old-tank

Texas Road Warriors --- Allentown Assault

460 miles to Port Allen LA...just west of Baton Rouge. Pooped!  400+ to home and another 70 miles to pick up the critters.

Everything at this point is functioning well even the ac.  As Mike says 'everything is dialed in'.

Still maintaining 16 mpg with lots of hills and ac engaged.

Willie

• Like 5

Home about 4 PM Tuesday after and 11 hour day in the Texas heat. Left Memphis at 5 am trying to beat some of the heat. Did well till about noon and then we started cooking. 

Tried opening the windows through Dallas but it was not any better.  A/C ran fine until Monday afternoon, still getting cold air out at the vents, just not cooling the car.

Car ran fine all day but still have some crap in the gas. will have to drain the tank now that I am home.

Speedometer broke on Sunday, it reads 120 mph all the time and the Speedminder goes off when you are sitting still. Not to mention the grinding noises it makes. 

'Over all a good trip, Almost 4000 miles (3980) in our new (to us) 1960 Electra. Comfortable, easy car to drive.  Likes 68 MPH, but will cruise all day at 75 when you are in a hurry to get home. Eats lots of premium fuel, I would say 10 - 12 mpg but have not figured the total trip out yet.  

Had a great time at the meet, seeing a lot of people I only see once a year.

See you all again next year.

Below is the picture of my car at the Buick Dealer in Bristol VA. Nicer bunch of folks could not be found.

IMG_0843.jpg

• Like 9

Bill,

Glad to see you, Dee and the car are home safe, despite a few incidents.  Glad I did not have your distance as the fuel line in the Reatta started leaking after getting home and starting the 10 mile trip to our storage garage.

And it was a pleasure working with you and Dee on the bus trips.  Thanks for your guidance.

John.

Got home yesterday.  430 miles from Allen Springs LA.  Car is running and cooling well and ready to go again after inspection and oil change.  3800 miles total at 16 mpg; 1.5 qt oil used.  Moving avg speed 62 mph; highest speed 92 mph:o.

Made it through Houston and never dropped below 55 mph (a new record).

Noticed all over the country a lot of trucks with plain white vans and cabs with only a few numbers:  Oooooo..x-files?

Had to get south of Birmingham AL before I could again start using turn signals to change lanes...if you tried that north of there traffic would immediately close the gap.

Roads were in better repair this year (but then again I did not drive through Oklahoma or Arkansas) and never did get caught in any prolonged traffic jams.

The Diamond back radials on Toyo casings are the best tires I have had on any vehicle:  smooth quiet and responsive!

One thing for sure that will get changed since the car is not judged anymore are the headlights.  Driving back from the banquet in the rain with dim lights and my old dim eyes is not a good combination.  A little car behind me had its lights projecting under my car and that was a noticeable improvement for awhile.  Those with 6v sealed beams and earlier  probably had a worse time of it.

Great meet and people, but you never get to see everyone you want to see.

Note to National Meet committee:  stop having meets in July!  It is alway at least 2 days of hot driving to get out of Texas no matter how cool the meet location.  Early June?

Willie

• Like 7

June means Canadian children are still in school. That's why it was just Suzanne and I in Springfield last year. 

That said, you can never please all the people all the time. 

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

June means Canadian children are still in school. That's why it was just Suzanne and I in Springfield last year. 

That said, you can never please all the people all the time. 

Move to Texas

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Move to Texas

EVERYBODY ELSE IS!  Y'all might as well join 'em.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2016 at 2:22 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

Home about 4 PM Tuesday after and 11 hour day in the Texas heat. Left Memphis at 5 am trying to beat some of the heat. Did well till about noon and then we started cooking. 

Tried opening the windows through Dallas but it was not any better.  A/C ran fine until Monday afternoon, still getting cold air out at the vents, just not cooling the car.

Car ran fine all day but still have some crap in the gas. will have to drain the tank now that I am home.

Speedometer broke on Sunday, it reads 120 mph all the time and the Speedminder goes off when you are sitting still. Not to mention the grinding noises it makes. 

'Over all a good trip, Almost 4000 miles (3980) in our new (to us) 1960 Electra. Comfortable, easy car to drive.  Likes 68 MPH, but will cruise all day at 75 when you are in a hurry to get home. Eats lots of premium fuel, I would say 10 - 12 mpg but have not figured the total trip out yet.  

Had a great time at the meet, seeing a lot of people I only see once a year.

See you all again next year.

Below is the picture of my car at the Buick Dealer in Bristol VA. Nicer bunch of folks could not be found.

IMG_0843.jpg

Thought for a second this was a black and white, then saw the blue shirt. Cool shot

• Like 1

There and back and not a single Willie 55 Century shot. Not even of visiting famous Buick Gardens. Willie did you know your cell phone can also be used as a camera?

I bet his comeback will be "I drive my Buicks, I don't take pictures of them" ..... anybody want to bet.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 5:53 PM, old-tank said:

Note to National Meet committee:  stop having meets in July!  It is alway at least 2 days of hot driving to get out of Texas no matter how cool the meet location.  Early June?

Willie

I think they asked thoughts on that in the last survey. Maybe they should ask it again in a survey done in late July or August.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

There and back and not a single Willie 55 Century shot. Not even of visiting famous Buick Gardens. Willie did you know your cell phone can also be used as a camera?

I bet his comeback will be "I drive my Buicks, I don't take pictures of them" ..... anybody want to bet.

:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I think they asked thoughts on that in the last survey. Maybe they should ask it again in a survey done in late July or August.

Yes, and leave out responses from those in the cooler norther states :o

• Like 2