Best heater core for 63 with A/C

rodneybeauchamp

Which is the best replacement heater core for 63 Riviera with air conditioning?

Have read somewhere that one brand has the inlet and outlets too short.

Looking for one that won't leak and is exact fit as I don't want to have this much fun again! 

Please share your opinions, thanks

Rodney

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your reply.

that was my first choice however the shop has quoted me AUS400.00  ( which sometimes seems like US$3.50 with our poor exchange rate) to have one especially made up.  Hence my question here.

So I either buy a quality replacement or find a good core and reuse my tanks. 

I bought one from http://www.oldbuickparts.com/ for $129.50 USD however it's still about a month off arriving so I can't tell you if it's a true replacement. Obviously you'll be looking at more like $250 AUD by the time you get it. Prices here being what they are I usually don't even bother checking for a local solution as they are always absurdly expensive. One local mob wanted $700 AUD for a compressor that I bought for $340 USD.

Hi Ed,

i would like to go that way myself however that core is not a standard off the shelf unit in Australia.  Hence the price for a one off specially made.

Is it possible to purchase new quality core in the US? I have a fitter here who can attach my existing tanks.

Happy to travel this path if feasible.

Any time you are working on an existing heater core it is a good idea to slice the hose along the length of the inlet and outlet tubes with a razor knife so you can gently peel the old hose away. I saves the damage that can be caused by twisting and pulling on the hose.

Bernie

Cores and one end are the same for air and non-air cars. Difference is the fittings are longer on the air cars. Compare your new one and old one close when you get them. If they are different, you can have the old tank end with the fittings removed from the old core and fitted to the new core. More expense, and maybe they are making an actual air core now with the longer fittings, but I couldn't find one when I had to replace mine.