1958 Buick Dynaflow transmission PNDLR question

Texasdino

Hi,

I have a 1958 Buick Special 4 door Sedan with Dynaflow transmission PNDLR.

The transmission oil is fresh, filter is clean and in warm condition exactly in right high.

The engine is running with 485 rpm.

The transmission works smouth but when the engine is warm and I shift the transmission 

in reverse I feel a hard working, It makes  "clunk"  when the motor is cold no hard shifting no "clunk".

Ok, my "Dino" is 58 years old and maybe in the 50´s it was normal.

What is the problem or is that normal?

Thanks for informations.

Jens from Germany

Hi,

thanks for your meaning.

All motor mounts and transmission mount are brand new. Also the body mounts and every rubber on my car.

Only if the clutch is warm and I put the transmission in reverse it makes a hard clunk.

So I will reduce the engine running from 485 rpm to 450 rtm. Maybe it is more better.

Thanks and have a nice sunday.

Jens  

• Like 1

Hi Big Dan,

thanks, 

Are you sure?

Next situation.

When I drive my car and I take my foot from gas pedal the rear axle make noise like singing wheel from trucks fare a way at the highway.

Do you now what I mean??

When I take gas singing is over.

What can it be?

Oil in rear axle housing is fresh.

Thank for your support.

Jens 

Jens, the singing song is usually related to a bearing / bearing race scenario.  Jack up the rear end completely off the ground and put adequate stands on the frame to secure safely and then shake the car side to side and make sure car is stabile and the front wheels fully blocked so the car cannot move forward.  Then making sure the emergency brake is fully Released and free, have someone get into the driver's seat and while they have their foot on the brake pedal, start the engine, then have them shift the car into the various gear positions.  While doing this they can also take their foot off the brake allowing the axle to turn via engine idle speed alone in each gear.  All the while you get into position under and to one or the other side and observe and listen for movements, noises and finding their locations.  This test and observation will tell you many things and help to isolated culprits you may be experiencing while actually driving your car.  Also while your rear wheels are off the ground, grab each tire/wheel and attempt to move it to the 3:00 o-clock position then to the 9:00 o-clock position, all the while listening for abnormal noises or movements coming from the axle hub or the center rear end axle pinion area(s).  Report back as to what you discover.

What about if you maintain throttle and apply the foot brakes to slow the car?  What about if you maintain throttle and sway the car from side to side, does the noise change then too?  Or just on closed-throttle deceleration (driving in a straight line)?  Just curious.

NTX5467

Hi, 

thanks for all comments, 

I will check the tips from buick man and I will posting the result.

The noising is on the straight road, gas a way than it is noise but not in every speed.

I remember the speed was roundabout 37 miles.

If I have a lower speed it´s no noise.

The rear bearings are fresh, without noise

OK, I will check it.

Jens