Early BCA Members, who are you?

MrEarl

I have a great appreciation of long time BCA members and their dedication and loyalty through thick and thin to remain a member of the club for as long as some of them have. Considering the meet at Allentown will be the 50th anniversary of the Buick Club of America, I am wondering if there will be any sort of recognition during the ceremonies of the longest term member present (registered)  at the meet.

I know several here fit the ranks of which I speak. I would like to see those folks with membership numbers below 10,000 post their numbers here and maybe tell of when they joined and any interesting stories or circumstances and why they joined. 

So... got a membership number less than 10,000  let us see it.  :)

Edited by MrEarl
edited to read 10,000 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

How about member # 2098.  I was a member of the original BCCA (Buick Collectors Club of America) back in 1963.  I joined the BCCA after I bought my '41 Buick (which I still own), which was my daily driver during my senior year at General Motors Institute (GMI, now Kettering University)  in Flint, MI.   (How I ended up with a '41 Buick as my daily driver is another story).  A year after the BCCA died in 1965, I got an invitation in the mail to join a new club, the BCA.  I didn't join right away, since I wanted to make sure that the new club was going to survive (looks like it did!).  I did finally join the BCA, around 1967. Attached are a couple of photo's of my '41 at a GMI car show put on by the college car club (the Firebirds)  in 1964.  I won first place in the stock sedan class (of course there were only two cars in that class!).  As you can see, the car show was in the old gymnasium.   The other photo is a picture of the '41 at a local park in 1964, when I was dating my future wife (on the left).  We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last year!

GMI Firebirds Car Show 1963 .jpg

35.jpg

108.jpg

Edited by DAVES_BUICKS (see edit history)
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Just curious:  Joining in what year gave one

a membership number of 5000?

Good question John. I had just pulled that 5000 number out of the air thinking it would probably encompass the early 70s. Please note I have raise the number  to 10,000 

25 minutes ago, DAVES_BUICKS said:

How about member # 2098.  I was a member of the original BCCA (Buick Collectors Club of America) back in 1963.  I joined the BCCA after I bought my '41 Buick (which I still own), which was my daily driver during my senior year at General Motors Institute (GMI, now Kettering University)  in Flint, MI.   (How I ended up with a '41 Buick as my daily driver is another story).  A year after the BCCA died in 1965, I got an invitation in the mail to join a new club, the BCA.  I didn't join right away, since I wanted to make sure that the new club was going to survive (looks like it did!).  I did finally join the BCA, around 1967. Attached are a couple of photo's of my '41 at a GMI car show put on by the college car club (the Firebirds)  in 1964.  I won first place in the stock sedan class (of course there were only two cars in that class!).  As you can see, the car show was in the old gymnasium.   The other photo is a picture of the '41 at a local park in 1964, when I was dating my future wife (on the left).  We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last year!

Great story Dave, just what I was hoping we would receive. Thanks so much for sharing!

My friend, Don Micheletti, out in California has a member number of 587.  I got acquainted with him through Dean Tryon's 1915/1918 Buick-McLaughlin Newsletter since he has a 1918 Buick.  He frequents the forum and if he sees this I hope that he will let us know exactly when he signed up.  I spoke with him about 10 days ago and they are going to be out of the country during the time of the meet.  I joined in 1990 (I know I'm just a short-timer) and the club was around 24 years old then, but, I have been a member for going on 27 years and I think it would be a safe bet that right now I would be considered a long time member.  What say you all about that?

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way 

Everybody knows by now, I am #55.  I think I was #303 in BCCA.  I bought the blue Buick at left in 1963, and it was black.  My first-ever car looked just like the sidemounted car at left, complete with the full leather upholstery.  That was January 29, 1955.   With my parents help, and at the suggestion of a girlfriend, I traded it in, in Washington, DC, for a 1952 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop coupe.  It was a mistake I could never rectify, except to build its twin.  That took 18 years and three restorations for an AACA Junior in 1981, but I got it all the way to AACA Grand National Senior in 2000.  Now she is a tour car.  I had hoped to have her, "Suzybelle", at Allentown, but unfortunately I was unable to do so.  But, I'll be there if the Good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise.  We came north in our second car, a nice old 2001 Buick Park Avenue with 89K on it now.  We were at Flint Meets #1 and 2, 1971 and 1972, but never made it back, except for a visit to the flea market in Richmond, VA and I don't remember what year that was.

