1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

I use 90W in the rear and 240W in the transmission, i don't remember what I out in the transfer case but I would guess 90w. The 240W helps in shifting if you don't drive in real cold weather.

The paint looks good.

Had my FOR out for it's first drive of the year today. The F1 has been out for a couple of month but just didn't get around to pulling out the Crosley.

Some of the pictures show the color a little greener than it really is.  It is very close to the original color.

Paul,  lots of work to do yet...  But it is a lot cleaner work now.  Thanks.

Jim, I took the hotshot around the block last weekend and have had the Vette out to a show, but outside of that things are at a stand still.  Trying to get this FOR painted is taking up all my time.   So much to do and so little time.  lol

Hopefully by next weekend it will be either sitting back on the frame or very close to it.

Dale

Today I flipped the Farm O Road upright in final preparation for paint.  I just finished sanding the topside with 360 grit paper so now it is ready.  Still have to sand the hood, battery cover, and steering column support yet.  Then mask off the bottom side and it will be ready.  I can't wait!!!

IMG_20190513_130811.jpg

IMG_20190513_130748.jpg

• Like 1

I would like to get most of the chassis together before the body is on as it is much easier to work on.  Lots of little things, exhaust hangers, bleed brakes, drive shaft, fill trans, transfer case and differential with grease, install generator, install hoses, etc.  I may even put the radiator and such on before the body is dropped back on, just not sure yet.  

Just ordered new u-joints for the driveshaft and they should be here today, then I can strip the old u-joints and paint the shaft and install them.  

Today I somewhat shifted gears, started working on the wooden plaques for our clubs Memorial Day Car Cruise.  Trying something a little different this year, I have stained some of the plaques to see if they like them stained or natural.  They all will get polyurethane cleared.

Thanks for the comments and questions.

Dale  

IMG_20190517_101217.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

I had a busy weekend, our local theater that I volunteer for had a Age of Aquarius band concert on Saturday night.  Then Sunday the wife and I and some friends went to a car show that everything was free, registration, food, and fun.  And the food choices covered about 10 - 8 foot tables.  And they also had free hot dogs, hamburger, pulled pork sandwiches and pop and water outside!  Amazing!!!!

Never thought I would win a prize but I got "Spectator's Choice"  

Also saw another Hupmobile.

IMG_20190519_103953.jpg

IMG_20190519_150923_1.jpg

IMG_20190519_140125.jpg

• Like 2

When we got home from the car show I went to the shop and sprayed a coat of polyurethane on the plaques.  Back sides are now done! 

Also put the FOR body outside to keep it out of the spray mist.

IMG_20190519_153112.jpg

IMG_20190519_155308.jpg

• Like 1

Now that the paint is dry on the FOR, the process has started to get it back together.  Today I worked long and hard on the dash panel, cleaning and polishing. It was hard work but I did get it done.  I cleaned and installed the turn signal indicator.  Looks pretty good, doesn't it?  

Ok, it wasn't really that hard, but it was covered in red paint, so I had to carefully scrape the paint off it and then use buffing compound on it to shine it up.  And it WAS the first part back on the body!  A "turn" for the better!

Still getting ready for our car clubs Cruise in at our local Dairy Queen on Memorial Day to benefit ALS.  If you are near the Apollo PA Dairy Queen on Memorial Day stop in 1-5pm.  Today I sprayed the final two coats of polyurethane on the front side and now I wait for them to dry. 

IMG_20190520_155951.jpg

IMG_20190520_160001.jpg

• Like 4

This morning I worked on testing the generator and installing it, and painting the driveshaft.  I still need to install the joint between the generator and the water pump and the hoses.

IMG_20190521_104746.jpg

IMG_20190521_104803.jpg

Just a quick picture of the wooden dash plaques for the show on Memorial Day.

Then it was on to filling the transmission, transfer case, and differential with grease.  Then the top could be installed on the transmission after making a gasket.  So much easier filling the units while the body is off.

IMG_20190521_104819.jpg

IMG_20190521_153957.jpg

• Like 1

Then it was on to installing the u-joints in the freshly painted driveshaft and installing it on the chassis.  Easy, right???  Nope, u-joints went in as planned but when I bolted it to the transfer case and then lifted it to the rear end and...  hummmm  1" too short???????  What's wrong?  Did it shrink?  Is the slip joint stuck?  Nope, after some measurements and calls to my brother in law to measure his FOR rear axle placement, it was determined that the leaf springs were installed backwards, rear end was 1" further back than it should be.  Not to hard to fix all the bolts are clean and everything went well and now the driveshaft fits and the drive line is complete. 

Just about ready for the body to be put on.

IMG_20190521_170627.jpg

• Like 1

Today I worked on finishing up what needed to be done on the chassis to prepare it for the body.  I redid the front brake line to the passenger side and then installed all the webbing material to the chassis where the body will sit.  Then it was time to mount the body back on the chassis.

I had to get my brother in law and my dad to assist in this as I didn't think I could do it all myself.  

All went well and the body now sits on the chassis and I hope to not have to take it back off again!  Does it look any different from the last picture?

Progress is being made!!!!

