Series 9B

busaf4

I have my 1922 B series 9 clutch put back together with new through out bearings and a replacement clutch plate. Adjusted clutch per manual and the clutch barely engages when the pedal is at the top 1/2" to 1/4: of pedal travel. There is pressure on the clutch pedal for the entire length of travel .Car will move in first and reverse only on flat terrain, slips in second. I suspect the two fiber friction rings labeled B and D on figure 19 of the Series 9 instruction book may be too far worn.

Would like a second opinion on my diagnosis  If my diagnosis is correct, where can I get these fiber rings made up

Hoping to have this car at the Trek

Thank you

Art Lee

Tom

I have zero free play. Clutch grabs (not completely) at approximately. 1/2" from top. Clutch linkage is set at mid point.  Followed clutch adjusting procedure in manual and it did not make a difference (tried loosing and tightening). There were spacer washers placed on the inside of old clutch cover where the bolts go through. The old clutch cover had a chunk of the casting missing plus a crack over the thrust bearing that was very apparent when the clutch pedal was pushed down). The drawings do no show these washers and they were not put back

Art 

Art - 

No free-play is the clue...

Have you gone through the procedure to loosen the two large adjusting bolts in the curved slots on the clutch cover?  The bolt heads move clockwise, from the rear view, toward the right part of the curved slot to add free-play.  Once the bolt heads are all the way to the right, at the end of the slot, then new clutch linings are needed. This adjustment is the critical clutch adjustment and the linkage should never need to be adjusted to add or reduce free play, 

But, perhaps things changed when you changed the throw-out bearing - so you will have to play with it to get it to work.  The adjusting bolts in the slots should only be as far to the right of the slot as necessary to get the linkage to work and have 1/2" or so of free play at the pedal.   The further to the left of the slot you can go, the lighter the clutch action. 

Let me know how you make out.

Tom Rasmussen

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I had to cancel my trek travel plans last week. Bummer - I have never before missed two Treks in a row (since 1981)!

I will be doing some prep work for the upcoming New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run.  I think I heard there are Seven Franklins registered (all must be 1908 or older), so this will be quite a showing for Franklin!

Have  a great Trek Week!

tom