1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Today I finished up with the engine rebuilds.  Four engines now are ready to go.  One COBRA engine and three CIBA's.  All the oil spills are cleaned up also and now on to the next project.

I hope to get the windshield for the FOR next week.

IMG_20191205_164006.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, dalef62 said:

I also have found 2 cast steel crankshafts, more desirable parts.  

Dale, what material are the 'less desirable' crankshafts made of? 

Do you have any pictures of the bottom end of a COBRA block? I always wondered how the main bearing caps/webs were handled on the COBRA engines. 

The line-up of Crosley engines is a cool pic! 😊

The less desirable cranks were cast iron and not as thick counter balances.  

The crankcase for the tin block are basically the same as the cast iron block.  When Crosley started having problems with the tin block they replaced them with cast iron blocks, using the same crankcase, crank, pistons intake and exhaust.  They might have even used the original cam, valves and lifters knowing Powell Crosley.  

IMG_20191206_104515.jpg

IMG_20191206_104457.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks Dale for the education and pics. I understand now.........did not realize that the block (with cylinders and head surface) and the crankcase were separate pieces on both the COBRA and CIBA engines. 

And the crankcase pic you posted shows a good shot of the cam driveshaft. That is such a simple and unique solution to drive an overhead camshaft. 

Edited by r1lark (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Still no windshield for the FOR but I am up to 6 running Crosley engines and one more about to be fired up.  I figure I can put at least three more engines together and have them running if I so desire.

Merry Crosley Christmas to all, and a very happy Huppy new year!

Fargoguy, I am the keeper of the FarmOroad registry for the Crosley Auto Club, I have FR-150 in Calgary, AB Canada, is that you or has it changed hands?

If it has changed hands could you PM me your name and city so I can update my records.

I use to sell the decals, I sold the last pair a few months ago. I think Jeff Ackerman has them. He found a cheaper supplier so I decided not to get anymore made. Wasn't doing it as a big money maker, not exactly a high volume market ;-)

I do have factory pictures that show placement that I can post if you need them. I use to supply a copy of the photo with my decals, not sure if Jeff does.

Santa was good to the FOR and the Hupmobile this year.  I got the two ag tires and Santa misunderstood and got me 4 tires for the spare on the FOR, but I will use the others on the rest of the Crosley fleet.  I also got the correct tail light for the Hupmobile, the center glass should be clear but I think I can find that.

And I got some wire wheels so I can clean up the chassis on the Hupmobile.

I hope Santa was good to you and your cars.

IMG_20191227_080123.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dalef62 said:

I hope Santa was good to you and your cars.

Got a couple of sets of different types of gloves for working on the cars (totally wore out my other ones 😊), a gift certificate to Northern Tool (time for a new 90 degree die grinder), and a cool DeWalt LED light (less battery). Not cool car parts like you got Dale, but tools to help me work on them.

3 hours ago, dalef62 said:

Chistech, Yes, I saw that one.  Nice but some discrepancy on it.

There always is in most cases. I personally don’t know anything enough to tell but it makes sense,as an owner/restorer, you would. Same with my Olds. I see a ton of things on other cars that I now know, are incorrect and always take that into consideration when figuring a value. Often people see a car and think it’s worth a ton because it might be done well, but in actuality, it might be done very wrong really depreciating it’s value.

If I want to use the presents I got from Santa, I need to get the budd wheels together.  Nothing like getting all the components to finish a job to get you moving.  

I pulled an axle complete with the rotor on it from my stash so I could turn the wheel to get it true.  I clamped it in the vice and bolted the center part of the budd wheel to the hub.  Got it true and then began drilling the holes for the rivets.  Before long I had one wheel ready to clean up and powder coat.  The last picture is the second wheel and it has not been as easy as the first wheel.  It is close to being true now and tomorrow I will hopefully finish it up and be ready to powder coat and then mount the ag tires.

IMG_20191227_132344.jpg

IMG_20191227_132350.jpg

IMG_20191227_170302.jpg

IMG_20191227_170314.jpg

IMG_20191227_170317.jpg

IMG_20191227_170336.jpg

• Like 2

Roger,

Yes the centers are cast iron. I put the rivets in and then heated them to cherry red and then peened them over.  The wheel absorbed so of the heat as shown by the marks.  No welding. 

The second wheel was much tighter and I needed to heat it some to get it to slide over the center.  I started by heating it up in the oven.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 1

Today was a Hupmobile day.  I have been looking at the front suspension for a while now and wanted to clean it up some.  Today was the day to start.

Wire brushed and cleaned up the suspension on the passenger side, then a quick coat of gloss black.  Looks much better.

One picture of the drivers side so you can see the before look.

IMG_20200102_143930.jpg

IMG_20200102_143910.jpg

IMG_20200102_143918.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, I was looking at the strange brackets on the spring perches and said, "What are those for?".  Took a while for me to realize that the shocks are missing.  Hasn't had them for at least 50 years.  The back ones are present!

That will give me something to look for at Hershey this year!!

Currently at 132 confirmed with serial numbers as being unique and 7 that may be duplicates that changed hands from the 132 or real that just lost SN or I haven't been able to get them for whatever reason. Still get a few most years. A lot on my list have changed hands but show up again after a while.

Today I started working on the 1946 Crosley sedan engine swap.  I will be pulling the engine that is in it out and putting the "numbers matching" engine in.  There is not much difference between the one coming out and the one going in other than the correct numbers and the crankcase does not have a oil fill tube.  

I will try to clean up the engine compartment some, but I don't think I will paint it as I don't know what color I want the car yet.

IMG_20200110_170001.jpg

IMG_20200110_170009.jpg

IMG_20190306_151114.jpg

IMG_20190306_151144.jpg

• Like 3

Famous last words:. I am just going to pull one motor and replace it with another... 

Well, I thought once the motor was out I should clean up the engine compartment and that morphed into I think I should paint it...  That turned into there are several non-factory holes in the firewall and fenders and the battery box needs work.  We all know how it goes...

Today I filled all the unwanted holes and now it is ready for filler, sanding and priming.  

Oh what we get into...

IMG_20200117_090915.jpg

IMG_20200117_101536.jpg

• Like 2

Lots of progress today on the 1946 Crosley.  I applied a thin coat of filler on the welds and sanded everything with 320 grit.  Then a coat of primer.  Tomorrow I will sand it and clean everything up to prepare for paint.

I talked to the paint store and I can get a quart of single stage paint for $40.00.  Thought that sounded good!  So I hope by the middle of next week I will have the engine compartment ready for the correct engine.  

IMG_20200117_165857.jpg

IMG_20200117_170142.jpg

• Like 2