her truck, so I got that finished today.  And while I was at it, I had a little boo-boo on my truck that I needed repaired so I worked it out yesterday and today.  I was able to touch up my truck with blue, switch over to orange and then switch to clear and by lunchtime both repairs were done!   Now tomorrow, if I can get some help I will mount the hood on the truck and it will be ready for the customer!

IMG_20190607_143211.jpg

IMG_20190607_115137.jpg

Posted (edited)

Once I had the painting done, I moved on to the FOR.  I was able to mount 2 more tires on the powder coated wheels.  One to go, well really 4 to go, two more regular tires and two agricultural tires.  It is looking pretty good!

IMG_20190607_143142.jpg

IMG_20190607_143128.jpg

IMG_20190607_143155.jpg

• Like 1