Beauchamp 1939 Buick Blue Ridge Parkway.JPG

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Hi,  Don #587. I really regret not being able to attend Allentown.

When I joined in the mid '60's I had a '31 -67 I had just finished restoring. I ran into another guy who had a '31-67. He told me about the club and I joined.

I now have an '18-45, '38-46s and a '38 - 81.

I have also restored a 1910 model 10 and a '32 business coupe (I forget the model number, 56 I think).

Drivers were a '65 Sportwagon and a '68 Special wagon.

Right now I am doing work on the '38 46s.

I was a charter member of the Nor Cal group and chairman for a while.

When Harry Logan was editor ot the '37-'38 Club I was a technical contributor to that.

On my restorations I have done all the work myself except for plating and upholstery. I did have reboring done outside.

I have my own machine shop and when I restored the '31 I even poured my own babbit.

I am also very interested in steam locomotives - big ones. SP 2472 has taken a lot of my "hobby time"

• Like 3

My BCA number is 7338, and I joined in 1977 when I bought my first old Buick--a '58 Limited--but I really don't feel that a number like that is worth mentioning when there are guys who have two-digit and three-digit BCA numbers who are still actively involved in the club. I regularly receive classified ads from BCA #216, Frank Guildner in California; and from BCA #942, Bob Graves in Massachusetts. Bill Bicknell, BCA #738 in Missouri is a frequent parts vendor at swap meets in Oklahoma and Missouri and Kansas. Bob Graves and Bill Bicknell must have been small children when they joined, because they aren't all that old today, in my opinion! There's also Dan Slowik, BCA #296 of Illinois, who vended at the Springfield, MO meet last year and who owns the 1940 Buick TownMaster and sent me an article on it that we printed in the August 2015 issue of the magazine. There's a guy in southern California with a BCA number in the low 'teens (BCA #12 or 14?) who did an article on his 1941 Roadmaster convertible sedan that we printed about three years ago, but his name escapes me. So, a four-digit BCA number like mine doesn't impress me very much when you have guys like Dynaflash8 and Don Micheletti, and these others that I've mentioned!

Pete Phillips

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 5

A longtime and respected friend of our Buick family, Pete Fileca (BCA # 65), died three years ago and sadly there was no mention in Buick Bugle.  I posted the information here at the time if I remember correctly.  It would have been nice to see something in the Bugle about Pete since he was such a Buick Man.  RIP Pete. 

Here is the post about my old pal Pete. 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pete: You're probably thinking of Russ Aves with the 41. Interesting story on that one.  

John S.: Member 5000 appeared in the Feb 1976 Bugle.

Lamar and others: I am BCA 1649 joining in March of 1971 as a 19 year old college freshman driving a 1967 Skylark Convertible.  A 1939 Limited appeared in a local collectors used car lot and caught my attention. Bad shape but eventually acquired it and got it running. Sold much later as priorities changed; but I still have a divider window set up which was to be used to convert it to a 90L. 

I am a charter member of the Glass City Chapter which was formed in August of 1972 and have been an officer most of these past 44 years. It has been gratifying to hear some of our chapter members discuss places they have been over the years and may never have visited except to note that it was with the Buick Club. It has been my privilege to communicate with early members such as Earl B. #55, Bob Jones #54 and especially Joe Taubitz "The Old Guy". my BCA hero. The BCA Forums have added an extra dimension to my enjoyment of being a BCA member even in spite of some of the whining and disparaging remarks by some posters.  Thanks to all those who have helped me with various questions over the years.  Really looking forward to Allentown and putting faces with names.

• Like 3

"A longtime and respected friend of our Buick family, Pete Fileca (BCA # 65), died three years ago and sadly there was no mention in Buick Bugle.  I posted the information here at the time if I remember correctly.  It would have been nice to see something in the Bugle about Pete since he was such a Buick Man."

No one bothered to send a note to me about this. I would have been glad to print something if I had been notified. My email and address and phone number are all clearly printed in each issue of the magazine.

Pete Phillips

• Like 2

Thanks Pete Phillips.  I was thinking his relatives would have submitted something but apparently not.  I should have took the initiative and moved the ball forward at the time.

Some one had mentioned that there was a cost associated with printing an obit in Bugle.  Not sure if that is true or not.

