1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Yours looks slightly different than mine.  Looks to have gusset at the corner, and the part where the pump bolts up is notched different.  Does your engine have the oil fitting on the side of the crankcase?  That is why someone notched my bracket.  Either Crosley or fly by night mechanic... 

What # is your FOR? 

Had some extra time this afternoon to powder coat the exhaust manifold.  Another part ready to install.

IMG_20190315_165241.jpg

• Like 1

MIne is a 51 SN FR-285.

I'd have to pull some engines out to find the right one but I don't have an external oil filter if those are the fittings you are talking about.

Today I was able to put a lot of painted parts on the engine.  Got the clutch and pressure plate installed also.  Still need to get the generator and water pump checked and cleaned up then installed.  

The weather is warming up some, hope it continues so I can paint the body soon.

IMG_20190327_160633.jpg

IMG_20190327_160623.jpg

• Like 1

Today I powder coated the valve cover a nice red and slipped it on the engine.  I put the fan blades on just to see how it looks.  Now I have get the generator checked, painted and installed.

I still need to paint the CROSLEY script on the block red.

IMG_20190402_100842.jpg

IMG_20190402_100826.jpg

You can buy a basic powder coating kit from suppliers like Eastwood.  Powder coating is basically dusting, using the gun and compressed air from a compressor, a clean metallic part with powder under a electrostatic charge, then baking that part in an electric oven or under a heat light for a period of time(20 minutes at 400 degrees, usually).  I bought my kit from Eastwood and it came with the powder coating gun and several starter powder colors, I have since added many powders and I use a kitchen electric stove/oven to bake my parts in.  It works real good but I am limited on the size of parts I can do as to what will fit in the oven.  The nice part about powder coating is that when the part comes out of the oven, after it cools you can handle it and install it immediately, no waiting on paint to dry.

HotCoat Powdercoating DIY System

• Thanks 1

Today I started to work on the Hupp.  At Hershey last fall I bought new plug wires and ends and a new distributor cap as the wires were almost 50 years old.  I marked the old cap, stripped the wire cover and then sand blasted and powder coated it.  I am thinking about painting the block the proper black?  What do you think?

IMG_20190404_165417.jpg

• Like 1

You never know who might have what you need...  I was doing the spark plugs and wires and needed the crimping tool, I asked on the technical thread to get information on what I should use.  A friend came into the garage today to drop off waste oil for my furnace and noticed I was working on the Hupp.  I told him I was looking for a crimping tool and he told me that he just bought one from Summit for his car, but hadn't even used it yet.  He got it to me and I started crimping the ends on.  Works really nice!   I still have the distributor cap side of the wire ends to put ends on yet, but want to get them the correct length.

I also picked up some black engine paint and painted the head.  I will slowly turn the engine black the way it should be.  It sure makes the plug wires pop!

IMG_20190408_134902.jpg

IMG_20190408_162212.jpg

IMG_20190408_162425.jpg

• Like 1

Last Sunday we took a trip to the Meyersdale Maple festival car show with the 1977 Corvette, beautiful day and lots of cars!  A big change from last year's 25 degrees.

Finished the plug wires on the Hupp today.  Looks pretty good to me.  Now if it runs it will be even better!!  

Did some checking into the paint color for the FOR and I think I might have a match!  I will get a pint made up next week and see how close it is.  The weather has been fairly nice lately and I hope to get some painting done soon.

IMG_20190413_113152.jpg

IMG_20190407_132142.jpg

• Like 1

I spent the day working on the FOR transfer case shifter levers.  Cut, grind, file, weld, then repeat.  I have made an extra set for a friend who has a FOR with missing levers.  I still have to bend the shorter levers, grind the welds, and drill the holes in them, but they are looking good.

Also welded the emergency brake ratchet area on the handle.

IMG_20190417_103913.jpg

IMG_20190417_103927.jpg

I sure love my camera on my cell phone!  There are just some places I can't get my head into to see what is going on.  Take a picture with the cellphone and there it is!  

Changed the oil in the Hupp today and added the oil, 9 quarts, and I couldn't see the gauge on the block.  Snap a picture and bam, it is right on the full mark.  Without the camera I couldn't even read the markings!

Technology is great!!!!

I am now ready for cars shows.

IMG_20190418_152308.jpg

• Like 1

More of the same...  I had a few spots on the body that I was not happy with so I shot another coat of primer on.  Once the primer drys good, I will flip the body over and sand the bottom side and then color will be applied!

FOR!.jpg

FOR.jpg

• Like 3

Flipped Farm O Road...  Today was the day to flip the body over and sand the bottom.  There are some imperfection on the bottom but it is good enough for me.  

Stopped at the paint store and had some paint mixed up, 1 pint.  Unfortunately it was the wrong color...  Tomorrow I will try again, I think I have it figured out what went wrong.  So close...

IMG_20190425_113012.jpg

IMG_20190425_113030.jpg

IMG_20190425_161334.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I thought I had the paint taken care of but my paint store can't get the formula for the paint color I want in the brand they sell.  I can get the paint online at TCP but I am not sure of there quality or if the color is actually correct.  So the body waits...  upside-down and masked off ready for paint.

IMG_20190427_102636.jpg

I worked on the brake lines on the FOR today.  I got all the lines, master cylinder and brake and clutch levers on.  Now to find the part numbers for the brake hoses.  So much easier to do brake lines on a bare clean chassis than doing them on a rusty modern day vehicle. 

IMG_20190503_163049.jpg

IMG_20190503_163027.jpg

• Like 3

Our annual Memorial day cruise is coming up and I am making the 75+ custom wooden dash plaques.  Saturday my dad and I cut the 1"x4" x8' oak to size and tonight I routered the edges.  Next step is belt sanding them, maybe tomorrow?  I have been making these plaques for probably 15 years now so it is old hat now!

IMG_20190506_182952.jpg

I installed 3 of the 4 brake hoses yesterday.  The other front hose I have to order, as I ordered 4 hoses of the same length and the fronts are shorter.  I had one spare for my other cars that I used on one front.  

Now today the paint is supposed to be here!  I hope it is the right color... 

Stay tuned...

IMG_20190507_140055.jpg

Ok, I do have pictures of the paint in color!  Turned out great for the underside of the FOR.  I will let it sit till next week to cure and then flip it over and give the top side one last sanding and then paint will be applied.

I also got the last brake hose on and it is almost ready to put fluid in it.  Speaking of fluid Dave and Jim, and any other FOR guys, what weight gear oil should I use in the rear end, transmission and transfer case?

Dale

2007-01-01 12.00.05.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.25.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.16-1.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.38.jpg

• Like 5