1908 Sears Model "L"

My Sears Model "L" smokes excessively while running. It may need an overhaul and if anyone has information on the rings, bearings, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. This car has been sitting for years, and I am just now getting into how the motor runs. I have no manuals or information on this engine and since there is oil on the topside of the piston, I assume rings need to be replaced. Where or who has parts for this car. thanks

Having just rebuilt the engine on my 1906 Buick, I'd say you will be better off to do a complete restoration of the engine. My Buick had been done half way about 5 times. I guess I'm of the opinion that as temperary gaurdians of these cars we must always look at repairs long term. Always leave the car better than when you found it and repair to the highest standard possible so no one has to come behind you and fix your mistakes.<P>Now that I'm off my high horse, I'd guess that Egge could make pistons and rings. A local antique car machine shop should be able to do your babbit bearings. If you need additional resources, send me a direct message and I'll see if I can source local help.<P> DGPoff@aol.com