Anyways, Pete Fileca was a Buick Man and won't be forgotten by the people he helped and inspired in this hobby.  Thanks.     

• Like 3

Rest in Peace, Pete Fileca, knowing your brothers in the BCA thank you for your part to make us what we are today!

I never met Pete, but obviously he touched the hearts of many.  Thanks for bringing this back around Pomeroy 41144

• Like 2

As member # 3757, looks like I just beat the 5000 cut off reported as having been displayed in the Feb 1976 Bugle.  I can't recall the actual date I joined, but it was before November of 74, as I was a member before my marriage to my lovely wife.  As a college Junior in 72, I was always fond of Buicks but I did not have one. Then my parents neighbor cracked up his 56 Roadmaster for the last time, and he gave it to me. In the summer of 73 it was straightened, painted and only sporting about 70K if I remember correctly.  I was really proud to have a Buick finally!

Then one day my brother told me he heard about a show at a place in Tarrytown, NY.  It was a Saturday and we drove the Buick over.  When we pulled in the parker asked if it was being entered in the show.  It was really just a daily driver and I did not think it was good enough for a car show, so I opted for the parking lot.  Then on the show field I was mesmerized by a 31 Buick coupe, dark royal blue body over deep glossy black fenders and the cut vases at the door post with a single red rose in each.  That fellow was a member of the BCA and he gave me the information.  Later as my brother and I walked around the show field he kept pointing to cars much more in need of work than my own, and he got me really cranked up to put the Roadmaster in the show.  He was right.  I should have entered it, but instead I thought I'd go home and doll up what I had and bring it back the next day.  Imagine my surprise when I got there on Sunday and discovered it was only a one day show!!!

Anyway I was hooked, and I sent in my BCA application. With my first Bugle the hook was set.  When my wife and I were married I asked to have her name put on the membership and it was done.  Linda has been on the roster as a member ever since. 

I was a very lucky guy to have married her.  She kept us as members for many years, and we attended Flint in 75 and Sandusky Oh in 1981.  Still have the sticker on the windshield from the 81 event.  But for a few years beginning in 1983, when my kids were in grade school and sports/scouts etc, I lapsed.  After a while though we rejoined and were pleasantly surprised to get our number back.  And we've been constant since 1988 or so.

It's been a fun Club for me, and we love attending the National Meets.  Have been on a run since Concord NC in 2012.  Hope to keep active for a long time to come.

• Like 8

BCA # 5168 here, and my first Bugle was the November, 1975 issue.  The issue included an article written by Bob Alberini -- "Century to Centurion" -- and I mailed him a letter in response to the article.  I first met Bob at the Buick 75th Anniversary national meet in Flint, 1978, and look forward to seeing him once again in Allentown.

I was a first year graduate student when I joined the BCA -- a Christmas gift from Mom and Dad.  I obtained information about joining from the kind owner of a '58 Limited, which I test drove with hopes of buying.  I never succeeded in buying that Limited, but have gained a wealth of wonderful friends through the BCA.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I sat next to Jim Campbell BCA #357 for years at Buick Product Engineering in the Base Engine Group.  He's long retired but well last time I saw him in September of 2015.  He lives in Perry, Michigan.  Still has his cars.  Wonderful man and fascinating Buick tales as his father managed a Buick Dealership in the Akron, Ohio area from the 1930s to after WWII.  He is an expert on 1937 to 1942s and darn near on the ones after that too.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 10:33 PM, MrEarl said:

Considering the meet at Allentown will be the 50th anniversary of the Buick Club of America, I am wondering if there will be any sort of recognition during the ceremonies of the longest term member present (registered)  at the meet.

still wonderin....

If you had gone to Allentown, you would not be still wonderin...:P:D

But it's pretty safe to say that one of the earliest members was Mr. Bulgari, and I can tell you that there were a lot of people rightfully singing his praise!

• Like 1

Yes,  in Allentown they did a recognition of early member's and had them stand up for an applause. I think they asked for 1000 or lower , but I know only a couple people stood up.

In Washington state a friend and fellow Buick member is Russ Leeds. 1966 He was visiting in CA when he was 34 and was invited to join a new Buick club.

Russ has the number #40.

So this has me wondering is he one of or the oldest member still with us?

Steve Fisher #43626

Edited by superbuick (see edit history)
  • Like 1