34 FORDOR

251 cu in oil filter

I have a 251 cu in. 6 cyl engine with a full flow oil filter which screws on to an aluminium housing  . Should there be a valve to stop the filter draining  when the engine is not running.   

Edited by 34 FORDOR (see edit history)

I looked in my factory repair manual and it doesn't seem to have any information on such a valve. It says to replace the filter every 5000 miles when the engine is hot. Drain the filter housing by removing the drain plug at the bottom then take the top off and change the filter element.

Why do you ask?

• Like 1

Rusty  Thanks for your reply.  I am concerned the filter will drain when the engine is switch off and will need to refill  , therefore taking longer to get oil to the bearings etc when re started.

I don't think this is a problem, if it was Chrysler engineers would have put in a one way valve. You can keep an eye on the oil pressure when starting, it should come up in a few seconds like any other car.

Newer Chrysler products have spin on filters with a built in anti drain back valve. I don't recall anything like that on the cartridge filter. So they probably have a valve in the oiling system.

Is your oil filter a modern type spin on element mounted on the adapter that is bolted to the block?

I recall a cast aluminum housing bolted to the block which took Fram CH-192PL cartridges.

c49 er.  --  Grimy       Yes that is what I have . I think some thing is missing . If I  remove the filter after the car has been sitting over night it has drained out ,----  completely empty.  If there is no drain back valve  available I intend to fit a piece of 7/16 tube into the steel fitting the filter screws on to, about 4in long , which will extend up inside the center of the filter and stop the oil from draining out. 

A scan from a parts manual would be helpful here,  It was 40 years ago when I removed the filter housing from a removed engine to repaint the block, and remember little of the details.  Do you still have a center tube in the housing over which the filter is installed?

Must be this 1949-54 factory filter. assembly .. not the more modern type found on fork lifts etc like I asked...

Don't worry about the oil draining out of the filter.. the way the tube in the housing is made prevents oil from draining out and back into the pan via the oil line passages.

Oil Filter Housing  1954 265 Chrysler .JPG

Oil Filter Housing C-49 Parts Engine details (2).JPG

The filter is a modern screw on type which screws down onto the the housing ., ( up side down  ) possibly  off an industrial engine ?

c49er  the lower part of my housing is like your photo ,but the top section is flat  with a steel fitting  which the filter screws on to. 

Thank you for all the replies

Is it like this spin on filter assembly on my 265 flathead in my 52 dodge 1 ton? It came off a much later industrial flathead engine I put on it in the 70's.

Oil Filter 265 Spin On.JPG

Yes that is the same as mine , I guess a previous owner has changed it.

That type of filter should have the built in anti drain back valve I mentioned. It was standard on slant six filters which also mount upside down. Don't buy Fram filters they are rubbish. NAPA Gold, Hastings, Purolator or Wix are better.

The anti drain back valve is a rubber flap you can see inside the ring of holes that surround the center hole. You can easily check for it when buying a filter.

I agree Rusty.... don't buy Fram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are trash!

Buy NAPA Gold or WIX.

My filter has the anti drain back flap in it , the oil is draining back through the center hole .  I have fitted a pipe into the steel fitting which the filter screws onto , it extends up into the filter about 3 ins, so this should fix the problem.  

Well done on a simple fix.

On what basis do you Gentlemen consider Fram filters to be poor?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I used to use Fram filters ( up to about 2000) but because of what people said about them being so bad I switched to WIX/ NAPA Gold (same one) Etc.

There is so much negativity about the poor quality filter media / weak casings, bad check valves etc... on and on.

I never saw a failure after installing hundreds of them on customers cars either.

Years ago I installed a rebuilt Ford 302 small block in a Fairmont that that the oil pressure was up close to 100lbs because of a stuck oil pressure relief valve. The filter can swelled about 1/4" but never blew apart.

There are literally millions of cars running around with Fram filters and no issues... period. They work fine.

I just have never gone back to them.

In the early 1980s, Consumer Reports magazine rated Fram oil filters as the best on the market and accordingly I used them for 20 years with no issues.  Probably about 15 years ago I began to hear anecdotes about quality issues, perhaps related to offshore manufacturing.  I then switched to Wix/NAPA (NAPA filters are made by Wix), or Motorcraft for my 1995 and 1999 Ford trucks.

Do a net search. Some guys have taken Fram filters apart and show that they are poorly made. The filter material not properly fastened down, the filter capped by a bit of cardboard glued on. Some are ok, some do not filter at all because they have holes or gaps for unfiltered oil to run through.

You could use Fram filters for years and never know the difference, and never have an engine failure that you could prove to be caused by a faulty filter. Do you feel lucky? There are better filters for the same price or a few dollars more. Your choice.

If you use whatever brand of filter you like and never have an engine failure and are happy.....then keep doing it.

Statements on the net are not the word of God.

Oh and I got rid of that Fram and Installed a NAPA Gold and new 30W oil. Drove the truck 1000 miles in 18 years!

Oil Filter Change B3D July 9 2016 (4).JPG

Oil Filter Change B3D July 9 2016 (5).JPG

265 Spin On Oil Filter Adapter Tube.JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

c49er . Your last photo is the filter housing which I have , but the center part had no metal pipe. Some one has obviously changed it in the past . I would like one of those if any one has a spare.   Thanks for all the help guys.

Mine is original. These spin on filters are really hard to find for the flat head full flow engines. I have no spares.