Replacement struts required???

Just noticed that the driver side front wheel of my 16 valve TC is slightly rubbing against the inner fender liner when turning left. Slight wear is evident on both the fender liner and the tire itself. Presume this means that the struts need to be replaced. Need suggestions re. a source and type of replacement strut to use.

Jim Bird

I got a kit from Rock Auto that included everything.  I installed it and test drove it in November.  Big improvement.  I will not drive it until Spring when I get it aligned. 

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total 1989 CHRYSLER TC MASERATI 2.2L 135cid L4 Turbocharged SOHC MONROE KITSMB276 Strut & Mount Kit $ 106.79 - 1 $ 106.79 MONROE

[Kit Component] Strut Bellow

$ 9.33 $ 0.00 2 - MONROE

[Kit Component] Strut Mount

$ 12.71 $ 0.00 2 - MONROE

[Kit Component] Strut

$ 31.36 $ 0.00 2 - Shipping Ground $ 17.30 Order Total   $ 124.

I know these aren't sports cars, but I simply can't recommend Sens-a-CRAP struts. I had these on my '90 Daytona and the valving was just not correct. WAY too stiff, to the point of jarring over rough stuff, and much too soft on gradual stuff....the exact opposite of what they claim to do. To give an idea, the car actually rode better with Eibach lowering springs and Koni adjustable performance struts!

A good choice would be something like the KYB GR2. These cars have a light enough spring rate that they should perform well. My TC currently has GR2 rear shocks and it rides and handles nicely. The KYB Gas-a-just products are a step above the GR2, however the might stiffen the ride a little. I plan to possibly install some of these from my parts car if they are still good.

Also, do not use the pre-assembled strut/spring kits. That is what was on the front of my parts car and they are entirely too stiff. That car rode like a brick compared to my driver.

If you can find some Bilstein struts and shocks, that would be a good thing.

There's also the option of adapting other model cars' struts, but that can require modifications to the car. The plus side is the selection of products increases quite a bit.

Guest EmmettTC

I have Gas-a-just on the rear of mine and I love them. Perfect if you load the trunk occasionally, no decrease in handling. I regularly put in about 120 pounds of music equipment in the trunk so it was a must for me. Unloaded, they're a bit on the stiff side but not uncomfortable. On the freeway they are a monster and will take anything you give it.