2007-01-01 12.00.22.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.48.jpg

2007-01-01 12.01.03.jpg

2007-01-01 12.00.11.jpg

2007-09-21 23.21.15.jpg

• Like 4

And the work continues...  Today I started on the steering column, wire brushing and cleaning.  I also primed it and a few other parts laying around.  The draw bar will probably not be used but I had it sandblasted with the other parts a few years ago and never primed it, so today was the day.  That bar is 3/4" thick!

IMG_20190523_155827.jpg

IMG_20190523_143939.jpg

• Like 1

Today I sanded the steering column and also prepped the headlight buckets and a few other little things for paint.  The headlight buckets were in remarkable condition, I could have used them just the way they were.  Then before lunch I sprayed a quick coat of gloss black paint on them.  Once they dry I can then install the steering column in the FOR and make it easier to move around.

IMG_20190524_114846.jpg

IMG_20190524_114905.jpg

• Like 2

Alot can happen in one week.  Last week this time I had a bunch of parts scattered around, today I have the beginnings of a vehicle.  It is really coming together nicely.  Today I mounted the steering column and hooked up the steering.  Now I can steer it without having to turn the tires by hand!  The steering wheel is temporary. Next will be to put the steering column brace on.

IMG_20190525_110026.jpg

• Like 3

You are to the point that I always consider the really enjoyable part of restoring a car - bolting back all the restored parts. (But with that comes some trepidation, at least for me, that a perfect refinished part may get damaged during the reinstall.)

• Like 1

Today we did the benefit car cruise for ALS.  As usual I didn't get a chance to look at the cars till a lot had left.  Had over 80 cars and made a lot of money for ALS. That previous owner of the Dairy Queen has ALS.  It was a beautiful day for a car cruise!

IMG_20190527_161220.jpg

I started working on the front bumper today.  Someone had cut off the brackets and then welded in two blocks on the inside.  Then they drilled some extra holes in it and mounted it on the back of the FOR.  Those two blocks had to come off as they are in the road for the brackets.  They didn't give up easy!  About two hours of cutting, grinding, and beating them and they finally submitted.  Now to weld in all the unwanted holes and weld throughs.  

IMG_20190529_101635.jpg

IMG_20190529_101647.jpg

• Like 1

I got some more work done today on the FOR.  Was able to weld in all the unwanted holes in the bumper and grind everything smooth.  Then I straightened out some of the dents to get it looking pretty good.  Now to get the brackets welded on and primer and body work it.

Also mounted one of the new tires and put it on the car where the tire was that went flat faster than I could put air in it.

I can't believe how green this camera on my phone makes the paint look.  It is not that bright of a green.

IMG_20190529_144322.jpg

IMG_20190529_144308.jpg

• Like 2

Spinneyhill,

Unfortunately there is no adjustment on the angle of the rear end on the FOR.  For the speeds that they travel and the miles that are put on them I guess Powell Crosley didn't care?  On another note, the transfer case and the pinion are not on the same center line on the car looking down on it either..  Here is a picture of my brother in laws FOR with the same angles. 

misc 007.JPG

misc 078.JPG

Today's projects include the gas tank, windshield frame, seat brace and wheel covers.

The gas tank is much worse than I thought, having severe rust through just above the seam on the one side and pinholes above the seam on the other side.  The filler neck is also loose, easy fix.

The windshield frame will need a new piece for the one side, which is available.

The seat brace is just getting a little filler as are the wheel covers after a wire brushing and some massaging with a hammer.

IMG_20190530_145114.jpg

IMG_20190531_105004.jpg

Keiser,

They are just smooth moon style caps.  Actually they are the Crosley wheel cover bases without the chrome skin with the "Crosley" logo on them.  They will be painted green like the rest of the FOR.  I have seen some with a star on them in white.

• Thanks 1

Just a little update on the FOR.  I mounted the steering column support today.  One more step in the right direction.  Was also at my brother in laws over the weekend to get some dimensions and such from his FOR.  Now I can make the brackets for the front bumper, make the brackets for the emergency brake handle, make the linkage for the transmission (after I change the clutch fork to an offset one), and several other things that I wasn't quite sure of.

Will be taking a short break from the FOR to work on painting a customers hood on her truck.  Then it will be time for vacation!  Our plans have changed from going to Switzerland to going to Scotland and Ireland as our daughter and son in law are now in Scotland.

IMG_20190603_102216.jpg

Today must have been "Paint Day" as I got two jobs wrapped up that needed painted.  First was a customers truck hood, She got a hi-rise hood and wanted it painted to match her truck, so I got that finished today.  And while I was at it, I had a little boo-boo on my truck that I needed repaired so I worked it out yesterday and today.  I was able to touch up my truck with blue, switch over to orange and then switch to clear and by lunchtime both repairs were done!   Now tomorrow, if I can get some help I will mount the hood on the truck and it will be ready for the customer!

IMG_20190607_143211.jpg

IMG_20190607_115137.jpg

Once I had the painting done, I moved on to the FOR.  I was able to mount 2 more tires on the powder coated wheels.  One to go, well really 4 to go, two more regular tires and two agricultural tires.  It is looking pretty good!

IMG_20190607_143142.jpg

IMG_20190607_143128.jpg

IMG_20190607_143155.jpg

• Like 1