Are Messages Public?

Historically sending a PM through the profiles were not something that the general forum membership can see.  But I'm noticing in the "unread content" feed messages between two parties that really seems like it should be private.

Is the messages that are showing up in the feed or is it something else? 

thanks,  A.J.

• Like 1

John,

I don't think those are "private" messages you are seeing on the Activity Stream but they are "status updates".  When you click on a users name or avatar and go to a users profile page most users (I see some user accounts where this is not available) have a dialog box right under there photo which says

leave a message on xxxxxxx's feed

If one uses this box to communicate with another user this is not a "private" message but a "status update" message, which in turn does show in the activity stream.

So I don't think private messages are hitting the activity stream but status updates are what is showing on the activity stream.

Confusing I know but I think that might be what is happening.

Bob

20 hours ago, vwlfan said:

I don't think those are "private" messages you are seeing on the Activity Stream but they are "status updates". 

I don't know, VW.  A month ago I happened to see

one side of a discussion, probably private, where

one user was defending his posts to a moderator.

(That user was subsequently given a temporary ban

from the forum for some unknown reason.)

I'm sure that wasn't intended for public consumption.

Peter G. must be on vacation.  Questions like this have received no answers.

So I went to your profile John and the only communication option I see is message.   I have definitely seen conversations in the "unread content"  that should have remained private.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that anything you write on a computer should be done with the thought that it could be on a billboard somewhere.  It is funny how private things accidentally become public.

alsancle,

Hopefully Peter will chime in here soon. I don't know why John's profile does not have the option, but most profiles have a "Status Update" option. If you check out a few other profiles, you will see that communication option. The "Status Update" is not private. It is a publicly visibile communication method. If I knew how to eliminate that option, I would. I think that people are mistakenly posting things publicly thinking that they are sending private messages.

Lets be clear here on the problem.

There are private messages and there are wall messages.

• Private messages are private and between the sender and receiver.
  • Wall messages are posted to the receivers wall and are visible to anyone who visits the receivers wall.

This works exactly like Facebook. If you post to someones wall everyone sees it.  But if you send someone a message only the recipient sees it.

What exactly do you want me to do here?  REMOVE wall messages altogether?

Peter

private messages.png