1928 Gardner

I'm looking for valve springs for my 1928 Gardner. It has a 225 cu in Lycoming engine. I have seen that the valve springs for my car are the same as those for an Auburn 76, 88 105 from 1928 plus some others. Could anyone tell me where I can purchase some valve springs like these. Thanks Mike

Thanks, I'll call after the holiday. The Gardner suffered a broken valve spring. The engine would make a strange bell like sound, besides running crumby. The valves seem to be OK, but a little closer inspection is needed. The engine was last worked on about 35 years ago and rebuilt maybe 25 years prior to that. In the picture you can see the missing valve. That is the spot where the spring failure took place. No 4th of July parades this year. I'm hoping that I can find enough valve springs to replace them all. And maybe I can just lap the valves. If not a valve job is in the future. This car is a Model 75 with the 225 cu inch inline 8 engine.

IMG_0616.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Well.... I purchased new springs from EGGE machine, plus a number of new valves. BUT... we dropped a horse shoe keeper into the oil pan. So the pan had to come off. Now I'd like to check the bearings, but don't have any torque spec's for the rods or mains. Also Curti, you sent me the name of a guy who knows these engines, but I lost it. Could you send it again? I'd appreciate it. Thanks Mike

Guest Indianfour
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:56 PM, Mike_Zahorik said:

No..... just a valve refresh and some new springs. The engine was sound and would develop good pull. Mike

Mike:  Just sent you a P.M.!